Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The 1962 ZR-1...

• Thread starter Thread starter sothpaw
  • Start date Start date
S

sothpaw

...I went to an autocross in Western MD Saturday, and I saw a 1962 ZR-1. No, It's not mistyped.

A farmer (he must be a good mechanic too) had purchased a 1992 ZR-1 which had been wrecked. Damage was to the driver's door/hood (where they meet) from impact with a pool/tree. Frame was badly bent and firewall messed up.

Rather than restore the Z, (guess that would be too boring), he took all the body panels off. He straightened the frame, then changed his mind and bought a 1988 frame to use.

With the new Frame, he placed 1962 Corvette panels in place. Since the wheel base is different, the panels had to be "adjusted" somewhat. I asked how-- he said "fiberglass". I guess it is easy to work with.

Think of this the next time you see a wrecked ZR-1.

This was actually well documented in a magazine a year or so ago, I want to say it was the NCRS Driveline but I could be mistaken. I'll have to scrounge around at home tonite. I do recall that no solid axle cars were harmed in the process, he used spare stuff he had lying around.

Along the same lines, there was a 61 Z06 - YIKES - at the NCRS Convention in Hershey last week and man it was schweeet!

71Shark said:
This was actually well documented in a magazine a year or so ago, I want to say it was the NCRS Driveline but I could be mistaken. I'll have to scrounge around at home tonite. I do recall that no solid axle cars were harmed in the process, he used spare stuff he had lying around.

Along the same lines, there was a 61 Z06 - YIKES - at the NCRS Convention in Hershey last week and man it was schweeet!

the Z06 that you seen was a member here that goes by the name of C5Vetter and it's a 63 :) he told me he was going or atleast i think he told he was :D you sure it wasn't a 63 Eric?

BTW Andy hows the vette running now with all the mods? i hope it's Faster ;)

Oh yeah Mic, I am absolutely positive it was a 61. However, the solid axle running gear and even the frame had been ripped out from under it and replaced with a new frame to support the C5 running gear and IRS. It had the new thin 5-spoke C5 rims too. Belive me Mic, it was a 61, I'd never mistake a Mid-Year for my all-time favorite model year 61. Black with the chrome mesh grill, coves on the side with the 61-only three horizontal bar logo, waterfall between the seats, oh yeah, it was a 61 and a nice one at that.

The same car was at Carlisle last year in a vendor tent. The vendor builds the frames and does the entire conversion.

-Eric

Rick (C5Vetter) did take his 1963 Z06 to Hershey as far as I know. At least that was the plan. The last time I talked to him he was getting it ready for Flight Judging. Rick's '63 is a real 1963 Z06.

I think what Eric is talking about is a 1961 with C5 Z06 mechanicals and probably a Paul Newman or SR III chassis for C5 suspension. Is that right Eric?

That '62 ZR1 article was in The Restorer a year or more ago.

Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom