Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

short finder

playsdixie

Corvette
85 coupe
still can't find the battery drain in the cts/clk circuit...fsm says to use a short finder j8681 and it will send magnetic pulses to the short that can be read through sheet metal...my offending circuit is mainly in the interior of the car...anybody ever use one???? think it would help?.....spent hours looking now...:ugh

still can't find the battery drain in the cts/clk circuit...fsm says to use a short finder j8681 and it will send magnetic pulses to the short that can be read through sheet metal...my offending circuit is mainly in the interior of the car...anybody ever use one???? think it would help?.....spent hours looking now...:ugh

You need a dead short to use a magnetic pulse short finder, with the appropriate sized circuit breaker. Unless you are blowing a fuse constantly this tool will not help you in finding a battery drain, which means that the circuit fuse is good or there would be no drain on the battery.

It sounds like you are chasing a battery drain only, which is not a short, but and active circuit with the key off. You will need a ammeter in series with the negative battery cable to chase a battery drain by removing fuses individually until the drain disappears, and then figuring out what in the fused circuit is causing the drain. Good luck with it. :)

thanks for the information.....battery drain stops when i pull the cts/clock fuse...
preliminary check per fsm...all six courtesy lites work..mirror doesn't..timer works.shuts all off...\
chimes works, security off/ radio/clock shuts off appropriately
spare tire light disconnected/ antenna disconnected.
can't be cig lighter too many amps
disconned two of four amp for bose..no reduction in amp drain per bose, shoud have been
door locks work
disconnected mirror no effect\\
fsm says cant be any circuit connected to others if it works....j

thinking I need Priest....:ugh

thanks for the information.....battery drain stops when i pull the cts/clock fuse...
preliminary check per fsm...all six courtesy lites work..mirror doesn't..timer works.shuts all off...\
chimes works, security off/ radio/clock shuts off appropriately
spare tire light disconnected/ antenna disconnected.
can't be cig lighter too many amps
disconned two of four amp for bose..no reduction in amp drain per bose, shoud have been
door locks work
disconnected mirror no effect\\
fsm says cant be any circuit connected to others if it works....j

thinking I need Priest....:ugh

How many amp drain do you have on the battery? Anything under 50ma is normal. Disconnect anything after market that is electrical. Hopefully you have completely checked the charging system, and performed a complete load test of the battery (after fully charging the battery) with a quality carbon pile load tester....

Is there an aftermarket remote keyless entry or alarm installed in the vehicle?

How many amp drain do you have on the battery? Anything under 50ma is normal. Disconnect anything after market that is electrical. Hopefully you have completely checked the charging system, and performed a complete load test of the battery (after fully charging the battery) with a quality carbon pile load tester....

had the battery checked....3.54 amp draw....stops when you pull the cts/clk fuse......no aftermarket stuff on the car.....all circuits on this fuse work correctly except rearview mirror...disconnected wiring..no help, and spare tire light...removed the bulb.....everything else turns on and off correctly.....:ugh

had the battery checked....3.54 amp draw....stops when you pull the cts/clk fuse......no aftermarket stuff on the car.....all circuits on this fuse work correctly except rearview mirror...disconnected wiring..no help, and spare tire light...removed the bulb.....everything else turns on and off correctly.....:ugh

3.5 amp draw is a lot, you should hear a clicking noise when tapping the negative cable back and forth on the post, or in the dark you may see a light that is on. Good luck with it. :)

3.5 amp draw is a lot, you should hear a clicking noise when tapping the negative cable back and forth on the post, or in the dark you may see a light that is on. Good luck with it. :)

good little spark when you disconnect. no lights on at night.....disconnected the rear mirror lights and found the wires to the mirror spiced, not with a gm connector...going to follow those wires....spare lite bulb removed by me.
haven't actually pulled the bose relay...bose told me if I disconnected two of the amps it would reduce the voltage drop, it didn't. measured .o5 v at 1 speaker...with the cable off. got to be somewhere:ugh

going around the circuit the 2nd time, found power to both wires to the spare tire light....per fsm, i think one should , not both with lights off....had disconnected bulb before....wasn't aware tested 12v in both sockets..cut plug out...both ends of wires to spare tire light test 12 v.......where do I go now??? I thought the other wire would be ground.....:ugh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom