Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: un-hooking smog crap on 1982 L83

And in most state it's illegal.

Some states have allowances for olders vehicles, though may want to check.

tcxd40

If you unhook the smog equipment, I believe you will freak out the ECM and have the engine light come on. Different for an 82. I was able to perform this task on my 79 without any problems or issues.

I did this on my 82 and plugged all the openings. No problems at all. ps ..the cat's gone too.

Jeff,
I was wandering if you could do me a favor. I have a black 1980, but I have always liked the hood on the 79. The scoop/middle is a bit higher and in my opinion looks better, or lets say it looks BAD. I have been thinking about swapping, and I have found a used one locally, OEM.
Could you possibly send me several picks of your car highlighting the hood. If not possible, no problem. If you can let me know and I'll give you my email.
Great looking car!
Glenn

What about just taking the belt off. Wouldn't that be a little less strain on the engine and maybe give it a little boost. You know how when you kick the AC on, it drags it down a little.

If you do disable the AIR system, be sure to pull the little tubes out of the exhaust manifold. Otherwise the heat will mushroom the ends of the tubes and then you'll have to pull the manifolds and cut the ends off to get them out. :mad

What about just taking the belt off. Wouldn't that be a little less strain on the engine and maybe give it a little boost. You know how when you kick the AC on, it drags it down a little.

Nope. The A.I.R. pump consumes about 1/8 hp; lots of other factors are responsible for the existing level of performance (compression ratio, ignition timing and advance, carburetor or injection calibration, vacuum leaks, EGR calibration, factory catalytic converter restriction or plugging, etc.).

:beer

existing level of performance

Nope. The A.I.R. pump consumes about 1/8 hp; lots of other factors are responsible for the existing level of performance (compression ratio, ignition timing and advance, carburetor or injection calibration, vacuum leaks, EGR calibration, factory catalytic converter restriction or plugging, etc.).

:beer
John,
I would like my existing level of performance to go up. HA! My 1980 L82 is fully stock except for a couple of things. I replaced the Cat. with a new one. Replaced OEM filter with a K&N, and I'm also using a K&N lid/cover filter on top of the orginal air cleaner.
Installed a curve kit is the distrubutor and disconnected the smog stuff. At first I was going to leave all hooked up. One reason I replaced the Cat.
The engine has only 43,000 miles on it.

This helped a little, but I WANT MORE, MORE!!!
Without getting into the engine itself, what else could I do? Yes I know, put true duals on, and even better yet headers. BUT WHAT ELSE??

Thanks for your help, and everyone elses.

Glenn :)

Since you ditched the emission stuff, might as well loose the cat and ECM. Put on a regular Qjet and distributor. Get your initial timing up to as much as your engine w/ tolerate and curve your dist. so that mech. advance is all in around 2,500 to 3,000. Without cam and higher CR, that's about all I can think of. Make sure your coil and plug wires are good. My $.02 ;)

Since you ditched the emission stuff, might as well loose the cat and ECM. Put on a regular Qjet and distributor. Get your initial timing up to as much as your engine w/ tolerate and curve your dist. so that mech. advance is all in around 2,500 to 3,000. Without cam and higher CR, that's about all I can think of. Make sure your coil and plug wires are good. My $.02 ;)
I said without getting into the engine/BLOCK, but what about going to a set of different heads? Possibly a intake manifold?
Could I gain any HP that way?

I'm not a mechanic, so most the the technical stuff I have someone doing for me. I have already taken care of the plugs and wires myself. I would like to get it up to around 300HP or even better.
The other day I had to get pass this guy in a newer truck to get to my turn lane, and just because I was driving a Vette he wanted to race. I didn't think my 230HP would have gotten me around him in the short distance I had left, so I back off and went under him. The bastard! HA :)

Nothing I suggested got inside the engine.

I think you'll find that there is no ECM on a stock 80. It should also have a decent carb. Definately get rid of the cat....

Just my thought.
Dave

Thanks for the correction. Wasn't sure when they went to the ECM and electric Qjet. Had an '80 Cutlass that had one.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom