Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: replacing outer door seals

cop1270

Corvette
1991 Turquoise Convertible
I am planning to replace the outer door seals of my "91" roadster using the standard GM ones. It appears that the door panels will have to be removed, or at least loosend, to access the hex screws that bind the seals to the door. Would this be a big job for a not so talented old guy to undertake? It even appears that the window, even though down all the way, may somewhat hamper getting access to the screws.
Thanks to anyone who may have done this and can advise.

Sir...you must be new because this topic has been discussed several times in the archives. Learn how to use the archives....ha ha ha ha...gotcha, dad!

Anyone else reading this....I taught my dad how to use the archives today!!! I told him he "could get some harsh replies" for not searching the archives first! We're having fun.

Talk to you later!

Greg

Newbees learn, but I wouldn't rake you over the coals for such a thing. There have been quite a few discussions about this very subject, but if you still have questions....don't hesitate to ask.

:w

Actually, we do have questions. We looked in a few of the popular vendor catalogs. There seems to be two types of window outer seals. One has the rivets and the other does not. I believe it is the GM version that doesn't. Either way, which is the best to purchase? Is one easier to install than than the other? My dad wants to keep the car as original as possible, so I was assuming the GM part would be best.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

This was one of the first little maintenance items I did on my 94. I bought the new parts from Superior Chevy in KC (can't recall the phone # right off but I asked for Chris May (tell him you are a forum member and he'll give you a good price.

Mine had rivets, not bad to drill out, just be careful and don't drill through the outside of the door, then I used a pop rivet gun to install the new ones.

This was one of the first little maintenance items I did on my 94. I bought the new parts from Superior Chevy in KC (can't recall the phone # right off but I asked for Chris May (tell him you are a forum member and he'll give you a good price.

Mine had rivets, not bad to drill out, just be careful and don't drill through the outside of the door, then I used a pop rivet gun to install the new ones.

You did this after taking off the inside door panel, correct? I have a "91" roadster and it looks as though the anti-rattle cushions must come off before installing the new outer door seal which would neccitate removing the door panel.

Yes the door panel comes off to gain access to the rivets, so they can be drilled out.

Just a little tip I learned the hard way. When you reinstall them and are pressing down...do it with the door closed or support the door well!
I bent the hinge. :bash
Sure it was old and a little weak...but it wasnt that bad till I messed it up! More work!:W

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom