Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Those with Modified Engines and Original Carb

It should, but I make no guarantees. Most of the mods only effect WOT performance, unless you are running a highly modified engine that might need idle circuit modification. In that case, I doubt you are concerned about smog inspection anyway.

Hello Chris,

My carb is leaking fuel past the little bolts (with epoxy) I installed earlier. Are you using special fuel resistant epoxy or not? Now I have all winter to fix the problem :)
Thanks,

Greetings Peter

Putting epoxy on leaking plugs is like smearing tar on a leaking roof. It might work for a while, but it is bound to leak again.

When I do this repair, I combine it with opening the fuel passages for higher fuel flow potential. I remove the old pressed in plugs, precision drill (open) the fuel passages and tap (thread) the holes. I then cut a about a 1/4" long piece of stainless steel threaded rod, and slot the end of it for a flat head screwdriver. I then coat the threads with epoxy (JB Weld or equivalent) and screw them into the holes to make a permanently sealed repair.

God bless, Sensei

When I do this repair, I combine it with opening the fuel passages for higher fuel flow potential. I remove the old pressed in plugs, precision drill (open) the fuel passages and tap (thread) the holes. I then cut a about a 1/4" long piece of stainless steel threaded rod, and slot the end of it for a flat head screwdriver. I then coat the threads with epoxy (JB Weld or equivalent) and screw them into the holes to make a permanently sealed repair.

God bless, Sensei

Did the same thing but two plugs (or rods) are leaking. But I'll see what the problem is :)

Looks like JB weld works alot better then the epoxy I used within the treads. Found somebody here in Holland who sells it so I'm going to use that. Thanks! :)

Greetings Peter

Very interested, PM sent.

EDIT...

Aparently my PMs arent sending... What I wrote was -

Hi,

I wrote a lengthy PM but apparently it didn't send... Hmmm

Anyway, If you'd be interested in making a few coins I'd really appreciate someone who knows what they're doing rebuilding my Q-Jet. I just brought home my 81 and it's running really rich, to the point of having fouled plugs. I'm going to go through the whole CCC manual, but a fresh carb will make a good start. If you're interested, please reply with your address and what you need from me to start. my email is ec928nc AT hotmail DOT com. Thanks.

I have built a few of these carbs for forum members but it seems, most, including the first one I started the thread about, were sold to people with "project" cars that never happened.

This has been a bit frustrating for me because I wanted people to use the carb and report on it publicly. Also, I always explain to people that I put every carb I build on my own car and test drive it before I ship it to them. That means the carb should be installed and used fairly soon, not stored for a few years, while the residual fuel in it turns to varnish.

81Batmobile has used his and commented on it. I did build a couple for forum members recently, one of which was for GerryLP, and I know his car is roadworthy, he just has not had a chance to install the carb yet. hopefully we will hear from him soon.

God bless, Sensei

P.S. I am not accepting any new carb work right now, but I would be happy to advise anyone looking to do the work themselves.

What a coincidence!

Just today I was swapping the carb on Gail with one I had Sensei modify for me. And all I can say is WOW!

The only adjustment I made was the idle, for I have a XE-268H in her motor, and prefers 600 RPM in drive over the stock 500 RPM.

Clumsy me, I leaned on the EGR Bleed Solenoid, and cracked the plastic manifold onto which the EGR hoses hook. So I had to glue it.

But then later, I took Gail for a spin, and one unexpected improvement over my Vette stock carb was the ease with which I press the pedal. It almost feels like a new car in that respect.

Another thing I noticed is that she has more pep -she spun past 3K RPM like nobody business, and the seat of the pants feel was much improved.

On my lap around town, I placed the transmission in 1st gear, and about 3,800 RPM's I noticed she didn't want to switch gears when I placed the stick on 2nd, But I dis not re-adjusted the TV cable travel thinking that it would be the same (this replacement carb is an L81 carb. In automatic, the tranny functions fine.

So tomorrow I will adjust and go for a 4th of July ride. I should be able to report back soon.

Chris, thanks for the gasket. It save me time away from the auto parts store.

GerryLP :cool

most of the time all these carbs need is different secondary rods to richen up WOT. that is the change that GM made between Q jets for SBC vs BBC

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom