Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

So what oil do you use?

radstad66

Corvette
Blue 1966 Roadster, Black 1986 Coupe
I have read a lot on synthetic vs minneral oils.

What oil do you use, and in what Year Vet. :(

Mobil 1 in my '94. I haven't heard any reason to look elsewhere. I can't wait to see what other brands receive comments in this thread.

Mobil 1 in my 90 L98 and in my 73 454. Also in the pickup and, in fact, in the lawnmower :D

tom...

Any Synthetic...

Now using Royal Purple 20/50.

Going to try RP 10/30 coming change.

I usually use one teflon type additive per change if no leaks (the vette doesn't leak oil anymore.)

GM dealership crate stock replacement 350 SBC iron heads, minimum cam, blah compression ("Target Motor"). Estimate 40K miles - 25k since I've owned it in July.

I use synthetic in anything that doesn't leak too much, and typically 20W50.

I user Castrol GT (natural oil) in my 64. It has the original 327 and the good old Castrol has done just fine all these years, so I stick with what has worked. I am not so sure I would consider going with the synthetic in a 39 year old car.

Oil

I typically use Mobil One. Although the other day I called the shop next door to my office and they said they use AC Delco oil? I made sure they meant the oil and not the filters and he said they use AC Delco synthetic oil and the AC filter.

Anyone ever heard of AC Delco synthetic oil and/or who actually makes if for them?

I use Penzoil 10-W- 40 in my 88 Vette........

I have an '84 vette, here in Southern CA., it has 87k miles on it now.....been driving it for the last 10 years on sae 20-50 weight oil...and using Valvoline Max Life Oil.....
No problems.....don't flame me.....it works for me.......period...
Just my thoughts.....
Also use an oil cooler, and the ford filter's....
great...
If its not broke....don't fix it....
tony

Might be of interest?

Check this out it may be of interest, might not??
This is a quote from an email I got today

Advanced Motor Oil Training Center is planning to offer a new lubrication and filtration resource website, and I'm interested in your opinion. So, I am administering a very short survey to those who have previously downloaded my ebook "The Motor Oil Bible" and might be interested in this new site.

Your input will help me create a website that will best serve your needs and will offer you the services and information you want. I estimate that it will take you approximately 2 minutes to complete the survey.

The survey is located at the following website address. You can either use the hyperlink below, or cut and paste the entire URL into your browser.

http://www.HyperTracker.com/go/klawncare/survey/

I would appreciate a response by March 7th, 2003, if possible. Again, the survey should take only a few minutes and requires no typing on your part (6 multiple choice type questions). Your answers to these questions are most important, and will be kept confidential (used only for the purposes of this project) and anonymous.

Sincerely,

Michael Kaufman

Vettes use Valvoline 10W40, 96 Impala and 96 Camry I use Quaker State due to warranty restrictions

Oil is oil, as long as it meets current API specs; I've been building small-block Chevys for 40+ years, and have always used brand-name 10W30 (Pennzoil, Valvoline, Quaker State, etc.). Never had a lubrication-related failure, don't ever expect to; just change oil & filter at reasonable intervals and don't worry about it. Forget all the marketing hype - all your engine cares about is that the oil meets specs, is fresh and clean. :beer

Valvoline Max-Life 10-30 in my 110,000 mile 1981 corvette. Driven in the months late April to November.

Dave

We started to use Mobil1 in my sons '95 Blazer when we put the new GM 4.3 engine in it. Chris uses regular Mobil in her '81 Corvette. The Vibe, and my '85 Ciera use whatever they put in at the GM dealer where my wife works.

The Ciera is a 2.5 liter 4 cylinder. The car was originally bought there and has always been serviced there. I'm the 2nd owner. It isn't pretty but it just turned 211,000 miles and I don't even have to check the oil between changes (3000miles). It's always right up to the full mark. That says a lot for John's point that as long as the oil meets the specs it fine. Regular service is a must for long engine life.

Tom

The way this winter has gone I am glad I am running Mobil1 in my truck !
If it isn't snowing it has been below freezing.
-2 this morning.
I think this will go down as an all time cold winter in Boston.

But having the syn stuff the engine doesn't put up a fight to start and slosh thru the molassas that regular oil would become.

Tom - Is that the original 2.5 in your Cierra? If it is,thats pretty impressive. Lori keeps telling me she is going to put 200,000 on her 98 Cavalier with a 2.2. She's about half way there! I am using full synthetic in her car.

Dave

BURGLAR said:
Tom - Is that the original 2.5 in your Cierra? If it is,thats pretty impressive. Lori keeps telling me she is going to put 200,000 on her 98 Cavalier with a 2.2. She's about half way there! I am using full synthetic in her car.

Dave

Yes.

The car has never had any engine work other than tune ups and the valve cover resealed a couple times. Trans hasn't either other than regular servicing

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom