Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Targa Top Question

Highway Man

Corvette
1992 Black on Black Coupe
I've got a 92 targa top and I have been reading about the handling problems after removing the targa top. I have looked at both the frame cross brace and the targa brace but what I would really like to find is a targa brace that can be put in place and left in and would also allow the removal and reinstallation of the targa top without having to remove the targa brace. Does anyone out there know of such a product and where it can be found? If so I would appreciate hearing about it. If no one does I have some friends who are engineers and I may see what they can come up with. Thanks in advance.:w

Top Braces

The only targa top braces I've seen use the existing mounting holes to attach to the car. I don't know how it could be done otherwise.

I haven't encountered any undue difficulties with the top off (yet!).

I've got a 92 targa top and I have been reading about the handling problems after removing the targa top. I have looked at both the frame cross brace and the targa brace but what I would really like to find is a targa brace that can be put in place and left in and would also allow the removal and reinstallation of the targa top without having to remove the targa brace. Does anyone out there know of such a product and where it can be found? If so I would appreciate hearing about it. If no one does I have some friends who are engineers and I may see what they can come up with. Thanks in advance.:w

No such animal. You either put the top on or the brace. either serves the same purpose, having both does not. Cannot actually. Mounting is limited. Get the under frame X brace if you want the top off more often.

Targa Top

I have to agree with Clive.I have had the top off a number of times since I bought the 95. I haven't noticed a problem when cruising around at highway speeds. I guess I would have to ask are these guys driving with top off in road races or hard driving situations?

I have to agree with Clive.I have had the top off a number of times since I bought the 95. I haven't noticed a problem when cruising around at highway speeds. I guess I would have to ask are these guys driving with top off in road races or hard driving situations?

you won;t notice it under normal driving conditions. Aggressive driving will show the flaws rather quickly:ugh... as would an emergency manuver.

you won;t notice it under normal driving conditions. Aggressive driving will show the flaws rather quickly:ugh... as would an emergency manuver.

I must have had a bad '92, it shook and rattled like a skinny dog passing razor blades with the top off. I think I only had that top off 3 or 4 times and that was to clean and lube the seals. That's normal driving I never raced that one as I piled 92K on it in 4 years doing my work.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom