Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The Big, Big Block Build.........

69MyWay

Corvette
1969 Killer Shark
Okay, it is finally time to put the big block together. I loaded it up on the truck this afternoon and will drop it at the machine shop on Monday. He will hot tank, bore it .060 over, press my rods, line hone, cam bearing install, freeze plugs, crank polish, and check it all out.

Hiper Ass

I am not being rude here, but check out the factory lettering on the front of this block.

This is just a two bolt main 454 with a steel crank.

Yeah Man..This looks like fun from my view:gap Any projection date for turning the key?? What are you expecting for HP and TQ Chris??
Hey Those hooker Boxes look familiar heh..heh.
Looking forward to more pics ..
TC

Do ya think?

Chris has a type "A" personality..

( Dim the lights.. start the band)

The hardest workin man in cars
The James Brown of Corvettes
YYYYYAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH
watch em work HEH!
Jump back.. gonna fiberglass my self!
HUH

So goood.. so nice... ba bum bum bah HEEEEYY!

Mike

Mike, you really crack me up. I can't wait to meet up with you guys at Shark Fest.

Tom, I am duplicating Edelbrock's 539 hsp .060 over 454 test mule. Then, I am dropping the multi port Pro Flo injection on top of that and hoping for 10-15% more power. Judging by how much trouble the rear tires are having holding the 90 on the road with a fairly mild small block, I am going to use every inch of the extra rubber that the rear fender flares will let me squeeze in.

The good news is I have collected most of the engine parts so far.

Heads
Head bolts
Pistons
Rings
Gaskets
Cam
Timing Chain
Timing cover
Oil pump
Oil pan
Ignition
Headers
Fuel Injection-includes the intake
ARP engine bolts
Aluminum radiator
Lakewood bellhousing

I don't have:

flywheel
clutch/pressure plate
hydraulic thowout bearing
*these all will come from Quartermaster
push rods
rocker arms
valve covers
air cleaner
cooling fans
water pump
a/c compressor
alternator
power steering pump
front accessory brackets
water neck
hoses
plugs
wires
motor mounts

So, it will take me some time to get these items.

I hope to have it running in May at the latest. That gives me time to work out the bugs and finish the rest of the car by August--then to Bowling Green for SHARK FEST!!!!!

Will Hyperass fit on a license plate?

You don't often see a big block Chev engine in a street car where I live. I am simply amazed at how big those lovely beasts are. Having fit a small block to my '79 Corvette I struggle with the thought of fitting a big block. You must have to have tremendous patience and clean mind to fit one of those monsters!
Nice pics too and yer gotta get the numberplate!

As of late I have seen stranger things on license plates.

Saw one yesterday on a 3.5 Acura RL that said:

4 DA HOZ

I kid you not. My buddy got WETYET on his 89 Corvette, and the fellow that bought my old 383 stroker 85 got GETSUM.

So who know?

The funny thing is, I think the block was suppose to say HIPER PASS. Somehow they did not get the P stamped on there.

Hey Dave M, there is not much difference squeezing a big block into a 69 than it would be to drop one in your car. Same basic frame, firewall, and inner fender skirts.

Block at shop

The block is officially at the shop. It is being done by ******* ******* in Jacksonville, Florida. ***** ***** and his father have been in the machine business as long as I can remember. They are a production shop and do a little race stuff on the side.

***** said he prefers two bolt big blocks and four bolt small blocks. In any event, I am not going to get into a debate on the subject, but feel that it will be adequate for my needs either way. The new Speed Pro pistons will be "floaters" vs. the standard pressed fit.

It should be .060 over, cleaned up, and ready for me to assemble in a few days. Doubt I will do much with it until the weekend.

**Note** I deleted the name of the shop and owner to avoid what may appear to be name calling due to the "disappearance of my pistons

All I can say is wow....
eek2.gif

How do you fit much on plate there Chris?

Interesting....
That explains why it isnt "hiper ass"?? but what would "Hiper Pass" stand for. Any idea what that would mean?

Awhile back, I did some research on whats available in the clutch/pressure plate area, and remember there being quite a few considerations and combos.
Have you Zero'd on a clutch/pressure plate yet. Seems that may be a tough one considering the TQ youll be making with your Motor??
TC

Quartermaster

I will be running a Quartermaster complete match set of clutch, pressure plate, and hydraulic throwout bearing. As you know, I already modified the firewall with the hydraulic master cylinder from a full size mid 80s Chevy truck.

33_1.jpg

This little baby will make short work of the clutch work.

Ok, At the time I didnt understand what that was about, so that how it works..never seen that done before, nice Pic ...Yer da Mod Man allright..gotta keep that in mind..:gap

TC

Looks great Chris, I am sure you can figure out who this is! ;)

2KSonoma said:
Looks great Chris, I am sure you can figure out who this is! ;)

Cool! Now we need to find you a Corvette, or at least a Corvette motor to plug into that Sonoma!

I really appreciated your help yanking the motor out of the 90. Maybe I can talk you into coming back over and helping me hang this 454 between the frame rails on the 69.

69MyWay said:

Cool! Now we need to find you a Corvette, or at least a Corvette motor to plug into that Sonoma!

I really appreciated your help yanking the motor out of the 90. Maybe I can talk you into coming back over and helping me hang this 454 between the frame rails on the 69.

I sent you a email about that L98! ;)

hehe No problem helping, well, whatever help I was if you want to call it that. I am more than happy to help you out some more!

Just got a call from the machine shop. Two things came up. One is that the thrust area on the block where the cam gear spins has excessive wear. According to the shop this is nothing unusual for a 454. He is going to machine it out and press in a brass thrust plate with holes and grooves for oil. No problem, just more $$$.

Second, the crank was cut down to 42 thousands. What this means is the prior builder (yeah right!) had it set up for easy spinning. This is really not an issue, but requires me to use the high volume pump and good weight oil. There should be no noise or anthing like that, it is just on the loose side. This is a steel crank and just needs to be polished other than that.

So, it is looking like it will be ready 2/15.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom