Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

vacuum lines

glen3107

Corvette
1987 Black Coupe
This afternoon, I noticed that a vacuum line (about 1/16") running just behind the alternator was cracked.
Like a dummy, I fiddled with it. It was so brittle that a section about 2" long broke off.
I went to the local parts store, but they didn't have a replacement for it.
I looked in eckler's, corvette central and MidAmerica and could find a replacement either.
Any suggestions where I could find a replacement?

I went through the same thing and couldn't find a replacement right away, so I cobbled together something that worked using pieces of the broken line in conjunction with a section a new vacuum line. It's hard to find lines that small in diameter. ;)

Good luck. :upthumbs

_ken :w

Skinny lines

The local NAPA store has that stuff on the east coast. Got one nearby? They've got an on-line site too.
Good luck

You can use pretty much any thin flexible vacuum line in place of what breaks, though you'll have to buy new fittings. I went through a period of time where I broke probably five or six different lines while tinkering - they get really brittle with age, as you've found out :) . My local AutoZone and Parts America both sell a coil of this line. It's not in the same specific shapes as the OEM stuff, but it'll bend to fit.

IIRC, Vigman or one of the other experts said you can actually use 1/4" OD flexible line and it won't get as brittle, either.

[RICHR]

Here's the deal

You use the 1/4 inch to put OVER the vac line that broke.. cut it back so the ends clean.. grab a little duco cement ( or other sealant )

And 1/2 of an inch from where the break was
put a little bead round the hard tube.

Slip the 1/4 rubber line over it..

Repeat for other side

TADA!

Vig!

Vig, if his lines are like mine were, that won't work... just touch one and it disintegrates :( . 16 years of heat plays merry hell with hard plastics. You'd wind up replacing the whole old line with new tubing, just two inches at a time :) .

[RICHR]

Yes, it broke without any effort.

Say, was the tubing that you used to replace the vacuum line a hard plastic, plastic hose or some other material? Also, how did you connect the sections together?

I'm actually using two different things. In one place, I've got the OEM molded hard plastic (almost unbendable) line with new OEM connectors (by the AIR pump). In all the other replacement places, I'm using a mildly flexible (it'll coil if you're gentle; it's sold that way) hard plastic line with new aftermarket fittings. I got all my non-OEM stuff from Parts America or whatever Western Auto is called now.

I replaced each section that broke in its entirety, from one OEM connector to the next (except where the connector was brittle and broke as well). I've done the lines to the fuel regulator, the pieces along the plenum on the passenger side (which has a Y in it) almost to the AIR pump, and something by the firewall that may be part of the cruise control that has a vacuum check valve which also broke. The replacement connectors and valves don't look exactly like OEM, but are pretty close.
[RICHR]

Gentlemen....

Almost any part store has a section similar to the HELP section that has numerous fittings for hose. I simply replaced all the plastic for 1/4 rubber hose and don't worry about it any more. The hardest part was getting it into the firewall to supply the vac for the a/c, vent and heater controls.
And as Vig pointed out, where you cannot replace it just stick a section of the 1/4" over it and you are done.

Cut a piece off and bring it with you, just keep checking auto part stores, you'l find it.

I found some hard 1/16" vacuum line at O'Reilys and some rubber 1/16" vacuum line at Auto Zone. I cut two 1" long sections of the rubber line and used them to splice in the hard vacuum line. It was a whole lot easier that I imagined. It took all of about four minutes to repair the line and now the car is running great.
Thanks for all the great advice.:w :CAC

Man, those pre-formed plastic lines are sure to break with age; just looking at them makes them brittle! I, too, have broken a few, so I have routinely replaced them with short plastic fittings on each end, then using rubber vacuum tubing for most of the run. Has worked fine so far, and lasts longer as well!

Bob

Re: Re: vacuum lines

Codeglia said:
Man, those pre-formed plastic lines are sure to break with age...

Especially under the hood. I found that the lines to the heater controls inside the car to be as soft and pliable as when new. :eyerole

_ken :w

Ken said:
Especially under the hood. I found that the lines to the heater controls inside the car to be as soft and pliable as when new.

I've broken the line where it goes into the harness at the firewall. It is sticking out about 1/8 of an inch.

Where does this hose go into the car? I am assuming it is for the heater controls. Is there an easier location that I could access it from?

It's a difficult area to work in and I hope someone may have some advice. I realize I have to open the harness to get enough tube to make a splice.

Bump, it was at the bottom after all of the headlight motor post's :)

It does lead to the ventilation control panel, and it's a bugger to get to. No easy way out here; you'll have to remove most of that side of the dash (underneath).

Thanks Ken,

It's actually in the engine compartment behind the distributor. The harness looks like it fans out and goes through the firewall. Is this where I will find the hose you mentioned?

On mine, I used the plastic stubs on either end of that junction block (?) to attach new lengths of hose.

I'm sorry I don't have a better picture of it, but here's what mine looked like before I re-did the entire harness:
DSCF0005.JPG

Thanks! That is where I thought it was. I still have the dash on the passenger side apart so I think I can locate the tube easily. I'll let you know how it goes.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom