Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Those with Modified Engines and Original Carb

Sensei

Corvette
'81 dark blue
In case anyone is interested, I am building a high performance E4ME Quadrajet (Computer controlled) and am looking for someone interested in using it on their modified engine. A 383 would be nice, but a really stout 350 would be okay too. I am not looking to make money on this, but would need to be reimbursed for my expenses. The reason I am doing it is to show the potential of these great carbs that are so mis-understood and vastly under-rated and silence the nay-sayers once and for all.

Most of you know I have been on a mission for some time now to become an expert on these devices. I bought my ’81 years ago, then found out it had this unique computer controlled carb that everyone said was not suitable for high performance and no mechanic will touch. Instead of going the “trash and replace” route, I decided to study the E4ME and the entire Computer Command Control system and master it. As I looked into the system, I saw some challenges, but in the end, no performance limitations. I believe the E4ME and the entire ’81 CCC system can easily be made to support any level of street performance.

Over the years I have modified my engine (Dart 180 cc heads, Comp XE262 Cam, headers, flat tops etc.) and carburetor one step at a time. I have done a lot of experimenting and learned a lot of tricks for this carburetor (it’s been out of the car on the bench for surgery more times that I can count), and my car will effortlessly shred the rear tires, even with the stock 2.87 rear gears.

I rebuild these things as a hobby, and recently picked up a great core from an ’82 V8 Camaro with manual transmission. It is identical to the ’81 carb except for the date code numbering. I have already torn it down and inspected it and have begun modifications. Some of the mods will depend on the specs of the engine it will go on, so that is why I’m looking for someone with a performance engine who is interested. If you are running a stock carb (or have just replaced secondary rods) and have a well modified engine, you will definitely feel a difference in the seat of your pants with this carb. I guarantee it! I can’t give an exact price until I know exactly how I will be building (I need your engine specs), but around $180 including shipping should be about right. Anyone interested please let me know.

God bless, Sensei

P.S. I am not posting this in the “For Sale” section because it is more of a technical demonstration than simply an item for sale. As I said, I will just be charging enough to cover expenses.

Thats very cool. Cant wait to see what comes of this. I dont have an engine built up enough to try this out, but I hope someone steps up. We could learn a lot.

In case anyone is interested, I am building a high performance E4ME Quadrajet (Computer controlled) and am looking for someone interested in using it on their modified engine. A 383 would be nice, but a really stout 350 would be okay too. I am not looking to make money on this, but would need to be reimbursed for my expenses. The reason I am doing it is to show the potential of these great carbs that are so mis-understood and vastly under-rated and silence the nay-sayers once and for all.

Most of you know I have been on a mission for some time now to become an expert on these devices. I bought my ’81 years ago, then found out it had this unique computer controlled carb that everyone said was not suitable for high performance and no mechanic will touch. Instead of going the “trash and replace” route, I decided to study the E4ME and the entire Computer Command Control system and master it. As I looked into the system, I saw some challenges, but in the end, no performance limitations. I believe the E4ME and the entire ’81 CCC system can easily be made to support any level of street performance.

Over the years I have modified my engine (Dart 180 cc heads, Comp XE262 Cam, headers, flat tops etc.) and carburetor one step at a time. I have done a lot of experimenting and learned a lot of tricks for this carburetor (it’s been out of the car on the bench for surgery more times that I can count), and my car will effortlessly shred the rear tires, even with the stock 2.87 rear gears.

I rebuild these things as a hobby, and recently picked a great core from an ’82 V8 Camaro with manual transmission. It is identical to the ’81 carb except for the date code numbering. I have already torn it down and inspected it and have begun modifications. Some of the mods will depend on the specs of the engine it will go on, so that is why I’m looking for someone with a performance engine who is interested. If you are running a stock carb (or have just replaced secondary rods) and have a well modified engine, you will definitely feel a difference in the seat of your pants with this carb. I guarantee it! I can’t give and exact price until I know exactly how I will be building (I need your engine specs), but around $180 including shipping should be about right. Anyone interested please let me know.

God bless, Sensei

P.S. I am not posting this in the “For Sale” section because it is more of a technical demonstration than simply an item for sale. As I said, I will just be charging enough to cover expenses.

Sensei.
I am very interested as I will be going to a 383 in a year or so.But timing is everything.I will be looking at a 383 with 400 hp and 450 ft. lbs. torque.
Probably afr heads and around 470-480 lift and 224-230 duration.Would like to use the E4ME if possible.Do you really think it could work well in a setup like this?

Thanks.... Barry

Sensei.
I am very interested as I will be going to a 383 in a year or so.But timing is everything.I will be looking at a 383 with 400 hp and 450 ft. lbs. torque.
Probably afr heads and around 470-480 lift and 224-230 duration.Would like to use the E4ME if possible.Do you really think it could work well in a setup like this?

Thanks.... Barry

It would absolutely work! That cam sounds awfully mild for a 383, it is pretty much what I have on my 355, and I consider it a mild camshaft for my application. I also have a mod that should make the '81 computer work with a radical camshaft, but it is still in the testing phase (anyone interested? This mod is less than $50).

God bless, Sensei

I think it's a great idea. But mine isn't what you're looking for. But I'm very anxious to know what the mod's are about. Are these only carb mods or also things that need to be added outside the carb? :)

Groeten Peter

Yes, they are mods to the carb itself. It is all really nothing new, the same stuff hot rodders have been doing to other Quadrajets for years. I'm just applying them to the E4ME.

God bless, Sensei

Thanks Sensai.....I recently acquired an '81 and am slowly restoring it. I wasn't going to modify this engine.....but I am intrigued by the possibilities.

I will stay tuned....

Sensei,
Has anyone tested your modified carb yet?

Baryy

I have the carb Sensei is refering to. I am in the process of wrapping up a few lose ends and plan on firing up the new engine. I will be posting the results soon, along with plenty of photos.

Thanks
OJ

I'm interested!!!

I have a 1981 Vette (it's black, hence the Batmobile). I am prepping a 3970010 casting four bolt main block that has been bored 30 over and notched to accept a forged stroker crank, h-beam rods and aluminum pistons. I want to replace and crate up my L81 motor. I started to go with the ProComp Aluminum heads until I realized they require an intake with tall intake ports which usually puts the RPM power range up in the 3000 - 6000 range. I am planning on a daily driver that can eat an occasional Mustang when needed. So the heads are gon back to the yet to be dtermined category, probably the Edelbrock RPMs just to maintain hood clearance. I want to keep the top end looking just like the original motor. What you propose sounds like the ideal plan. Tell me more about the impact of maintaining all of the smog junk and using your carb mods. Does the computer chip programming need to be modified??
My email is payne_ron@bellsouth.net
The body is currently off the chasis with everything including the Super T-10 getting reworked.
thanks for the info,
Ron

The Batmobile is under construction. I will post some picks as I get through this. What luck have you had with this carb setup??

I too have an engine getting prepped for installation. As a 383 stroker, I expect about 450HP give or take a couple of ponies. see my post above to Sensei.

Thanks and good luck with yours!!

Ron

Batman, the chip does not need to be modified, although it does not hurt to put in a Hypertech chip. The stock chip already lets the carb flow as much as it is set up for at WOT, you just need to get it set up to flow right for your motor.

God bless, Sensei

I've been Building Q Jets for years,There allot better carb than any Holley,and less maintenance too!!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Sensei,

I have two Quadrajets sitting on the shelf that I boght a few years back the numbers on them are as follows:

17082204 2152 DUM
17081228 1681 FOX

The first eight numbers are easy to decipher but I have no clue about the second four numbers plus the three letters.

Both of these carbs came off of automatic transmission cars. I have a four speed Vette, is there that big of a difference in the two??? I would like you to do your magic on the 1981 carb if it will work with my 1981 4 speed vette. How can I get it two you?? email??

r/Ron

Batman, the chip does not need to be modified, although it does not hurt to put in a Hypertech chip. The stock chip already lets the carb flow as much as it is set up for at WOT, you just need to get it set up to flow right for your motor.

God bless, Sensei

The only difference between a 4 speed and an automatic carb is that the auto has a stud on the linkage for the transmission kick down cable. You can use it on your four speed with no problems. I'm sending you a PM.

God bless, Sensei

Yes, O.J has one of my carbs, as he said, but he did not have the engine running yet last I heard. Hopefully he will be able to give a report soon. Also, I am presently building another high-performance E4ME for another member here. I hope to get some independent feedback on this soon. People with '81s need to know that their carb is a very capable high-performance piece when properly modified.

God bless, Sensei

I have a BB I'm putting in my 81 about to come back from the machine shop. All the specs show a 750CFM carb would be a great choice so I thought I'd use the original carb on the new engine if it made sense. Obviously it's going to need some work to support the engine. I've got a 402 bored .30 over, forged pistons, open chamber heads with 2.19 and 1.88 valves installed, pocket ported, running a Comp cam, .530 intake, .524 Exh. CR is to be 10:1. I intend to use the stock dizzy (worked a bit) and I'll punch a hole in the headers for the O2 sensor.

Can what your doing to the carbs support this engine in your opinion??

Thanks,
David

The E4ME is just an 800CFM (actually a variable CFM) Quadrajet that uses a computer instead of engine vacuum to control the metering rods. At WOT, the computer will raises the rods, so basically, the carb can be performance modified just like any other Quadrajet to whatever level you need.

If you use an extreme cam, you may need a votage regulator circuit to fool the computer into thinking you still have manifold vacuum, but that is an easy mod.

God bless, Sensei

Since I'm still going to run the computer, there shouldn't it would seem there shouldn't be a problem. I've not worked an E4ME carb before (I have done some work, just rebuilds and repair, on regular Qjets though), and could sure use your help since you seem to have been into them a bunch! For instance, I wouldn't have any idea how to put together a voltage regulator circuit for this application. I suspect I'd have to run it first to see if it's even necessary?? Any suggestions for the metering rods and the like I should run with this application?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom