Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Tires and wheels...

And me personally, I'm not a fan of spacers...Anything that slightly changes the geometry of the original setup. It also put a bit more load/stress on your axle/bearings.

This is a good point that Evolution1980 makes about the spacers, I did not have to use any spacers with the 17" cragars...I know there is a problem with 15" ones hitting the caliper....But I did move my e-brake mount and cable to the top of the trailing arms to use a 4 1/2" bs wheel...

15 and 16 inch don't have a very good selection of tires, especially high speed rated ones. With 17" there's a problem of the manufacturers going to smaller ratios as the widyth goes up, meaning it's not uncommon to run a 255 tire on the front that's larger in diameter than for instance a 295 or so in the rear..and nothin looks more rediculous than a larger set of front tires.

There's a couple of major drawbacks w/ the very alrge wheels, the suspension is not designed to use these and the camber andgles and rear toe controlmay haunt you resulting in rapid tire wear and sudden unpredictable loss of traction or grip. These tires don't have the sidewalls to bend and this can lead to a loss of adhesion.

I have 16" wheels and finding tires is a nightmare, for the street I have hoosiers for the rear...still not sure what to use on the front, it'll probably boil down to BFG295s even though they are not a performance tire at all..

top1.jpg

Just a side note: for those who have 16's, BF Goodrich has a few speed rated performance tires in 255 60's. I have a set of 4 on my '74, and none of the tires rub, even when autocrossing. The G-Tech Sports I have have a relatively square shoulder. Some early Sharks may have to grind the inner lip of the front wheels wells a touch for clearance. The factory had to do this in the later years for the optional tire sizes. I suspect some will have to do the same for 17" combos, too. Keep them rolling!

What exactly are your rims info like backspacing offset. and they are 20s right. does anything have to be modified?

What size rims are front and back? Can you tell me the back spacing and offset. Also do any changes need to be made to fit rims of that size? Also what are your tire sizes. I want to run the same wheels but I want to make sure I get exactly what I want and get the most dish possible. Thank you so much, looks really good btw

DSC05536_JPG.jpg

DSC05535_JPG.jpg
[/QUOTE]

What size rims are front and back? Can you tell me the back spacing and offset. Also do any changes need to be made to fit rims of that size? Also what are your tire sizes. I want to run the same wheels but I want to make sure I get exactly what I want and get the most dish possible. Thank you so much, looks really good btw

DSC05536_JPG.jpg

DSC05535_JPG.jpg
[/QUOTE]
You know you're replying on a topic that is 10 years old!?

Greetings Peter

Peer81 said:
You know you're replying on a topic that is 10 years old!?

Greetings Peter
Considering that our cars are 30-40 years old, this thread is barely old! :L

Considering that our cars are 30-40 years old, this thread is barely old! :L

Maybe not 'dre, but the guy he's asking hasn't been on since 2012....maybe this will get him back! :w

corvetteweslo, hopefully, if you go with those wheels and tires, you'll upgrade the brakes, those rotors look like they are about 9" diameter behind those huge wheels.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom