Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

shifter knob removal

E

Ed Wieder

In my attempt to remove LTPWS bulb am unable to remove shifter knob. Shifter knob must be taken off to remove console top plate and it to remove radio surround and it to remove DIC panel to get to bulbs. Have taken off plastic gear pattern insert on knob. Then removed set screw. Manual shows what it calls a 'cotter' pin located in knob to be removed before slipping off knob. Unable to remove 'cooter' pin. Need ideas/help. Thanks, Ed

Once you pull the shifter pattern off the top of the shifter, you'll see a wedge in the center of the shifter rod. You need to pull the wedge out towards you. I've used a flat blade screwdriver along with a needle nose plier to do this.

If that doesn't work try locking on to it with a small pair of vice grips and pulling it out. Plan B: When I installed the Hurst short throw shifter, while pulling the wedge out with the vice grips, it broke off. Plan C: Drilled a small hole in the center of the wedge, scewed in a sheet metal scew and pulled it out. Changed shifter knob out to the old style round ball, don't need the crappy little wedge no more. Good luck, 84 CF 91 ZR1

You can do this without removing the shifter knob.. Reach under unplug the lighter & rear hatch switch and turn the plate sideways..Than you can get to the to screws at the bottom of the trim cover there is one more at the top you have to remove the AC duct to get at it..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom