Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

should this hurt the value?

futura57

im buying a 1971 LS5 automatic, its red with tan interior, rally wheels, it looks pretty good. but, the LS5 is long gone and thers a 1967 427 in its place, the seller is claiming that its an L88, i have not confirmed this yet. i am wonering if the value of this car is hurt because the 454 is not in it, though a better engine is in it now and possibly the L88 which would be a much better/more rare engine than the LS5. any opinions on this?

Value can be a very subjective thing. Yes, from the standpoint of originalty, an incorrect motor will hurt the value. However, other factors can, too. Is the paint or interior original or newer? These, too can affect originality value. That said, does the car in its current state bring you happiness? Does driving it on a winding road with the tops out bring a smile to you face? This can be value, too. A lot will depend on just what you intend for your Corvette - full restoration, lots of driving, shows, autocross, etc. as to how valuable this particular car is to you. If you are happy with it just as it is, then to me it's about as valuable as it can get. Save the Wave! and welcome to CAC!

you have a good point purpleracer, i am happy with the car the way it is, i like 1960s 427 engines more than 1970s 454s. the owner says the car was originally gold, im guessing war bonnet yellow, so it has been repainted to red. i dont really care if a car is #s matching or not but i just want to know how much i should pay to get the car. would $18,000 be about in the ballpark for a nice driver LS5 that has a 427 in it?

im buying a 1971 LS5 automatic, its red with tan interior, rally wheels, it looks pretty good. but, the LS5 is long gone and thers a 1967 427 in its place, the seller is claiming that its an L88, i have not confirmed this yet. i am wonering if the value of this car is hurt because the 454 is not in it, though a better engine is in it now and possibly the L88 which would be a much better/more rare engine than the LS5. any opinions on this?
Define "value" first! :L

From a collector's or investor's perspective, if the original block is gone, that reduces the value, regardless of what replaces it since the vehicle is no longer all original. The exceptions would be where the vehicle was a single owner to prove it was an original big block Vette or where the vehicle had racing heritage.

To some, if the replacement block is a legitimate L88, there would be inherent value in owning such a rare engine. Of course, the odds on it being a legitimate L88 are slightly better than the odds of winning the lottery but I digress.

As a purchaser, you have to look at the value of the vehicle as a whole. The seller is trying to get as much as he/she can while compensating for the loss of originality.

This is where you have to do "due diligence" and figure out what is important to you. What purpose do you have in mind for the vehicle? If you're looking for a Vette to restore for it's collectible value, the engine scores as a black mark regardless of it's alleged heritage. If you're looking for a driver, the engine doesn't matter so long as it's in good shape and working working well. If it is a legitimate L88, you might only be access that value by selling the engine and installing a new big block. The General sells big block crate engines now. They're not cheap but if you got a good price for the L88, you'd still make a profit.

I would check the numbers of the car and the engine to see what you're looking at and then decide what it's worth to you. If you put the block stamp number, casting number and so forth here, I'm sure someone will be able to ID the engine for you.

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom