Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Starts...Revs High...Dies....HELP!?!?!

Ludigdrums

Corvette
1981 White Coupe
Okay so I finally got my alternator straightened out (1 of the bracket bolts was missing cause it was stuck in the engine block which I luckily got out), so now the bracket and alternator and nice and tight as well as the alternator's clock position fixed.

Anyway, I don't think this has anything to do with that, but it was just a coincidence what happened next. So, I started the car and it started right up and was revving a little high. So, after like 30 sec I tapped the gas and the idle started to come down and then stalled. I tried starting it again and it almosted started but didn't. Then all it would do was crank. So, I checked the carb to see if it was getting gas and it seemed like it wasn't. I took off the fuel line at the carb and cranked it, there was plenty of gas getting pumped...so the fuel pump seems fine. I primed the carb with some fuel and was able to get it running finally. That was yesterday, and it worked fine the rest of that night. Well, this morning I start er up and same thing. Starts right up, revs high, then dropped out.

What gives?!?! I don't get it, how can it keep loosing the gas like that?! It;s a mechanical fuel pump and it seems to be working. It's an 81 with a Holley Carb w/elec. choke. Air pump removed, Edlebrock Performer intake and headers w/2 cats & mufflers. That's all I really know.

Sorry so long winded, but I hope someone can help me out yet once again! THANKS!

- Jeremy

Stuck float, dirt in the carb, clogged fuel fliter.

Cool...but how do I check these?!

The only thing I think I can rule out is the fuel filter because I had the tube off after the filter and there was plenty of gas coming thru. Although I guess it couldn't hurt replacing it anyway.

Where are those valves and such that I need to check and how?

- Jeremy

If the float is stuck in the up (or bowl full) position, it will not let gas into the carb. When this happens it will act like you ran out of gas and will not start. You can try running some carb cleaner through it or pull the top of the carb off and check the needle valve seat for dirt or other junk.
Has the car been sitting for any length of time?
If it has, gas with gum up when it sits in a carb for a while.
There used to be some stuff called B12 carb cleaner, worked pretty good.
Good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom