Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Important! Shocks & Handling

RV Guy

Corvette
1986 Silver/Gray Coupe
My '86 has the Z51 suspension and when I bought it a few years ago it had some no name tire store shocks on it. The build code lists it originally with Bilstein shocks. Wanting to get it back to stock and figuring that the Bilsteins might make it handle a little better I put a new set on a few weeks ago that are for the Z51. I don't feel much difference in ride but it has definely stiffened things up. I would say that steering response is crisper. With the old shocks when I would accelerate from a stop while turning a corner the outside rear would definetly squat down. With the new shocks the squat is gone. But, now instead of squating it breaks loose. For running around town and for normal highway speeds I am thinking the no name tire store shocks are a better choice.

Anyone else with any similar experience?

Thanks for commenting.

RV Guy, Similar situation on my 1988 with Z52 package. My front Blisteins were starting to leak, and had planned on getting all four rebuilt/replaced. After reading the article on shocks in 101 Projects for Your Corvette 1984-1996, decided to install a lower cost alternative (Monroe). Rear, not front shocks are the ones that really impact ride quality. The Monroe's offered more give, and would squat just a little more, actually improving dead start traction. My 1989 has the FE1 Soft Ride Suspension with is the non Blisten setup, and is a good match to the roads of Western New York. A few years back, when I contacted Blisten, they informed me that their shocks could be rebuilt to different specifcations (i.e. softer ride). Not sure if they still offer this service.

I just replaced my 7 year old Dunlop tires and the original Bilstein shocks on my 88. It has the Z52 package. It was either that or hire a dentist full-time to keep putting my fillings back in my teeth!:D

I went with the Kumho Esta ASX tires and KYB shocks. Both were recommended by fellow club members. It now drives like a new car. I would definitely recommend the KYB shocks. When I use to go around a corner that had a little imperfection the rear of the car would jump out. I figured the shocks were way to stiff. With the KYBs I've not had the problem.

Just my .02 cents.

Ron
"Baldie88"

I just bought my first Corvette, an 88 coupe. I have been thinking about buying new shocks. I am pretty sure all 4 are shot. I notice that I can buy shocks with Z51 or without. I assume my car has to be setup to use the w/z51 type. Is there an easy check to find out which kind I need? Does brand actually make a difference? All I really want are shocks that don't make potholes feel like they are going to crack my car in half and which last.

Turn your steering wheel all the way to one direction then turn it back all the way to the other side. If it is 2 1/4 turns from one side to the other you have Z51 if it is more you do not. You can also check the stroage compartment behind the passenger seat. There should be a list of options codes there. Buy your shoocks accordingly and yes the brands make a difference.

Thank you. I will check both of those when I get home from work.

I have heard bad things about Monroe shocks, and being they are 50%-33% the price would seem to suggest the same. I have heard good things about KYB and Bilstien, and I think my car currently has Bilstien shocks on it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

RPO codes

Open the glove box located on the console. There is a sticker with the RPO codes. Look through the codes which are in alphabetical order. Will be RPO Z51 or Z52.
As far as shocks the kyb shocks are a good choice for most driving conditions. For the Z52 and Z51 suspension KYB Gas adjust front-KG5569, Rear-KG5571. 1988 was a unique year as the have there own shock part numbers. They are 39.99 each plus shipping through Jegs.

Donald

I replaced the shocks on my 88, went with the KYB Gas adjust. The original Bilstiens were wet, I figured it was time to change them(58,500mi.). No complaints, I agree with Baldie88, too stiff a shock is as bad as none at all.....

Thanks. I will look into buying those. Does "gas adjust" mean that I can set the stiffness? If so, that sounds like a nice feature, but I am not sure I trust myself that much. I have only minor mechanic skills.

And 39.99? That is the around the same price as the Monroe shocks. I know price shouldn't be a meter for quality, but I also know if something is too good to be true...

P.S.
Z52

Thanks. I will look into buying those. Does "gas adjust" mean that I can set the stiffness? If so, that sounds like a nice feature, but I am not sure I trust myself that much. I have only minor mechanic skills.

And 39.99? That is the around the same price as the Monroe shocks. I know price shouldn't be a meter for quality, but I also know if something is too good to be true...

P.S.
Z52

No, they are not adjustable in that sense. Here take a look at their site: KYB America LLC Shocks & Struts | Welcome

With the old shocks when I would accelerate from a stop while turning a corner the outside rear would definetly squat down.
Thanks for commenting.

If it squats on acceleration it also leans on turns.

If it squats on acceleration it also leans on turns.

And that's not neccesarily a bad thing to a point. I have found that at the speeds I drive on the street a little compliance in the suspension actully improves handling. If it's too stiff it kicks out on the slightest bump.

so.. softest ride?

i was just getting ready to click the "add to cart" button on four billsteins for my standard suspension `84. i'm really bad at buying the most expensive parts thinking it will give me what i want... i could care less about performance, i need the softest ride i can get. anyone else have any thoughts about the best riding shocks available for me? i've already changed my mind to the kybs but if someone could again confirm that... much appreciated.
ps. my car rides like a tank... i mean.. its so bad, between the bad shocks and the flexxing i snapped a rear bolt of my targa going over some tracks.

sorry to cause confusion. I like the stiff ride. I have two bumps on the local expressway on a turn that it jumps, but so does my monti carlo with a soft suspension. My neighbor likes the softer better. Just a matter of preference

To fumesniff, I'll confirm that with the Z52 suspension on my 88, the ride is definitely better with the KYBs than the original Bilsteins. Car had about 48K when I changed them out.

BTW I see you are located in Lincoln and are a recent addition. Welcome to CAC. I spent some time travelling old Route 66 from Kankakee to Lincoln to visit my aunt. But that was probably way before your time.

Regards,

Ron
"Baldie88"

I've been thinking about shocks on my 89 convertible (no Z51) and still not sure about which way to go. I have the original stock Bilsteins on the car now and they are in good shape but since I lowered the car they seem too soft and sometimes the suspension bottoms out. I'm thinking I should go with the stiffer Z51 Bilsteins and maybe I won't bottom out as much. Anyone use the Z51 Bilsteins on a convertible or non Z51 car?

(I see Zip Products now has Z51 Bilstein's for coupes and apparently a different version labeled Z51 Bilsteins for convertibles? 10% off sale until February 1st too.)

63-96 Bilstein Shock Packages Corvette Parts and Accessories - Zip Corvette

I've been thinking about shocks on my 89 convertible (no Z51) and still not sure about which way to go. I have the original stock Bilsteins on the car now and they are in good shape but since I lowered the car they seem too soft and sometimes the suspension bottoms out. I'm thinking I should go with the stiffer Z51 Bilsteins and maybe I won't bottom out as much. Anyone use the Z51 Bilsteins on a convertible or non Z51 car?

(I see Zip Products now has Z51 Bilstein's for coupes and apparently a different version labeled Z51 Bilsteins for convertibles? 10% off sale until February 1st too.)

63-96 Bilstein Shock Packages Corvette Parts and Accessories - Zip Corvette

If you have the orig shocks still on they need replaced.
I took one loose on my 89 and it seemed ok just a little weak. I didn't like the way they handled and when replacing them I found the one I checked was the only one with any resistance. No apparent oil leakage but they were bad. I couldn't believe it was the same car. The ride improved as I drove the vette.

Make sure yours has the z51 peformance package so you order the correct parts.

If you have the orig shocks still on they need replaced.
I took one loose on my 89 and it seemed ok just a little weak. I didn't like the way they handled and when replacing them I found the one I checked was the only one with any resistance. No apparent oil leakage but they were bad. I couldn't believe it was the same car. The ride improved as I drove the vette.

Make sure yours has the z51 peformance package so you order the correct parts.

It is my understanding that the Z51 was not an option in convertibles however Zip products is selling Z51 shocks for convertibles? Not sure how that can be but why wouldn't the Z51 shocks fit on a convertible?

It is my understanding that the Z51 was not an option in convertibles however Zip products is selling Z51 shocks for convertibles? Not sure how that can be but why wouldn't the Z51 shocks fit on a convertible?

I am not sure if it was standard on convs. If you have a ride control switch on the console then you have the z51 option. Maybe someone can chime in and correct me if I am wrong. I believe the peform pac has adj ride control. PM gm Junkie

The best way to tell if it has Z51 is to look at the list of build codes. Mine is an '86 coupe and the list is in the storage compartment behind the passenger seat. I understand that it is also on the lid to the console storage compartment in some. That's the sure way. The sterring wheel turned lock to lock is 2.25 turns on a Z51 and more on one without it. I don't think there is an issue with the Z51 shocks fitting. However, they will be much stiffer than the shocks on a standard suspension and all of that has to work together for good handling.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom