Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Rubber bushing kits

Any auto parts house has everything you need for the front, you'll have to go to any catalog house for the rears. PG

summit racing sells a few complete kits. i recently ordered one by energy suspensions made from polyurathane. i think it was 175.00 I AM HAVING DIFFICULTY removing my old bushings from the upper and lower control arms. any ideas?

summit racing sells a few complete kits. i recently ordered one by energy suspensions made from polyurathane. i think it was 175.00 I AM HAVING DIFFICULTY removing my old bushings from the upper and lower control arms. any ideas?
My 81 shop manual shows a lengthy procedure and a number of special tools required to do the job. You may want to talk to a local auto parts shop that also does bearing and bushing removal / installation work. They should have the abor press and other speciality tools that will do the job correctly and eliminate a lot of xxxx Language, some jobs are best left to the Professionals.

... I AM HAVING DIFFICULTY removing my old bushings from the upper and lower control arms. any ideas?...

You can burn out the old with a propane torch to get rid of most of the mess (off the car, of course). Installation of the new usually requires a press, although some of the urethane bushings are advertized as being slip fit.

:)

I've heard people say that the urethane bushings make our old cars ride way to harsh, in terms of transferring energy from bumps and whatnot. I hear it's an overall harder material than the OEM rubber and definitely rattles you more than the rubber bushings.

I have no personal experience with either, so I am not speaking with authority on this. Just passing along info that may or may not be true. (Although I like to think that most of my "I've heard"s are more true than false. :D)

My friend w/ the '66 had me put in urethane control arm bushings (before they had the graphite impregnated ones) and not only made it ride like a truck but the squeaking was unbelievable.

...I've heard people say that the urethane bushings make our old cars ride way to harsh, in terms of transferring energy from bumps and whatnot...

Yep.

...I hear it's an overall harder material than the OEM rubber...

Yep. Much much less flex in the urethane bushings. Less flex means a harsher ride for a daily driver. You honestly don't need urethane bushings unless you have an application where less flex is the desired outcome.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom