Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Should the gas tank be painted?

The73vetteman

Corvette
'73 L48 4spd
I've pulled my old rusted and leaking gas tank and plan on purchasing a new one - will probably go with the kit from Corvette Central - but here's my question: all the tanks I've looked at online appear to be bare metal. Was the tank ever painted? Seems like it should be to avoid corrosion but I'd like to stay close to stock condition.

I've pulled my old rusted and leaking gas tank and plan on purchasing a new one - will probably go with the kit from Corvette Central - but here's my question: all the tanks I've looked at online appear to be bare metal. Was the tank ever painted? Seems like it should be to avoid corrosion but I'd like to stay close to stock condition.

Painting it will inhibit rust.

The tanks were never painted. They had a zinc coating to inhibit rust, making them look like bare metal. The stock zinc coating is a very good rust inhibitor, and you only run into issues in extremely corrosive environments after the zinc is broken down. If you replace the tank with a new coated tank, the tank will never rust again in your lifetime, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Lars

The tanks were never painted. They had a zinc coating to inhibit rust, making them look like bare metal. The stock zinc coating is a very good rust inhibitor, and you only run into issues in extremely corrosive environments after the zinc is broken down. If you replace the tank with a new coated tank, the tank will never rust again in your lifetime, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Lars

I agree, however when the choice was between a new $200 tank ($300 for exact replacement) or $8.00 worth of spray paint, I decided on the latter since you can't see it anyway.

I agree, however when the choice was between a new $200 tank ($300 for exact replacement) or $8.00 worth of spray paint, I decided on the latter since you can't see it anyway.

That's great, but $8.00 worth of spray paint won't stop that rust from creating pinhole leaks in that old tank. A new terne-plated tank will far out-last you, and won't leak (and won't send rust particles into your fuel system).

:beer

That's great, but $8.00 worth of spray paint won't stop that rust from creating pinhole leaks in that old tank. A new terne-plated tank will far out-last you, and won't leak (and won't send rust particles into your fuel system).

:beer

I was just talking about the outside. I used a coating system on the inside.

So I assume that $20,000.00 fuel tank that was always advertised in the Corvette Driveline mag would not interest you?:rotfl:L

So I assume that $20,000.00 fuel tank that was always advertised in the Corvette Driveline mag would not interest you?:rotfl:L

Thats a good one and you are correct (or should I say roger that). Given that is about the amount I've got invested in my '73, the choice would be between the tank or the whole car!

fair seas and following waves, thank you for your service

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom