Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shark mouth panel?

GT6Steve@aol.com

Corvette
1981 Oyster coupe
Soon to be using the 81 for a lot of hiway driving to/from a new job. With that in mind, what's the deal with the bottom panel below the rad opening? The lower jaw of a shark mouth, if you will. Does it help? Hinder? How fragile and exposed is it when installed. My 81 has never had it so I have no comparison. Should I replace it?;shrug

:w

I've always been told the opening in the Lower Front of the radiator is VERY important for getting air flow over the radiator for cooling.

I know from experience that the engine runs hotter without the air flow being directed up toward the radiator. I repaired one on a buddies 1980 (BlackDog) and it made a huge difference..

Somewhere in the Registry Forum or here in the C3 forums is a thread about the bumper guard and the airdam relationship ;)

Bud

:w Steve,

Here is a breakdown of the entire front air/spoiler system. My reference above is about part # ET3L / ET31J ;)

80-82_front_air_dam.jpg

Bud

Thanx

Thanx Yoda, that is exactly the panel I was thinking of. My 81 has the biggest rad I've ever seen and does really fine here in the Vegas Mojave Desert heat. I love the thing. To date it's all been stop and go city driving where it's coped beautifully. With the new conditions we'll be facing soon I wondered about the scoop.

If I buy it, will I tear it off the first time I pull into a parking space?

(Not if you're careful, Stupid,,,:bash

If I buy it, will I tear it off the first time I pull into a parking space?

(Not if you're careful, Stupid,,,:bash
After making this mistake, I am very cautious about where I park. Bud is correct, it is important in creating airflow accross the radiator.

All C3s pull more air from the lower panel than they do through the grills. You need the panel and to keep the area clean.

:)

:w

I've always been told the opening in the Lower Front of the radiator is VERY important for getting air flow over the radiator for cooling.

Dat's da troot! Probably more air goes up through the bottom than through the grills. Even the tiny chin spoilers on '73-'74 cars make a huge difference.

Studing the diagram it appears I'm missing the spoiler as well as the valence:eyerole I'm gonna have to do some studying methinks...

It appears I'm missing a flange on the outer edge of BU57/78, presumably where the spoiler would attach. Any way to fix this material short of replacement?

Are there any good pics anywhere of how this looks assembled?

Thanx all...

Not the best pic for what you want, but here's an 81 with Yoda's AIM page parts installed.

81004.jpg

Black rubber spoiler is visible (it's two piece, a left and a right half). You can see the joint where the lower valance panel meets each side of the bumper cover.

:)

I'm not sure how this'll look on the thread.... but this is how mine looks and I have no heating problems at all in Florida :cool

Rad panel and Hiway miles

Had to take a trip out to the new job this AM and the temp came up to mid scale and a bit above on the trip. This in the early morning hours so it would definately be up there in the 110F afternoons. I'll get the valence on order tomorrow.

It looks like the side panels (vertical) that support the sides of the valence are intact so that part should be easy. The spoiler will be more difficult as one side mountings are missing. One step at a time.

New carpet and insulation in today, for example.

Thanx everybody for the assistance:beer

Afterthought...What joins the panels? Bolts or poprivets?

Memory is related to age.... I forgot about having a photo already stored here at the Action Center :duh

attachment.php

I have an older photo, somewhere.... maybe on an old disc ... If you need it I'll look and see if it show any more of the front air dam..

Also there is a steel tang that comes down off the front tube mounts right in back of and below the front lic plate. The front middle valance rest on the tang, and there is a space overlap of the rubber bottom assy. that folds around the tang ;)

If you have a chance take a look at a 1980 ~ 1982, esp at a car show ;) I'm sure you'll see what I'm trying to explain ;)

Bud

Have the valence, not the flanges

Just a followup for amusement,
I got the rubber spoilers and the lower GRP valence but when I offered them up I found all of the side supports of the bumper were ripped away in the past. I knew there was a lot of stuff missing but had no idea what supported what.

I did find some very good pics of the rubber spoiler and I want that!

So, short term plan is to build a lower valence of thin plywood or aluminum and get an Ecklers Urethane nose in conjunction/preparatory to the future new paint . When ready, the new valence and spoiler will be available to finish the job.

Then, within twenty four hours I'll proudly pull it into the pub and break all the new stuff:upthumbs

Just thought I'd toss this out there for you (all) to chew on.
I've never had that bottom rubber lip on my car and I've never had a problem with my car cooling, in any of it's configurations.
In fact, I just had my front bumper replaced (got my car back last Saturday) and I didn't bother paying to have it put on. Besides never having a cooling problem, I already encounter enough areas where I just barely keep my bottom from hitting. No need to close that gap by another 1-2"

Additionally, he said that he too hasn't had any cooling problems and that this is primarily out of concern for highway driving. If anything, he's going to have more air flow now that he did before, thus he should still have no air flow / cooling issues.

My 2¢...

The lower spoiler pieces are rubber and they do take a beating. I have replaced these at least once, maybe twice, when they got torn. I have developed a fear of parking curbs and am very careful about how close I get to them. Steep driveways can be a problem too and are best entered at an angle.

Andre, have you posted any pics of your car since you got it back?

Tom

Andre, have you posted any pics of your car since you got it back?
No, only because it looks just like it did before, minus the scuffed up bumper and what not. Just look in my sig above. That's what it looks like now/again. Yeah, sorry it's not more exciting! :L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom