Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Shinoda start

Mufflers and tips ready

Jerri (Watoosi Design, Costa Mesa) will have the mufflers ready for coating today, after altering the length and spacing of the Flowmaster's tips. The steel extensions I made were also altered for proper spacing and shape to slip on the mufflers. I'll get some pics today before they all go to the plater/hot-coater shops.

They will be unique, loyal to Larry and subtly wowing. :w

Jerry (Excess Engineering, Costa Mesa) will have the mufflers ready for coating today.....today before they all go to the plater/hot-coater shops. :w
Well, almost. Jerry wanted a fitment to adjust the length. Here are the redone mufflers, with tips closer together to fit the new extensions, we made.
FlowmastersRedoneWEB.jpg

Fitted, they are about an inch too long.
TrialFitNewFlowsExhTipsWEB.jpg
That's okay, as the new shaping, reflecting the lines of the Shinoda rear, will take care of this.

another fork

All exhaust pipes (3") aft of the headers plus the mufflers are at the hot coater (Embee Performance :thumb) as they have done good work for me before, at a fair price. They will be black.

The fork in this road is that the custom tips were separated, as the plater's recommendation. He said that he knows I want a quality of finish that he could not promise with the too-narrow gap. A sawz-all did the job, followed by careful grinding.

Ask questions if you are seeking black chrome, as I did. Some shops claim they do it, but the term has been applied to wide ranging processes; at three temperatures. None will, which are essentially powder coat in nature, hold up under the heat of an application such as these tips, except a true chroming (electrical deposition under high heat, dipped in tanks).

I will add a picture of the new shape of them, which echoes the curving of this tail.They will look awesome, in a month or so!
:w

or so

Nothing like hitting the plating shop in the car show pre-season!

Told the tips would get poor plating on the insides, I separated them into four. The black chrome came out great!

PlatedExhTipsWEB.jpg

Whalepirot, the car already looks great. That rear looks awesome. I too can't wait to see the car finished.

So sorry about your experience with Prestige Auto....I will make sure to stay the hell away from those dudes. I've had good luck with Caliber Collission....all my cars that have gotten hit (just about all of them thanks to people hitting my car while parked or when they are trying to park next to mine) I have taken to Caliber Collission and all their work is top notch. They are ACSC rated and all of ACSC (AAA) send their repairs to them. I just had them refinish the bumper on my Mustang (my expense) and they did a superb job. I plan on using them again soon when I return to have the do the rear bumper on my Mustang because, you guessed it, someone hit it while it was parked at my wife's office....damn bastards!

The body shop in Mission Viejo that did the work on my C4 is no longer in business. Too bad because they did a great job!

thanks

for the nice comments.

Either of our Vettes seem hard to miss. Heck, not all that many C4s on the road these days. I like the color of yours, too.
:w

Yeah. I live in the Pacific Hills area and there are two mid to late '80's C4's here, one is a black convertible with bright chrome ZR1 wheels, bald guy driving it, and another all silver coupe that both look very clean. Daily driven too from what noticed.

I've seen a few more driving around on weekends that are really well kept. But the others I've seen on weekdays are driven by teens and pretty well beat up. :L

Seeing some beat up C5's too. Sign of the times I guess.....it's been 7 years since I got mine. I remember when C5's were all so shiny and new. Now it's the C6's turn.

I can't believe those Prestige Auto people ruined your motor. I've witnessed a repair shop at the Via Fabricante area take customer cars on test drives. One time I saw one who was test driving a really nice C4 and he was beating on it! I used to work at a Ford dealership too.....I'll tell ya! Some of these people have absolutely no respect for other people's property. It scares me whenever I take my car to ANY shop.

also dumped USAA who is in collusion with this crappy shop

I cannot do business or send money to a company who has no respect for their customers. Words mean nothing when the actions speak otherwise.

The former body shop liason for USAA, my insurance company for 40 years, now runs that Prestige. He and Luis Ramirez, from USAA, chose not to honor the lifetime warranty on this crappy repair, specifically paint that was discolored in a few spots and was peeling off the rear of the car. Ramirez remarked how nice the car is kept, then rated it average!

Ramirez also blew smoke up my a$$ saying how USAA valued my business for over 40 years, then proceeded to lie on his paperwork.

Anyone who knows anything about me knows I keep my things nice; well above average, unless they are being redone.

USAA has a history of questionable dealings and not keeping their word with me and my family. This is surprising, given the large number of retired Generals, who one would think would understand honor. then, perhaps the teaching at the military academies has changed since I graduated.

Maybe I'll thank them, as GEICO is cheaper anyway and does not retain thousands of my dollars in 'my' account. So, I canceled six policies with USAA. Good riddance to the unethical.

Oh, this is a HAPPY Shinoda/Mears thread! :w

Scroll back LOL

Been diverted into other things*, but the Vette is at Jerry's shop and fairly disassembled (hence the scroll), in preparation for the paint. It will be white, probably including the door handles (subject to change) with the 'targa ' portion black, rather like the windows. The gaps, particularly around the driver's door, were fairly uneven and that will be fixed, plus a foam will be inserted under the door in the polyurethane Shinoda door panels, to even out any ripples.

Hot air exhaust ducts for the engine compartment are in fabrication for molds, etc., ala the "Sledgehammer'(?). These will be more subtle; smaller lip. These are cut into the rear horizontal hood flats, above the brake booster on the left; symmetrically, right. While the ceramic coated headers and the BigMouth scoop help, I doubt too much hot air can be removed from under these Vette hoods.

As one would expect with a 20-something car, a a wide variety of ancillary things will be repaired, including the off-kilter Flowmasters; to be cut/welded to get proper alignment of the cool black-chrome square tips.

I am evaluating doing the headlights like those our Dutch friend had on his C4: non-flip, clear-covered, recessed, fixed headlights. :w

*1955 Nash Rambler
*1955 Ford F100 (C4 below the waist)

Been diverted into other things*, but the Vette is at Jerry's shop and fairly disassembled (hence the scroll), in preparation for the paint. It will be white, probably including the door handles (subject to change) with the 'targa ' portion black, rather like the windows. The gaps, particularly around the driver's door, were fairly uneven and that will be fixed, plus a foam will be inserted under the door in the polyurethane Shinoda door panels, to even out any ripples.

Hot air exhaust ducts for the engine compartment are in fabrication for molds, etc., ala the "Sledgehammer'(?). These will be more subtle; smaller lip. These are cut into the rear horizontal hood flats, above the brake booster on the left; symmetrically, right. While the ceramic coated headers and the BigMouth scoop help, I doubt too much hot air can be removed from under these Vette hoods.

As one would expect with a 20-something car, a a wide variety of ancillary things will be repaired, including the off-kilter Flowmasters; to be cut/welded to get proper alignment of the cool black-chrome square tips.

I am evaluating doing the headlights like those our Dutch friend had on his C4: non-flip, clear-covered, recessed, fixed headlights. :w

*1955 Nash Rambler
*1955 Ford F100 (C4 below the waist)

I'm anxious to see the end result of your project...The car looks amazing in developement, the final should be extraordinary !

If you;re interested in another heat disposal option for the hood, there have been some folks that have had success with 3 or 4" electric fans mounted in hood panels with some nice trim on the outside. I have seen this on the flat horizontal panel directly over the removable battery access panel, and opposite side, and also in the top raised cowl area on a custom hood that contained a rather complex super-charger/inter-cooler system. The one on the side I know worked, and exhausted heat that was enough to be very uncomfortable if you placed your hand in front of the air stream..

One of the keys to the success of heat removal is airflow, so to get hot air out, fresh cool air has to get in somehow. We already have hot radiator air coming inside the hood compartment, but I have always wondered if a small duct around the steering rack area would help pull some cool air up inside where it could collect heat and carry it out thru the vents/fans or whatever system was inplace to dispose of the unwanted hot air? Call it a 2nd air-dam for engine bay cooling....Just a rubber flap that hung down a couple inches to catch a little fresh air. That area is the only open area under the hood and must be open for a reason.

Anyway, the car looks great and I look forward to seeing the pictures when its done. That rear end gets a big "atta-boy" !:thumb

Thanks Boom. The underhood temps are not all that bad, largely due to the ceramic coating. Never, even go without!

I toyed with a fan solution and even modded one gill to double the exit hole while not altering the look. My battery being inside gives more room, but any air would come from the huge hole behind the frame curve, aft of each front wheel. i know that the only time these will draw much air is when moving but if I need more, I'll do more later.

Schrade- I'd just reviewed those very pics and like the color on the car. I think you'll find most Corvetters here, more friendly and helpful than the other place.

Today involved parts chasing and removal of the rear axles (new U-joints) and the heim-jointed 4-links for heim renewal. these Guldstrand sourced heims served well for well over a decade and probably 60k miles. The good stuff is STILL pricey, but I deem the strength, the Teflon seal and the chrome-moly steel essential, even at 2x the cost. Snagged a good pair of hood hinges and rear wheel wel liners. The 315s were not kind to them. :rotfl

Measured a pal's C6 headlights for possible fitment of that light structure on mine. I am not crazy about using Integra projector lights on America's only true sports car. :w

I give you credit for drilling into your Vette's body. I probably couldn't take the screaming. :eek
The first one is the hardest, like so many things. :L

My 'buddies' chuckled as they spoke (tauntingly, if joking) of cutting the hood after this drilling.

VentlayoutClose.jpg

This is the placement for the scoops. the Slegdehammer's are the inspiration, not to be copied exactly. There are some aesthetic improvements in the works.

progress

JerriShootsFirstHoodPimer.jpgHoodFirstPrimerDuster.jpgThe hood has it's first coat of new primer after I sanded (150) all the old, never-cured paint. Each gray primer coat is dusted with black Krylon to highlight the low areas during blocking.

That coat was blocked (block sanded) the first time with 150 grit;
HoodHalfBlockedFirst.jpg half finished here.

Three of us mounted the hood, properly this time, to get all the gaps, latches and guides aligned. It demands art-like skill and a fair amount of time to get it perfect.

New hardware will replace old and the hood removed for more blocking with 320, 400 then 500 wet before the color coat. The same procedure will apply to each Shinoda kit poly piece. Jerri applied the term 'anal' to his refined eye; his demand for perfection His results with many other cars shows it. We al know that the prep work is what makes a paint job outstanding.

I am flattered to have his tutelage and expertise on my old 'beater'.... err, beast.

Keep the pictures coming! :)

-Mac

Today, got the rest of the renewed rods back in. Real glad the play is gone from the rear suspension.

I am a bit puzzled over the exact purpose and necessity of the washer that backs up the seal for the axle bearing. No one seems to have them. Most parts diagrams don't even list them, nor does the FSM.

Once again, the American made bearing assemblies are tight but the Chinese was loose as the old one with 110k miles. Ordering them is a crap shoot, as price does not necessarily dictate country of origin.

Been planning fixed C6 headlights under acrylic covers, but need a source for them. I am not crazy about the look of those from Ecklers. I have the left C6 assembly but have posted a WTB for the right one in the C6 parts area. Damaged, is okay, but complete is needed.

Tomorrow comes a proper refitting of the Shinoda rear before removing it for prep and paint and/or some mold making of the hood scoops.

Rear panel is on for refitting. Probably shrinkage (OH NO!) at the upper corners will be filled with a special polyurethane filler that also stays flexible. The gap shown below is >1/8".

RRcornerGap.jpg

Also started the first clay mold for a hood scoop. :w

Ahh. Mac is reading the thread, anyway.

Anyone else, or should I use my time for other pursuits?

Here is a shot of the initial install of the first (left side) hood vent. Similar to the SledgeHammer's, but less in-yer-face, it looks quite rough here, but already is much refined, post-photo. The hood's strength will remain, thanks to proper 'glassing technique, inside and out.
LhoodVentInitialInsert.jpg

This one will be finished tomorrow and joined by a 'mirror' vent on the right side. I admit having some concerns about complicating the clean lines of the C4 and the Shinoda further smoothing, by adding these vents AND the fixed C6-style headlights. I do h., however, trust Jerri's artistic vision and talent.

We intend to make molds of the final vents, in case others want them. Expect fiberglass work, as we insist on a factory look/finish, or better.

Let me know of possible interest. :w

Plenty of views with no reviews? ;shrug

This white Vette is gonna ROCK! ;worship

U should C the awesome hood vents and the new fitment. I am equally eager to see the cool new C6 fixed headlights, modified for the C4 (in carbon, I think).:thumb

Just went back thru and read this entire thread from the beginning. DAMN, that's a LOT of work, but the pictures so far seem to indicate that it will be a GREAT looking Vette and one that you will be proud of. I really like how you dished out the ends of the exhaust tips to conform to the rear "bumper". If you're not specifically looking for it you won't notice it, but it does add to the professional/quality look of the project. I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of the finished hood as well. Keep the updates and pictures coming, cause there are plenty more like me out there who follow this build but don't comment on it too much.
Andy Anderson :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom