Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Vette caught on fire and melted

Corvette
1984 Black Coupe (sold) 1992 White Convertible
Monday morning I wake up to my neighbor pounding on my door. I open the door and he yells you're car's on fire. I immediately hope he was referring to another one of my cars, but when I seen that it was the vette I went nuts. I was going to try putting it out with a fire extinguisher I have, but the flames were burning so hot I couldn't get within 10 feet of the car. By the time the fire dept. put out the flames, there was hardly anything left to the car. The motor and engine dept. never got burned, but the firefighters did cut the hood open to make sure there were no more flames. Rear bumper was spared as well all 4 tires and rims. I'm probably going to part it out at this point. The real kicker of this story is that I had dropped the insurance on the car for the winter because I wasn't driving it. So, the moral of the story is keep your insurance on your car during the winter because you never know what could happen. I believe a mouse or something got under the dash and chewed some wires . If I had disconnected the battery cable I wouldn't have had this problem either. So thats another lesson learned.. Needless to say, I wanted to share my story so others in the Corvette community don't have to pay the price for the lesson I had to learn so hard. I'll post some pics when I get the time. This 92 convertible was my pride and joy! :mad

Monday morning I wake up to my neighbor pounding on my door. I open the door and he yells you're car's on fire. I immediately hope he was referring to another one of my cars, but when I seen that it was the vette I went nuts. I was going to try putting it out with a fire extinguisher I have, but the flames were burning so hot I couldn't get within 10 feet of the car. By the time the fire dept. put out the flames, there was hardly anything left to the car. The motor and engine dept. never got burned, but the firefighters did cut the hood open to make sure there were no more flames. Rear bumper was spared as well all 4 tires and rims. I'm probably going to part it out at this point. The real kicker of this story is that I had dropped the insurance on the car for the winter because I wasn't driving it. So, the moral of the story is keep your insurance on your car during the winter because you never know what could happen. I believe a mouse or something got under the dash and chewed some wires . If I had disconnected the battery cable I wouldn't have had this problem either. So thats another lesson learned.. Needless to say, I wanted to share my story so others in the Corvette community don't have to pay the price for the lesson I had to learn so hard. I'll post some pics when I get the time. This 92 convertible was my pride and joy! :mad
AW MANNNNNNNNNNN! That SUX. You have my sympathy. :cry
Andy :w

I've learned a lot about life in the last three months. I feel terrible about your loss, but these things can be replaced. I say that never having dealt with what you just did. Thankfully nobody was hurt, and you seem to be doing well considering the circumstances.

Good Luck to you. :w

Wow, at least if you part it out your corvette lives on as a part in someones "pride and joy." My sympathies.

Are you sure you didn't still have comprehensive on? ;shrug

During the winter months I drop liability and collision .
I am still covered for fire , theft etc.
If your agent didn't set it up this way you need a new agent.

Glenn
:w

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Just the reason why I dis-connect when my Vette's sit idle for the winter. No battery tender, no way.

Sorry to hear about your loss. My sincere condolences.

And I'm thankful it wasn't locked in an attached garage out of sight with you and your family asleep in the house in the middle of the night.

Jane Ann

During the winter months I drop liability and collision .
I am still covered for fire , theft etc.
If your agent didn't set it up this way you need a new agent.

Glenn
:w

Click on my tab on the left side of the page. Classic Auto Insurance. I will take care of you! :beer

MAN O MAN, im sorry to hear about that, i hope that the insurance company will work with you a little bit.. thats a damn shame...right at Christmas too.. maybe Santa will bring you a new one?;) I hope things work out for the best for you. post pics when you can...My vette sits outside under a cover and waterproof tarp in the bad weather... your story makes me think a little but im glad i have 5 cats :cool they like to lay on the car( drives me nuts!!!) but i guess it could be a good thing. kinda like a guard dog... Happy holidays !!:w

I'm also so sorry to hear about your loss. Thank goodness, though, that no one was hurt. We also drop the collision part of the insurance on our two Corvettes for the winter but keep fire and theft on. The cars are in a locked garage, but you never know what may happen.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Elaine

see post rats mice chipmunks

See the post re: rats mice chipmunks invading your car,sometimes right in your garage if a door is left open.Hopefully some of the suggestions will prevent someone else's car burning due to a rodent chewing on wires.:confused
My sympathies

That just stinks...hopefully your agent didn't drop all of the coverage. Remember cars are replaceable, people aren't, thank God that no one was injured.

That is terrible news. I feel really bad for you. Glad no one was hurt. I'm going out now to disconnect my batteries.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Just the reason why I dis-connect when my Vette's sit idle for the winter. No battery tender, no way.

Not the first one to go up in flames but it's one more reason to disconnect .Just think if it would have caught the house on fire in the middle of the night.

Oh and most important ,I'm truly sorry for the loss.

Have you found out why it caught fire? A heads up may save someone elses car.

Ok it kinda seems weird that I just told someone on facebook sorry for their loss of a family member......I come in here and someone has lost a car and more people have commented on a lost car then what there is on facebook. Wow it's crazy how much a corvette gets into so many peoples blood. It's like any corvette owner in the world is like a brother or sister to other corvette owners. I'm proud to own a corvette and I hope when I can afford a brand new one that I am not stuck up like some og the people I met at MAM this past year. Sorry guys but just cause you spent more on your vette doesn't make you a better member of this family lol.:)

Sorry for your loss, but I can't figure out what a rodent could chew on to cause a electrical arc big enough to start a fire. Since you said there was no fire in the engine bay, there is no where else that a current runs that is more than 5 volts unless there was gas in the car.
Are you sure it was not arson?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom