Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Starter Problem Again...Help would be appreciated

Derrick

Corvette
1975 Coupe
Had a bad starter about 4 months ago so went to Autozone and bought a starter. Put the starter on and it worked and sounded fine for the first 3 starts. Then the starter started making a higher pitched noise while cranking. The starter would still crank the engine until it started but the noise didn't sound right.

Took that starter back (under warrenty) replaced it with another starter....same problem.

Took that starter back put on an AC Delco starter...same problem.

Took that starter back and put on a Powermaster XS Torque capable of turning over an 18.1:1 compression engine. Same problem.

Any ideas of whats going on here? Wiring stayed the same on all the starters and the original starter I had on the car worked fine since I've owned the car until it crapped out.

It would appear that you have eliminated the starter (including solenoid and bendix spring) as your problem. Since the 'noise' did not appear until you started replacing starters, it is possible that the new starters have not been properly aligned to mesh with the ring gear on the flywheel. You may have to shim the starter for a true alignment. If worn or broken teeth on the ring gear were the source of the problem, the noise would be intermittent as the noise would only occur when the starter drive wheel contacted the faulty section of the ring gear.

6speeder said:
It would appear that you have eliminated the starter (including solenoid and bendix spring) as your problem. Since the 'noise' did not appear until you started replacing starters, it is possible that the new starters have not been properly aligned to mesh with the ring gear on the flywheel. You may have to shim the starter for a true alignment. If worn or broken teeth on the ring gear were the source of the problem, the noise would be intermittent as the noise would only occur when the starter drive wheel contacted the faulty section of the ring gear.

That's what I figure....but I can't understand why the starters work fine for the first few starts. If it was an alignment problem, it seems like the noise would be heard from the first crank.

I wasn't sure from your post that ALL the starters worked fine the first few times. I made the assumption that maybe one starter worked at first, and the others just made 'noise'. One could surmise that the starters 'moved' after the install, but it doesn't follow that you didn't tighten each subsequent starter securely. Since the noise was not evident with the original starter, and you have done nothing else but replace starters, the problem should be with alignment. Why there is no 'noise' the first few cranks is strange. It is possible that the gears mesh at first, but the torque generated when the starter is activated changes the alignment just enough so that the flywheel is rotated, but the gears no longer mesh precisely causing the 'noise'. I don't know the torque spec for the starter nuts, but you might try an extra turn during the next install, being careful not to overtighten the nuts. Did you happen to notice any shims or washers when you removed the original starter?

Another thought, check the starter mounting holes to see if they have become elongated from corrosion or wear.

6speeder said:
........ Did you happen to notice any shims or washers when you removed the original starter?

There weren't any shims installed on the original starter....but that's certainly a good thought about the corrosion of the mounting holes. I'm going to crawl under the car again today and check them out. If they are a bit widened, that seems like a major problem.

I have 3 mounting holes for the starter. Currently I'm using the staggered mounting holes. Perhaps I'll try using the two holes that are directly in line with one another.

Thanks for the input!!!

Make sure you're using the correct starter bolts with the larger-diameter knurled shank section, or the starter will be misaligned, and use the starter brace, which takes the load off the starter nose to maintain correct starter pinion-to-ring gear alignment.
:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom