Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Replacing Heater core...Who to buy from?

ironmoo

Corvette
1982 white/red interior
Winter projects coming up!
I'm replacing the interior/weather stripping/ and adding a DeWitt Radiator. Plans include to get ahead of the curve and replace the heater core/hoses at the same time.
While there are no problems with core I'm aware off, it has been 15 years since a replacement.
I'm told GM does not make them anymore and been keeping on eye on Ebay for an NOS one.

Prefer to buy American parts, any suggestions?

-MoO!:)

you might want to test the new core before installing it, sometimes the new one can leak.

Winter projects coming up!
I'm replacing the interior/weather stripping/ and adding a DeWitt Radiator. Plans include to get ahead of the curve and replace the heater core/hoses at the same time.
While there are no problems with core I'm aware off, it has been 15 years since a replacement.
I'm told GM does not make them anymore and been keeping on eye on Ebay for an NOS one.

Prefer to buy American parts, any suggestions?

-MoO!:)

During a interior rebuild I bought a heater core from autozone. It was made in mexico and had bad solder joint. $32 I think. Anyway I returned it for a refund and found that napa could get a core from their warehouse in CA. $52 I think and usa made. The fit was perfect and no leaks. Test the core before installing, this is not a job you want to do twice

During a interior rebuild I bought a heater core from autozone. It was made in mexico and had bad solder joint. $32 I think. Anyway I returned it for a refund and found that napa could get a core from their warehouse in CA. $52 I think and usa made. The fit was perfect and no leaks. Test the core before installing, this is not a job you want to do twice

I second that. I used a napa version. REALLY well made, no leaks, heavy duty. Don't remember if it was USA made or not.

As far as fit, the only part I had to tweak was the metal bracket that holds the core in the box, and fits between the in and out pipes on the core. The in and out pipes were more substantial then the origional, so I had to bend the bracket a bit to make sure it fit right. . .but that was a very minor issue.

Thanks for the info.
The tip about checking the testing the new heater core before installing is a good one!
;)

I bought a heater core...made in Mexico and dubious if the welds are okay. Went to Napa Auto Parts today and all they list now is the Chinese-made Heater cores for my year.

Any other American-made heater cores out there, please let me know!
I'll spend the extra $ to keep my American Sports car American. :D

-MOo!

Wish I could help, but my '82 also needs a heater core.

Have you looked at Mid America Motorworks? I buy lots of stuff from them and have had good luck.

Definitely pressure test whatever you get before putting it in the car.

Good luck!!!

I had a couple of USA ones left over here and sold them for $40. I know that doesn't help you now but I check every heater core by applying about 20 psi of air through it and placing it in a bucket of water. Also check to see if you have any real radiator shops in your area, they're also becoming obsolete these days but if you find one they may have old stock or can build you one that will last.

I bought a heater core...made in Mexico and dubious if the welds are okay. Went to Napa Auto Parts today and all they list now is the Chinese-made Heater cores for my year.

-MOo!
Answer is no. All cores are made off shore. I have done this job 3 times. Replaced the origional , leaking again in 3 months, then fix it for good. This is my advice. Buy a core. The leaks come from bad soldering unable to handle the installation process. Remove your firewall arround the heater fan. [5 screws] Take the core and the firewall to the radiator shop. Have the shop unsolder the tanks and re-silver solder the core tanks back on USING the firewall as a template. The foreign cores don't allow for the firewall thickness. This way your ports are pre-set for your car and you stand a lessor chance of causing a stress induced leak . good luck

Good advice SR-71. I replaced mine years ago when I first rebuilt my motor. I managed to make a leak in my heater core when replacing the heater hoses. I ordered my new core from ZIP and so far it has been good. That was probably in my corvettes 2nd year with me. It has been with me for about 11 years now.

USA made heater cores are available......

Answer is no. All cores are made off shore.......

Gentlemen,

Yes! There is a place in Denton, Texas that specializes in USA made heater cores for vehicles from the 30's to present day.

You can contact them at (toll-free) 877-542-8192 :beer

They also sell on ebay under the vendor name of airparts8775428192 and have current listing for Corvettes.

I don't own a Corvette, but I hope this will help any of those looking for a quality replacement.

As this is my first post, I hope I haven't broken any rules by listing this information. If so, please forgive me. I ran across this forum and particular post when searching for a heater core for an acquaintance on another forum for Chevrolets.

Glad to hear there's someone left here in the USA that will do this.

Personally, I would not replace the core if it wasn't necessary. If it's not leaking now, it may never leak. Your replacement may end up giving you more problems than your original.

:)

Personally, I would not replace the core if it wasn't necessary. If it's not leaking now, it may never leak. Your replacement may end up giving you more problems than your original.

:)
Never leak ? My guess is your '68s been changed or by passed and your '82 is wait'in to go

-MOo!
yeah like a new camaro :chuckle

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom