Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

To Change Shocks or Not! That is the question!

B

broker

OK, here's my dilema my 15 year old vette has 35K on the clock, do I change the shocks? By the way it has ride control... Any input is appreciated.

Only your b---- will know. Does it bottom out, is there any sign of leaks? Does the shock change settings? If not time for repairs and it is costly.

Thanks buttercup, it doesnot bottom out and and seem to ride ok, however I have not driven a c4 with new shocks installed so my judgement is jaded. There are no visible leaks and the ride control seem to work, but the service ride control idiot light comes on but sometimes turns off. I havent done any of the diagonistic tests described in the service manual and will do it soon once I rule out age as a factor, I always thought shocks needed replacement due to age as well as mileage, mine are now 15 years old. Thanks again for your suggestions.

I would not worry about age as long as they are not leaking.
If they change the ride when you change the selector then they are working but if the light is coming on you must have a problem somewhere.
I have an 89 with the original shocks it is the FX3 suspension.
These shocks are really expensive but Bilstien will rebuild your shocks for far less than what new ones would cost.

I would not worry about age as long as they are not leaking.
If they change the ride when you change the selector then they are working but if the light is coming on you must have a problem somewhere.
I have an 89 with the original shocks it is the FX3 suspension.
These shocks are really expensive but Bilstien will rebuild your shocks for far less than what new ones would cost.

This is the most cost effective solution, and you can have them do custom valving at the same time.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom