Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

The 'Opti'

T

Ted Krempa

I have seen reference to the 'Opti' on the board (and not to get it wet !) Can I get the short version of what is the 'Opti' and where it is on my 96 LT1

Thanks, Ted

thanks 6, no hosing off the engine right ? if so, how do we clean the engine bay ?

Ted

Actually . . .

I power washed my 96 LT4 Grand Sport Motor twice when I owned it with no problems.

LT4GrandSportMotor.jpg

6 Shooter said:
I power washed my 96 LT4 Grand Sport Motor twice when I owned it with no problems.

LT4GrandSportMotor.jpg

dodged the bullet:r

for the rest of us, simple green is probably the most common method of cleaning:ugh

The later "Optis" were less prone to the problem than the early units. The '92's and '93's were notorious for the problem. I actually got away with washing my '93 Z-28 (LT-1 w/Opti) afew times before I finally fried it.

To tedkrempa:

The Opti Spark is the igntion system, or part of it, it is basically the distributor, that was relocated to the front of the engine that had some inherent design flaws. They were rectified by 1994-5 but one should still NOT wash any '92 thru '96 LT-1 engine whether located in a corvette, camaro, roadmaster or impala.

markone

tedkrempa said:
thanks 6, no hosing off the engine right ? if so, how do we clean the engine bay ?

Ted

I cleaned mine by hand with simple greene and a ton of elbow grease. It takes a while and is messy as hell. Lots of rags, some brushes, then vinyl protector for the hoses. It might take you a few days here and there but its worth it.

I wash my 95 with a hose every weekend NO PROBLEMS;. The early optis have an aversion to moisture.

To clean the motor, I use a squirt bottle of water and some Castrol Super Clean.

I had to replace my opti after the water pump started to leak. Not a pretty repair bill. The later ones like on the 96 are not as prone to water damage as the old ones.

6 Shooter said:
It's on the front of the engine under the water pump.

Here's a few opti links for ya . . .

1992: Campaign: Optispark Distributor

Corvette LT1 Opti-Spark Ignition

Hope this helps.

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

I had my Opti go out a few months ago
Could someone please explain to me why GM put an electrical device under the frigging water pump? That to me is just plain stupid. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that electrical devices and water do not work happily together!!!!

When I replaced my Opti my mechanic reccomended replacing the waterpump too. At just over 50,000 mile the pump was due as there were signs it had "weeped". That along with the cost of the Opti and labor. There was no way I'd take the chance that the water pump wouldn't "weep" onto the NEW Opti and possibly take it right back out.

6 Shooter said:

LT4GrandSportMotor.jpg

ok - for the "LT1 Challenged", somone give us directions to the water pump and Opti, please

Under the Air hoses and just behind the AC accumulator (the shiny thing in 6 Shooters pic.) If you follow the spark plug wires one end will go to the spark plug the other will go to the opti. The water pump is just above the opti. I think you can just see the edge of the opti in Shooters pic (the white thing back in there.)

:w

Vettelt193 said:
dodged the bullet:r

for the rest of us, simple green is probably the most common method of cleaning:ugh
I take the Steem Jinny to them all the time,and have never had the First one not Start!! :upthumbs junk!!

Hrtbeat1 said:
Under the Air hoses and just behind the AC accumulator (the shiny thing in 6 Shooters pic.) If you follow the spark plug wires one end will go to the spark plug the other will go to the opti. The water pump is just above the opti. I think you can just see the edge of the opti in Shooters pic (the white thing back in there.)

:w

Thats what I thought (chase the spark plug wires).
Thanks for pointing it out for me -
And drop by if you are ever in N. Biloxi
Rain

Some ideas

Ok, as a new LT1 owner myself I have been having these questions as well. I have found a great resource for Camaro's now at shbox.com. He has been a big help. Here is a picture that may help.

This is the Opti itself
93-94_opti.jpg

If you go to change the Opti there are a few other things you should keep in mind to change out at the same time. The Water Pump along with gaskets is a must. You will also want to replace the entire distributor and not just the cap and rotor. Go ahead and change the seal and O-rings for the distributor and front of the cam shaft. The Serpentine belt would be an idea. Spark Plug wires might not be a bad idea as you are already there. Along with that Spark Plugs themselves too. And if you want to do the free mod of the Throttle Body By-pass, then this would be the time as some coolant could spill or leak down onto the opti. These are some ideas to think about as the car approaches 100k miles as it would be time to change these things anyway. Why not plan ahead?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom