Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Starter/Solenoid problem

87 Twin Turbo

Corvette
1987 Callaway Twin Turbo
Hey guys,

It's been awhile since I last posted here. Looking forward to the reunion and the prime parking location for us.

I have been having a problem with the car. I think I have a problem with the solenoid or the starter, or possibly even the ground wire. Come to think of it, it might possibly be the neutral safety switch. My question...how does one go about gaining access to the starter? With the oil lines and the metal tube running from the engine to the catalytic converter in the way, does one have to remove this or what? Can access be gained by taking off the front wheel and the plastic splash guard?

My problem is, when I turn the key sometimes the engine does not turn over. Turn the key again and it will start-sometimes. When it does turn over, the starter turns as normal. Can't see anything from the top as to where the grounding wire is attached to the frame or engine.

If it should be the starter, I have been told to use the smaller high torque starter. Any thoughts on this other than it would not be considered an "orginal replacement"?

Hoping it might be a simple fix, but with these cars, nothing is simple. Any suggestions and input would be soooooo appreciated.

Thanks

Jack

Jack,

That sounds to me like the neutral safety switch. Been there before and suspected the starter but it was not the cause. Thought it is not recommended for safety reasons, you can jump the switch for troubleshooting it. The neutral safety switch is located by the neutral pedal and they are notorious for going bad.

Luigi

:cool

Hey Jack, welcome back! :upthumbs

On my regular Corvette, it has done something similar to what you mention, but it is an automatic. That in mind, I am inclined to think it is the solenoid (in my cars' case) but have not had time to chase it further. If it does prove to be that, I am going to pull the starter and have it rebuilt and the sloenoid replaced, as I want to keep as many original parts as possible.

Something you may want to keep in mind with your car, is it is better to get it rebuilt vs. replaced, as then you are sure it will be as original as possible.

You can bypass the switch as Luigi mentioned, verifying it is that. If not and you think it is the starter, good luck with that wrestling match :eek:hnoes 1987's are a bit tighter than later cars, as the cats are right in the way!

Again, welcome back. See you next month at the Callaway Reunion @ Carlisle :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom