Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

[Tech Article] Best All-Round: We Test the Goodyear F1 GS-D3

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
Hib Halverson, a well known contributor to internet content and print media has recently tested the new Goodyear F1 GS-D3 tire for C4 and C5 Corvettes.

Check out his in-depth review and comparison testing of this latest offering from Goodyear!

Best All-Round: We Test the Goodyear F1 GS-D3

Okay, you talked me into it. I'll need new rear tires before too long, and I'll get the F1 GS-D3's.

Ken

• Admin
Ken said:
Shall we stick this Rob?

_ken :w
Eh...ok. For a little while.

F1 GS D3 Tires

We have these tires on our 1994 Coupe. The car needed tires when we bought them so my work (I work at a Chevy Store) sent the car out to our local tire store and the car came back with these. They are great tires and quite a conversation piece because of the tread.

F1 GS-D3

I put a set on this year and love them! My traction is much better than the run flats and they are quiet. I'd highly recommend them.

Hib / Rob - I had a set installed last weekend very quiet - I like them. thanks for the info on them.

Leakers?

One set of these on a stock 1991 Corvette wheel with "clip on weights" leaked the air out at the clip of the weight. Of course the solution was tape on weights. Anyone else have this problem?

I went to Discount Tire & had them balanced with GSP9700 using the stick on weights. No problems at all.

I think the reason that the clip on weights didn't stay is that the side fo the tire has a "rim protector". The tires have a raised edge of rubber very close to the rim and actually sticks out farther than the rim itself. Hopefully this prevents scratches in the rims.

Re: Leakers?

y2kvett said:
One set of these on a stock 1991 Corvette wheel with "clip on weights" leaked the air out at the clip of the weight. Of course the solution was tape on weights. Anyone else have this problem?

Had the same problem. Have two mouted on the front of my 95 and one tire had a bad leak due to the rim weights. Took it back and it was rebalanced with stick on weights and it hasn't been a problem since. Every once in a while I need to add air to the other tire. I may take it bakc and have them rebalance that one as well.

Leon

Another thing to check is when you replace tires make sure that however does it cleans the rim where the tire mounts. Always clean the inside of the rim. I've had tires mounted and they didn't clean the rim and they had to dismount them, clean the rim and remount and balance because they leaked.

GR8 timing, Rob!

Just bought a 85 and it has Goodyear vr 50's on front (directionals I surmise) with Nitto HP's NP-250 steel belted out back. No wonder the car was all over the place in rutted I-5 and uneven surfaces! :mad ;help
Had Ponzie directionals on the Miada STO this lovely lady is replacing and the wet and dry traction was superb!
So the findings on these new Goodyears is eye opening. Must admit the writer comes accross alittle biased but feel the road testing is honest opinions.
Will be checking availablity with our local tire dealers and what Costco has to offer( yes I'm cheap) but as I live in western Wa. the wet traction factor is paramount in all tire decisions.

I will be driving often in wet conditions, so any members opinions on other tires is welcomed.
Will update you on this thread as to what I end up with and their performance.
Later,TC

Make sure you look at Tire Rack online. I got a excellent deal on my tires there. They even sent me a $50 GoodYear card after I got the tires! Service was excellent! I had them mounted lcoally.

Re: F1 GS D3 Tires

BLUEDUCE said:
[B
They are great tires and quite a conversation piece because of the tread. [/B]

Got them on my GS and the are the best....period The tread is wild and everyone does comment. weights are taped on the back and work well.

I agree with Michael, everybody comments on the tires! They look cool and handle great.

Sigh..., no cindarella slippers

For the lowly 255/50 R 16's on my stock 85.
Went to tire rack and read the opinions and it sounds like the Kumho ECSTA Supra 712's would be idea for fast driving in Western Washingtons usual conditions, rainy.
Costco had a set of BFG Comp TAs but reviews were mixed. Usually they were replaced by other skins that the reviewers liked better. And cost is simular to more advanced designs so they arent a consideration.
It appears that the prices I can get locally here are comparable to Tire Racks deals.
This (and any) vette I own/drive wont be a garage queen. So its slippers must work well in wet conditions.
Thanks for your great input All!

Decided on the Goodyear F1 GS-D3

I need new tires on my 94 coupe, and after reading the test on the GS-D3, and hearing all the good reports from people that are using them...it looks like the way to go. I am running Y2K wheels on my car, that I bought used, which came with EMT's which are like driving on steel wheels. I am looking to replace these tires as soon as I can get the cash together. Anybody have any good recommendations for tire dealers in the Southern California area? I am concerned about price of course, but I also want a dealer who knows how to mount and balance performance tires.

Just ordered mine from Tire Rack today, could take a couple mos. for the 275's to arrive, the 315's oughta be here fairly quick. They should be pretty fresh for the Pony Express in late June :cool :D

put those f1 gc d3's on mine and love them. they look hot and i get great feel and response out of the car.1996 collector edition convertible

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom