Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

shift shaft seal replacement

Phill

Corvette
1979 Blk L48
have replaced it twice and it keeps leaking. a friend said the shaft might be worn. any ideas or tricks anyone can suggest or does the shaft need replacing. the car is a 79 w/th350.

:w

If you can get the shaft out (sorry not familiar w/ autos), check for scratches or nicks. Might be able smooth out w/ crocus cloth.

Thanks shark i'll take a look at it this week when i replace the shift cable.

have replaced it twice and it keeps leaking. a friend said the shaft might be worn. any ideas or tricks anyone can suggest or does the shaft need replacing. the car is a 79 w/th350.

Are you talking about the rear output shaft seal on the trans? If so, I'm in the same boat as you. Been replaced two or three times now and starts to leak again after a few months. I even had the yoke looked at. Maybe it's time for a new one but I understand they are extremely hard to find as they are no longer made.

Nope, its the seal where the shifter cable goes hooked up to the transmission. your talking about the tailshaft seal.

Kind of a Bubba fix, but try putting an o-ring on the shaft before you install the new seal. You could also install 2 seals.

Wrap a piece of heavy paper around the end of the shaft- the flats have sharp edges and will nick the seal as it goes over them.

When i first replaced the seal the PO used silicone in place of the seal. that and a few other things lead me to believe his name was bubba or was related to bubba.

If there's any silicone stuck to the shaft that could be your leak. Make a rough spot.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom