Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The good, the bad and the ugly...

oceangal

Corvette
1982 silver/claret
Well it hasn't been the corvette year I was hoping for. Considering how long I have had the car I feel like a lot got done and I have new Goodrich TA's on it. And soon afterwards it started running poorly. I think it was a loose rocker arms, which Rick tightened last night and did the timing with the new harmonic balancer (yep more new parts!) Put in a new fan cluth as the other one was leaking. I think now its going to need a new camshaft and maybe more. Rick is doing to work on the rocker arms again.
As cautioned I am not going to ever get the money back on this car that I put into it, esp if I am looking at pulling the engine out. And I still haven't done anything with the interior (badly need seats) and still needs painting. And while I don't have to pay for labor, financially its still a rough time (my 8 yr old has Aspergers and I dont' work full time).
So now I am wondering ...what next? I feel like we have put some much into it that its stupid to give up. On the other hand...what if the tranny goes next?
Okay so all that was the bad and the ugly...here is the good...

Rick bought an old crossfire air cleaner to take apart and make 2 seperate ones and put in the K & N's. Still more work to do, but overall I like the look. I haven't driven it so I don't know what that means performance wise. I still have the original one should I want or need it.
While I was searching for air cleaners just now I found a set on ebay that includes a distibuter cover which I like, esp since the one mechanic I paid to work on my car put blue wires on it! Why?!!

I am still hopeful I can drive the car a few more times this year and then figure out what to do. Rick is itching to get to work on his '68 firebird restoration and since all the parts for that are new, I am pretty excited about that myself. The side of the garage were the firebird is is heated so I imagine once it gets cold we will head over there, which is fine with me.

Here are some before pictures and after :)

yourVette010.jpg

yourVette005.jpg

fall2006-weddingandhalloweenandvett.jpg

fall2006-weddingandhalloweenandv-1.jpg

The engine detail looks good! Nice job. I think everyone that owns a C3 will end up spending more than it is worth on it.

nice work on the '82....looks like you put in some time and effort!!!:_rock
very nice!!! :upthumbs

Looks lots better! :_rock

What I did was that when a family member asked me what I wanted for X-mas, Birthday, or fathers Day, I would point out a few suggestions in the applicable Corvette catalog. Often enough, I would get at least one of my most desired parts.

After a while...and maybe a bit while longer, the Vette starts looking so much better, that before one knows it, the Vette is nearing completion.

I recognize that, at a minimum, treatment for your 8 year old is time consuming and an exercise in funds drainage, so of course, the wellness of your family comes first -always!

But try to look at the Vette project as therapy for you to do some self healing.

Hang in there!

GerryLP:cool

Looks Great!

I pick up my 1982 Vette on Monday. I wonder what I have gotten myself into.

I love what you did to the intake. It looks great. Those separate air cleaners look great. You can actually see the engine, now.

That engine compartment looks awesome. You did an outstanding job on it, and you should be very proud of yourself. I think you'd have a hard time letting her go after all the time, work, and money you've put into it. We all put money into our cars. Ever year I have at least one thing done to mine to keep it looking and running good. It's all a part of pride and ownership.

The engine detail looks good! Nice job. I think everyone that owns a C3 will end up spending more than it is worth on it.

Well put. I think the formula looks like this...
x= purchase price + (1/10 x gross income)

That engine compartment looks awesome. You did an outstanding job on it, and you should be very proud of yourself. I think you'd have a hard time letting her go after all the time, work, and money you've put into it. We all put money into our cars. Ever year I have at least one thing done to mine to keep it looking and running good. It's all a part of pride and ownership.

Thank you!
Well I must have jinxed myself - a few weeks back I blew up the tranny. So I was thinking about my options and basically it was sell it or keep it.
So I sold it...

Nah, just kidding!!
I am going to sink a lot of money into her and just be done with it. Will I ever get this money back - I don't care. I don't plan on selling it for a long time to come.
So here is the new engine - its on its way:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEV...5QQihZ016QQcategoryZ33613QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
we added on new headers too and a new starter :)

and I think I (bf) just bought this tranny, these guys look good:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PRO-...ryZ33727QQihZ015QQitemZ250067741693QQtcZphoto

I think the only thing I will have to rebuy are new valve covers, which isn't a big deal.
And then I have to get the interior done and the paint! Thank goodness my fiance' does all this stuff or I would be in big trouble. I would love to have most of this done before the wedding (July).

In any case...Happy New Year to all of you and I look forward to tooling around in the 6 million dollar ride and meeting more of you!

Lori

Lori,

If your tranny gave-out while doing burn-outs or 1/4 mile lapses, then I would say that the unplanned expense for a new tranny was well worth it....:L .

Congratulations on your planned wedding!:beer

Lori,

If your tranny gave-out while doing burn-outs or 1/4 mile lapses, then I would say that the unplanned expense for a new tranny was well worth it....:L .

Congratulations on your planned wedding!:beer

Thank you Gerry!
I just thought of a license plate frame for me:

Driver carries no cash!
haha

Lori,

Long time no see!! Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!!!!:)

Elaine

What intake are you going with? Are you transferring the crossfire setup to the new motor??

Jim

Much to Skip Whites chagrin we are keeping the cross fire - esp now with the modification - I think it just looks really cool. We are going with an XRam Manifold. The new starter came today from him and that looks nice.

It's always exciting to get new parts, even if we have to tap into the funds a little bit more than we wanted. But the eventual smile on the face always makes it worth it.

Dare we wish for the unseasonably warm weather to continue and maybe you'll even to get get it on the road this month?!?!

Much to Skip Whites chagrin we are keeping the cross fire - esp now with the modification - I think it just looks really cool. We are going with an XRam Manifold. The new starter came today from him and that looks nice.

If you are going to use the TBI's rebuild them. They can be the cause of many problems. They can even cause symptoms identical to a bad cam. Check the shafts for play...when closed if you wiggle the shafts the plates should not move at all. If they move you have a vaccum leak. To give you an idea of the sensitivity...they are set to draw 6 wg (inches of water) each...that is less then the human hand can sense. A leak in a shaft can triple the wg in on tbi causing 3 times more air to enter one side of the engine then the other which will feel like a worn cam lobe. You need to make sure those TBI's are in perfect condition.

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom