Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Rumor Mill: V6 Corvette is Coming

Would a V6 powered Corvette be ok as an additional model to the Corvette family?

• Yes

Votes: 49 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 727 91.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 23 2.9%

• Total voters
No need for apologies. We're enjoying reading all the thoughts about this subject from people who are passionate about Corvettes.

Keep it coming, folks.

OK then Bob lets drop a V-6 in 67HEAVEN :L or would you like 2 of them? The V-6 has come a long ways for sure but just can't see it in the Corvette today.

Bill

Last time I checked, Corvette was a model of the Chevrolet brand, not its own brand. Sting Ray is (to me) associated with Corvette. Another name not associated closely with Corvette would be OK, but leave the Corvette alone. Manta Ray, Cheeta, even Hammerhead maybe.... Devil Ray?

OK then Bob lets drop a V-6 in 67HEAVEN :L or would you like 2 of them? The V-6 has come a long ways for sure but just can't see it in the Corvette today.

Bill

Bill,

As soon as they offer a V6 with at least 567 ft-lb of torque, I'll consider it. ;)

Bill,

As soon as they offer a V6 with at least 567 ft-lb of torque, I'll consider it.

I hear you Bob, that would be my feelings as well. GM, Chevrolet and etc. is going to have a hard time ever coming up with a V-6 with the low end torque of the famed "BIG BLOCK" or even the high revs of the small block. I know times are changing and V-6's of today are much improved but give me the V-8 and esspecially in the CORVETTE.

Bill

Bill

Bill you are making my day with your comments on the Corvette. Keep up the good comments, you are thinking just like me about the vette. I have so much literature on corvettes through the years, and this is not the first time that GM has thought about changing the engine in the corvette. Remember the L-88, we bought that car for speed, not for just cruising. Anyway I will be surprised if GM changes the V8, they still used the V8 in the ZR-1, and changed it because of cost, and refinement in the LT-1 engine. Have a good day. Larry

hoosierdaddy said:
I don't like to be scolded :mad so to speak and maybe it wasn't directed at me and I took it personally.

Once again, I was definitely not speaking towards you, or anyone else. Nor did I mean for it to come off negatively. I don't see it.

No one ever came out and said that GM was going to put a V-6 in a Corvette

Actually, yes, Rob did say that. The thread title is "Rumor Mill: V6 Corvette is Coming." And hence, page after page of people saying "No V6 in a Corvette." I wanted to put my 2 cents in that the article didn't say anything, not even a rumor, that supported that claim. Had nothing to do specifically with you or your post, again.

Can we all debate it? Of course. I just felt like making that point. Nothing more, nothing less.

Brett...Bill... You are both already rehashing old posts in this very thread! :L

Post 42 & 43... check 'em... ;)

Brett...Bill... You are both already rehashing old posts in this very thread!

I did go back and read post #42 & #43 and never for a minute thought this was anything other than the rumor mill. But I do disagree with you saying that "Sting Ray" does not designate Corvette, other than the fish (mamal or what ever it's called) what else have you have seen it on? Oh wait a minute I remember a bicyle called the "Sting Ray" too :L In the end if GM thinks it will sell it will come to be but I don't have to like it and that is all I am saying. I know all of this is a marketing thing and if it pulls GM out of the slump more power to them but I have my doubts this will do it. I guess in the end all I care about is my Corvette having a V-8 in it. . . . . . . . :_rock

This was a topic for discussion petaining to rumor has it about a V-6 in a Corvette. Maybe I got a little ouchy about it and if I did I'm sorry, and rest assured it was unintentional. I think it is time for me to get out of this thread anyway.

Color me gone as they say. . . . . . .

Bill :)

I had spotted this V6 "vette" some time ago, and recieved assurance that Lutz himself killed the project... at least in its form that it was in; which was a solstice, with larger brakes, and a bigger engine.

I'm told pontiac guys really wanted this machine themselves

Hmmm, I seem to recall a concept car Chevy paraded around from a few years ago called the Nomad. It was on the Kappa platform, just like the Solstice and Sky concepts. The car looked very much like the original '50's Nomad concept, the one based on the '53 Corvette. Perhaps this is the source of the V6 Vette rumor. Personally, it was a pretty cool car. However, it's NOT a Corvette, nor would any V6-powered imitation. Remember, the Corvette almost died before it got started, mostly because of the lack of real power. Corvette = V8!!

1953/1954

It was good for the first two years, why not..........................

not sure but i have read the vette did not sell that great the first few years ..
It didn't. It was saved by Ford's introduction of the Thunderbird.

Suppose if the engine were a twin cam, four or even a five valve engine that is purpose built with a turbo(s) would that change your minds?
There is someone that has a Buick V6 turbo in a C4 that makes alot of sense and power! I can think of alot of advantages with this setup.
Remember V8s are nice but techno engines are the future!

^^^^^^
arn't the modern LS6 and LS7 quite high tech?

the age old "hp/liter" argument is so faux that even those various european, and japanese companies are making larger displacement to make up the difference.

a high tech v6 aka DOHC ... that is nice and all; but lets analyze the optionsn out there that are performance orented.

Alfa Romeo has a DOHC peaky V6 that makes you want to give it some stick.... but sadly, it just doesnt compete in the realm of a sports car

Ferrari Dino V6... light weight, and relatively small package, 30+ years ago; and nothing but the rumor of a future Dino v6 at the moment.

Duratek V6 3.5.... has plenty of power for the applications it is used for... but still, displacement reigns king.

NSX VTEC V6.... it is very liniar torque throughout the rev band, but at no speed does it feel like it is fast; but it does just keep going and going, and evenutally needs a gear change.

straight 6?
M3 3.2 variocam engine.... high strung, high-ish power, ok noise... but even BMW are going with a new v8 higher displacement engine instead of further developing the ultimate straight 6 performance engine.

Mercedes engines often hare touting 3 valve designs

Ferrari did the 5 valve head for the F 360, and F50... and for some reason, are back with 4 valve heads, and bigger displacement to get added power/torque. I think somebody else did a 5 valve head, but i can't remember who.

Porsche were low tech 2 valve heads up until 1997 even! many take the 996 DOHC engine with a crain of salt, as there was actually less power, and powertrain performance until the final generation 996 X50 package came about... even so, much of what they have put in the DOHC was learned from the 962, and 959 2 decades ago!

so basically, calling a dohc motor high tech because it has more valves, and more cams doesn't really make sence to me. otherwise, the Northstar engine would be better, right?

A light yet powerful V6 roadster would be great fun to drive. I think Chevy needs to make this car. The only thing I don't agree with is the name. If the car is done well and priced correctly it will quickly develop it's own following without borrowing from Corvette history.

It is not a Corvette

This car is not a Corvette but a car to give Cheyy some floor traffic that they are currently missing with the new kappa platform. I think the car will be renamed once GM developes enough talk to generate interest in this car. The Sting Ray will be moved to the new 650HP Corvette in 2 years. Want to bet?

kappa.jpg

In February 2006, Motor Trend published a short article about the Corvette Sting Ray coming back as a V6 powered version of the Kappa platform.

They wrote:

Full Article: http://www.motortrend.com/future/concept_cars/112_0602_chevrolet_kappa_sting_ray/index.html

The rumors are once again getting much stronger!

What are your thoughts on this? Should the Corvette remain V8 powered only, or would a V6 version be ok since the Corvette started out with a V6 back in 1953?

Makes me want to find a barf bag- long live the V8, dom't screw up this wonderful car or suggest that another badged vehicle belongs in the Corvette family--just my humble (and strong:) ) opinion Ron

V6

Actually, why not? Some people just can't deal with change; they resist it to the bitter end and are left behind and go out of business. How many times have you guys had a change implemented at work and thought 'crap this really sucks; I can't believe they are really going to do this.' only to find later that, 'Man, this really was a great idea; I can't believe I ever liked the old way.'
There will always be a Corvette in my dreams, and maybe even room for a Chevy- Stingray little brother; just don't call it a Corvette.:)

Actually GM needs to get rid of a lot of its excess baggage. IMHO they should get rid of Pontiac, Buick, and several overseas brands and concentrate on Cadillac, Chevrolet and Saturn.

Also I would like to see Corvette be its own brand like Lexis is separate from Toyota. Corvette with their own dealerships! Just imagine; you go into an all Corvette dealership with only Corvette salesmen and mechanics-no other distractions or compromises; just pure Corvette expertiese; Corvette, the American Ferrari! :upthumbs

Actually, why not? Some people just can't deal with change; they resist it to the bitter end and are left behind and go out of business.
"There's no replacement for displacement." Anything you can do to a 6-banger can be done to an 8. So stick with the additional cubes and apply the same upgrade ideas!
:upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom