Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rough engine

77vette

My 1977 L48 3-speed automatic runs smooth at idle, with an occasional misfire and runs smooth at regular speed, but when I floor it and go into passing gear, it misfires,spits and sputters and finally comes out of passing gear and resumes a smooth ride. The plugs and wires are new. It has a new rebuilt Holley carb.....Any suggestions.

I would check the float level in the carb. If it were out of adjustment, meaning low fuel level, then under acceleration it would be starving the engine of fuel. You mentioned sputtering and that sounds very much like running out of gas. Smooth cruising speed would be unaffected by a low level in the fuel bowel. The best part of this problem (float level), is its' a no $$ fix! Rick

When you replaced the spark plug wires did you keep them off the exhaust manifolds?? If one is touching it burnt the element in the wire also check your timing..Good Luck:cool

Check for vacuum leak at base of carb. Take some carb cleaner and while the engine is at idle, spray some cleaner at the base plate. If the speed goes up, you have a leak that will give a lean condition at higher speeds. Also check that the vacuum line to the auto trans is reconnected.:cool :cool

One more little quick check

77vette,

Might check the timing, also if the dwell is wrong it will show up at WOT. One thing about our GM cars dwell is easy to adjust ;)

Good Luck
BudD
:w

Thanks for the input guys.....I'll check all your suggestions...:w

Higher engine speeds require greater fuel supply; have you check / replaced fuel filter? Check fuel pressure at higher rpms to insure correct fuel pump pressure. Check bronze / stone in-line fuel filter at carb inlet.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom