Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

tach problems

mytoy

Corvette
1978 L82 BLACK
I have a 78 L82 four speed, the problem when the car is at idle and running the tach is fine when I shut the car off the tach stays around 1000 , anybody got any ideas thanks mytoy

mytoy,
I can't help you solve this issue, but my 79 is the same way. I installed a new tach circuit board and it made no difference, so I live with it. Thats not to say a new board will not solve your issue, I'd just hate to see you spend the money for the same result like I did.
Good Luck

I have a 78 L82 four speed, the problem when the car is at idle and running the tach is fine when I shut the car off the tach stays around 1000 , anybody got any ideas thanks mytoy

I think they all do that once they get a certain age.

Doesn't seem to be a big deal- as soon as the key is twisted forward.. the tach assumes the ready position... the starter engages and then it roars to life!!!

That's normal. The tach is electrical. It loses juice when you turn off the ignition but it ought to be down near the idle speed mark (600-800 rpm; check the tune up sticker). 1000 rpm for a curb idle seems high.
:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom