Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: So do you like the 15" rims or the 17" rims?

Do you like the 15" rims (top) or 17" (bottom) rims better?

• Total voters
'dre, I like the stock wheels, but it does date it....but then again it is from that era. 17"s would look good, I just don't care for those on your car. Now, Crager SS in 17 would be the best of both worlds.

Geesh. Y'all are hard on Vettes with non TT II wheels...

Granted, I like the stock slotted wheels... but they would be better if Wheel Vintiques made a 17" version.

IMG_2074.jpg

This is a "quick & dirty" photoshop I snuck in here at work. Trust me when I say that the actual pic I have at home of the car with the OEM rims doesn't look this good.

evolution1980-albums-random-pics-picture1494-evo1980-oem-rims-photochopped.jpg
See. That does look great. The polish masks all the difference. The wheels need that bling to go with the brightness of the white stripes. If you still have the 79 rims you could polish them to look like that. You just start with some 500 grit paper and work your way down from there.

Here's the real picture of the original rims. Note the blacked out center area and not-as-high polish as the actual 80-82 rims. I just didn't like it. Plus, those rims are super expensive to replace if ya bang 'em up. AND...as John just mentioned, yeah, I can sand 'em & polish 'em blah blah blah. But that's just too much of an ass-ache. I did that once or twice and by the end of the week it looked like they had barely been touched. F' that! Waaaay too much upkeep.

evolution1980-albums-random-pics-picture1512-original-wheels.jpg

It sounds like I might be in the minority here, but I like the 17s. I do like the cragars on the C3s but Cragar now makes a Super Sport 610 that looks like the old school wheels with an update. These wheels come in 17" and 18". They make the C3s look lower without losing ground clearance. Check em out!

'Dre..

You've gotten my views before (and i saw your 15's on the car, remember? ;) ).. I still ike the OEM's with the BFG's.. Looks "right" to me.

Dont know if that puts me in the old folks crowd then.. :chuckle

:w
-Stefan

Here's the real picture of the original rims. Note the blacked out center area and not-as-high polish as the actual 80-82 rims. I just didn't like it. Plus, those rims are super expensive to replace if ya bang 'em up. AND...as John just mentioned, yeah, I can sand 'em & polish 'em blah blah blah. But that's just too much of an ass-ache. I did that once or twice and by the end of the week it looked like they had barely been touched. F' that! Waaaay too much upkeep.

evolution1980-albums-random-pics-picture1512-original-wheels.jpg
Evo, maybe those 79 rims might look better on your vette if your rocker panels were black??? Otherwise go with a chrome 15''.

American Racing 200S Series VC 2001 would look right on your car IMO, period correct style and tough. The gun metal is cool as well. I like the OEM alloys polished (I should, that's what I have), the chrome on steel set in the first pick are uh... not my favorite, I don't think the 17's look right on a C3 to modern for that antique.

American Racing: Official Manufacturer Website- custom, chrome, polished and painted wheels

I like Cragars on the right car, but to old school for your sled.

The Vectors are to hard to keep clean, as are the gun metal Americans.

I studied this very question and looked at all the options. I couldn't get a 15" tire that was (a) wide enough or (b) looked correct. So I started looking at 17 and even 18" wheels. All that was hampered by not knowing what would fit. It kind of came down to the old "dartboard". Put pictures on the wall and start throwing darts. Ended up with 17's.

DSC00145.jpg

American Racing sizing chart configuration

For anyone considering American Racing rims...I've (for the most part) deciphered their naming convention.

The wheel code is #######
The first three digits represent the model
The 4th digit is the diameter, so a number 5=15", 7=17", 8=18", etc.
The 5th digit is the width, so an 7=7", 8=8", etc.
The 6th & 7th digit refer to the bolt pattern.

So when I was looking at the Torqlites, the proper model or part number was 1357861.
135 = Torqlite
7 = 17" diameter
8 = 8" width
61 = 5 x 4.75" spacing

Any rim with a model number ###7861 should fit my car.

As for diameters, I think 15" is the smallest they still produce, so a "2" would denote 22" and not 12".
As for half size widths such as as a 7.5", I don't know what they use.

I have 17x8 American Racing Torq Thrust II's installed with 255/50-17 tires. No one has addressed the huge difference in the way vettes handle with the larger rim and lower profile tires. There is a massive difference in cornering ability with the 17" wheels vs. 15" wheels. My .02

8886IMG_0031.JPG

There is a massive difference in cornering ability with the 17" wheels vs. 15" wheels. My .02
The diameter really isn't the main factor. It's the tire compound first and foremost. But getting the hi-performance compounds in a 15" and wide (e.g. 255) tire is not available. So, yes, in that capacity, you need to move up to a 17", but that's due to the manufacturers deciding that they aren't going to make hi-perf 15" tires.
:beer

The diameter really isn't the main factor. It's the tire compound first and foremost. But getting the hi-performance compounds in a 15" and wide (e.g. 255) tire is not available. So, yes, in that capacity, you need to move up to a 17", but that's due to the manufacturers deciding that they aren't going to make hi-perf 15" tires.
:beer

I don't have first hand knowledge of tire compound differences, but what I was referring to was the 17" sidewall's different flex than the 15". The 255/50-17's I put on have a sidewall that's 50% of the tire width. The 255/60-15's I took off had a sidewall that was 60% of the tire width.

When going around a corner with some speed on the 15" tires, I experienced a bouncing sensation as the suspension and tires tried to work together.

With the 17" wheels the car is now stuck to the road with no bounce though a corner. Could have just been my car, but I bet if you put a set of 17" or larger wheels/tires on your car you too will feel a difference.

How they look is up to the individual. (except NCRS types) :)

I think what Evo was saying is basically what you just said. It's the shorter sidewall, not the 17" diameter that is making it feel like it's on rails. A lot stiffer.

So here's the "final" output as it actually is. I tried to get the car in the same position as last time. The first pic was taken in the morning (8 years ago!) and the new pic was taken in the evening (today), so the sun is at opposite sides. (I know that's nitpicking, but when I'm trying to duplicate as much as possible, those things matter to me. :L)

evolution1980-albums-random-pics-picture1491-evolution1980-15-rims.jpg

3481643874_aa95c83db1_o.jpg

The reason I put the word final in quotes above is because although it's kinda hard to tell, I have the spinner caps on this side of the car. I don't have them on the passenger side, as I'm trying to decide which I like better. It's pretty even right now. I think either way looks acceptable. Opinions on any/all of this?

3480831915_a5ddbe8782_o.jpg

Here's the passenger side without the spinners, just the OEM caps.
3481644004_2a6e9279f3_o.jpg

3481643948_0c16f767e7_o.jpg

And here's the somewhat obligatory rear quarter panel shot that shows to some extent the dish of the rim and the tire tread.
3480831885_455af2149b_o.jpg

...and compared to my initial photoshop in the first post, I'd say it was a pretty good estimate! "Good Job, me!" :L (I've removed the photoshop pic from the first thread and replaced it with the actual.)

WOW DRE!!! THAT LOOKS REALLY SHARP!

:thumb

I like'em Makes it look much more up-to-date. So what exactly are they?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom