Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Using clay bar.

F

FXM

Have my first Vette. 08 coupe, Jet Stream Blue Metalic. Have never used a clay bar. What is the proper sequence to washing and waxing the Vette? Any cleaner/wax/clay bar better than another? Gotta get her ready for my first Vette get together. Thanks to all in advance.

Have my first Vette. 08 coupe, Jet Stream Blue Metalic. Have never used a clay bar. What is the proper sequence to washing and waxing the Vette? Any cleaner/wax/clay bar better than another? Gotta get her ready for my first Vette get together. Thanks to all in advance.

Congrats on your new 'lady'. (gotta get "her" ready...) In my 'opinion' (there's lots of those around here!!) you should check to make sure it needs a clay bar used on it. If it does, check (surf) this web site because you can find posts on that sorta thing....and the ratings members give to individual product lines. If your vette doesn't need a clay bar then you can use cleaner/wax combo. That's what I use anyway. Meguiar's liquid cleaner wax. From what I've found you can buy more expensive product but it doesn't work any better....from my experience anyway. Do you know how to check to see if your vette's paint needs a clay bar used?

Washing/waxing a vette is same as most other vehicles....unless you have a roadster, then a lil bit attention to ragtop might be needed....but I think you mentioned fastback. :)

The sequence is:

wash, dry
claybar with detailer as lubricant
polish
wax or glaze.

Remember, you don't have to bear down on the clay.

If you wash the car and dry it. Get a plastic sandwich bag from your kitchen, put your hand into the bag and slide it across the surface you suspect of needing a clay bar, you should be able to feel the grit as your fingers slide on the surface.

Clay bars are abrasive. This is how they work. They can/will remove the top most coating with repeated use. They will wear the paint, if used enough. Most of the time, claybar use is only removing a clear coat's embedded debris. Frequent "turning" of the clay must be done, or the debris will build and scratch the coating. If the clay is dropped onto a floor, the clay that came in contact with the floor must be discarded. It cannot be "kneaded" into a usable lump again. "Claybarring" a car is a relatively new thing in detailing. Remember: CLAY WEARS PAINT!:eek:hnoes

Clay bars are abrasive. This is how they work. They can/will remove the top most coating with repeated use. They will wear the paint, if used enough. Most of the time, claybar use is only removing a clear coat's embedded debris. Frequent "turning" of the clay must be done, or the debris will build and scratch the coating. If the clay is dropped onto a floor, the clay that came in contact with the floor must be discarded. It cannot be "kneaded" into a usable lump again. "Claybarring" a car is a relatively new thing in detailing. Remember: CLAY WEARS PAINT!:eek:hnoes

I second that line about discarding any part of the clay that has contacted the floor (or any other dirt bearing surface). The clay grabs and holds on to everything and the junk that can get in the clay and leave stratches.

I generally clay bar the rear of my cars more often than the rear just to get the soot and stuff that sticks to the paint there. I use the clay at the beginning of the spring show season and maybe once more during the year just to keep the wear on the clear coat down. Also, there are different polishing levels of clay bars available - fine, medium, etc. If you go to a paint jobber, you can get the different versions. Medium will remove a lot more clear coat than fine or very fine.

Thanks for your info. Enjoy the up-coming cruiseing season.

I need to really think about this. Will have someone look at Vette with me. Thanks for your time. Save the Wave.

That's interesting, will check that out. Have a great touring season.

Going to that area now. Thanks 6 Shooter. Save the Wave.

For the most part I will say that your car very likely needs claying. I would have a hard time saying that you would damage your paint by claying the surface. Keep the clay well lubricated and I doubt seriously that you will damage your paint.

I like Adams products, but there are many good lines out there. Here is a great video series from a member of our own CAC, Junkman2008.

From Clay to Wax - A Step by Step Video Tutorial! - Adam's Polishes Forums

I'm going to move this to the Care & Detailing section. :)

Elaine

The clay bar also removes old wax, stuborn bug guts, road tar etc...

I'm not sure where you live in MA but there is that seminar coming up at Corvette Mikes in Plymouth .I'd like to attend one of the Adams product seminars sometime .There would be people there that could guide you on rather to clay bar or not .

I'm not sure where you live in MA but there is that seminar coming up at Corvette Mikes in Plymouth .I'd like to attend one of the Adams product seminars sometime .There would be people there that could guide you on rather to clay bar or not .

excellent point

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom