Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Scan tool/code questions

toptechx6

Corvette
1993 Coupe, Bright Aqua
I recently purchased an Auto X-Ray 6000 scan tool to use on my 93 Vette and other daily drivers since it is supposed to read both OBDI and OBDII data. The tool seems to work fine on all the OBDII cars (Chrysler) but will not read live data from the Vette, Auto X-Ray sent a replacement GM 12 pin cable, it did not make a difference.
The service engine soon light will occasionally illuminate on the Vette then go out after one or two minutes, the scan tool does read a code for the knock sensor circuit presumably the cause of the intermittent light. There are no unusual noises from the engine at idle or on acceleration, my concern is that the PCM may be failing since the scan tool is unable to read the live data stream. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome, thanks.

I just bought an AutoXray 6000 as well. I just went out and checked it on the 90 L98 and it appears to work OK. I plugged it in, turned on the key, did the scan, started the engine, pushed monitor and it appeared to be reading real time info. I set a code by disconnecting the temp sensor. Reconnected the sensor and cleared the code. The AutoXray displayed ¨vehicle not responding¨ but when I checked the PCM there were no codes so the one I set was cleared. I will try the capture mode this afternoon.

Did your 6000 come with the CD and cable to connect it to the PC? Mine did not. I was out of town when it arrived and have not had time to contact AutoXray about the CD and cable yet.:w

EZ PC CD & cable

Yes my 6000 included the EZ PC software Cd and cable. It can be difficult to get through to Auto X-Ray tech support by phone but they seem willing to help when you do. Be sure to register your unit on-line for full warranty coverage, best of luck.

I couldn't get a scanner to read my 93 either. I certainly hope it isn't the PCM going bad!

I did find(thanks Greg) a write-up on how to simply see the codes from a 92 or 93 by using the ALDL and the speedometer. Worked quite well on mine. I can send the .pdf file to you if you'd like.

Thanks for both replies

Thanks for the offer Tom, I do know how to read the flash codes by shorting the pins in the 12 pin connector. I'm leaning more toward a PCM problem after a little more diagnosis. Both of my knock sensors check good with ohm readings between 3,920 and 4,480, supply voltage is at 4.80 KEEO. I have also discovered that even though the scan tool appears to clear the code it never does so I disconnected the battery for several minutes and was not even able to clear it that way.
Your experience with another 93 is interesting, anyone else out there able to get live sensor values or codes on a 93 using an aftermarket scan tool?

just some INFO
IVE got and have been using that same Auto X-Ray 6000 scan tool
http://www.autoxray.com/products.aspx

there are TWO connector cables,that can be used in the case, a BLUE G.M. OBDII and a YELLOW universal OBDII cable, while it would SEEM that the BLUE G.M cable is the correct choice for my 1996 corvette the YELLOW univeral connector cable was the one that works on the car!!!

Correct cable issue

Thanks for your input grumpyvette but that doesn't apply to my 93 which is OBDI, the only cable that can be used is the 12 pin black one. The more I investigate my problem the more I think it may be the PCM or the communication circuit between the PCM and 12 pin diagnostic connector. With engine running I followed Spanishvettes cue and disconnected the IAT sensor, there was no MIL illumination and when rechecked with the 6000 no new code was stored. I then disconnected the TPS while running, it did turn on the MIL but no new code was stored, strange!

Scan tool saga update

The tech support guy from Auto-Xray called me back yesterday and after listening to my issues seemed to agree my problem could be the engine controller. Before biting the bullet and buying one I decided to do a little more research. I finally got the tool to read live data by repeatedly powering down then reconfiguring for the Vette application. It didn't last unfortunately and the display soon froze again displaying just fixed sensor values. Powering down/reconfiguring would get a live reading again for a short time then it would freeze once again. I also discovered when the tool is in this 'locked or frozen" state it will not read new codes or erase existing ones! I have seen another 93 Vette parked at a local Autozone parts store close by so I drove down there and asked if I could speak with the owner of the car. A very nice guy of course! I explained my problem and he agreed to let me scan his Vette with my tool. The scan tool acted exactly the same on his car as it did on mine so I am now convinced the tool has a software glitch. I am again waiting for a call back from Auto X-ray tech support, I'll let you know what happens.

FWIW, I have that problem with mine too, including the freezing up, but the problem was my ALDL connector on the car. I have the exact same scanner. I usually have to hold/press the wires in on the back of the ALDL connector on the car while I slip the AutoXray connector over it. Otherwise the pins have a tendancy to push out the back enough to make a poor connection. It's pretty annoying.

Also, if your car has the OBD-II style connector (thought that was just 94-95 though), you'd want to use the blue connector, not the yellow one.

grumpyvette said:
there are TWO connector cables,that can be used in the case, a BLUE G.M. OBDII and a YELLOW universal OBDII cable, while it would SEEM that the BLUE G.M cable is the correct choice for my 1996 corvette the YELLOW univeral connector cable was the one that works on the car!!!
The blue is specifically for GM cars that are OBD-I with an OBD-II style connector (1994 and 1995 models mostly). Any 1996+ car should use the yellow one, unless you have a Chrysler in which case there's an optional purple one that some newer Chrysler cars use.

The fact that the blue one is called the "GM OBD-II" is a fake-out and misleading.

Thanks for the tip

I've played with the connector quite a bit without any success but will give it another try especially since we are using the same ALDL connector. I talked with Auto-X-ray tech support yesterday about the problem and they indicated they would have their engineering department investigate the issue but that it could take several weeks to get a response. I'll play with the connector in the mean time to see if I can verify that as the source of the difficulty. I'll let you know if I hear anything from the tool manufacturer.

I actually ended up unscrewing my ALDL connector so it hangs down. It makes it much easier to grab and push the wires behind it to get a good connection. Hopefully that'll fix your problem too. :)

That post made me smile :)

I was out trying your connector suggestion while you posted that last one, and ended up doing the same thing with the connector that you did! Definitely easier to manipulate to get a good connection when it isn't screwed down but still seems shaky at best. Can't help feel the tool design is somewhat lacking, perhaps the cable pins are too small to make positive contact since several cars have the same problem Wonder if the female ALDL connector on the car is available?

Well did it get the tool working?

I noticed that those grey clips on the back of the car's connector seem to do a crappy job holding the pins in. I too wonder if a new one is available. I haven't been able to find a part number if one is. If you do, let me know.

Edit: Oh, FWIW, while it may be the cable, for me it definitely wasn't the scan tool. I also use a laptop with TTS Datamaster and the same cable, and I have the same problem. I have to be careful when hooking the cable to the car. But once you get it on well it doesn't seem to come loose or anything.

Not yet convinced

I think the cable may be part of the problem but I'm not convinced it is the the entire reason the tool stops responding while reading data. While reading the data stream yesterday I set a code by disconnecting the TPS, after reconnecting it the tool would still not clear the code even though it had not gone into the "frozen or locked" mode. I plan to do more testing now that I can better examine the connector since mine is now loose like yours, I'll be sure to post my results if conclusive. If I find a new ALDL connector I'll let you know, please do the same for me if you run across one, thanks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom