Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Vette Magazine---still the pillar of inaccuracy

Hib Halverson

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
Corvette
71 04 12 19
I worked for Vette Magazine from 1988 to 2001 but am sad to say that the magazine continues to be marginalized by its lack of accuracy in covering our hobby.

The new issue has two articles relating to ZR1s. In the first, a feature on a 92, incorrectly states the engine's rated power is 385-hp---it's actually 375. The same story says 94 ZR-1s were painted Turquoise in 90 and 91. Actually it was 110.

The second article on the 24-hr endurance Record Run set by a ZR-1 in 1990 states the test track where the Record was set was in Arizona. Not. It was hundreds of miles east of there in Texas---Ft. Stockton to be exact.

What's sad is these errors are very basic and demonstrate that Vette's staff is just downright lazy, refusing to do even the most basic of research one can do with Google.

The reason I obtained the current issue of Vette, was I responded to one of those subscription promos offering a free issue, figuring that maybe the magazine had gotten better in the last year or so. Apparently it hasn't.

When the subscription invoice came, I wrote "Cancel" in big black letters then sent it back.

That is no joke KOPBET, all of the local papers I have read where ever I am always seem to be off on something. It could be something as simple as the date (yes, I have seen the wrong date at the top of a paper before, and for awhile I thought I was reading the future). Thanks for the heads up though Mr. Halverson, I was thinking about asking for a subscription as a Christmas gift. Maybe not so much now.

I dunno. With all the magazines seemingly being owned and published by the same house anymore ... :eyerole

Hib, just this past week I received a group of 24 issues of vette mag from 92-93 that I bought on eBay and I have been perusing them since.

A few of the articles are by you and thank-you, they are quite informative (and I noticed no mistakes). .... but.... I tend to take "the written word" with a grain of salt ie, whenever human interaction is involved then you can just about bet mistakes are gonna happen.

I know of people that own magazines and, in reality, they are mainly concerned with "the bottom line" as opposed to the accruacy of content .... and in order to get the highest return on their investment something has to suffer .... and it is usually quality of product.

In the case of mistakes in newsprint, the concept of "retractions" is a lowly cop-out and I (as are so many others) are resigned to accept the fact that personal standards are not the norm.

Personally, I find adventure in finding mistakes and misinformation in print. ... its a sad state!

;shrug

Hib Halverson said:
I worked for Vette Magazine from 1988 to 2001 but am sad to say that the magazine continues to be marginalized by its lack of accuracy in covering our hobby.

What's sad is these errors are very basic and demonstrate that Vette's staff is just downright lazy, refusing to do even the most basic of research one can do with Google.

When the subscription invoice came, I wrote "Cancel" in big black letters then sent it back.
I really don't think any of the other Corvette mags do any better either; one of the main reasons I don't subscribe to any of them. :(

Ken said:
I dunno. With all the magazines seemingly being owned and published by the same house anymore ... :eyerole

Actually, that's not really the case.
Vette and Corvette Fever are published by the same company but Corvette Enthusiast, Corvette Magazine and Vette Vues are all published by different companies. Four companies publishing five magazines is still a pretty competitive market place.

Look at the big picture though Hib, monster corporations such as Primedia hold the reins to most magazines, magazines that once were viewed by each other as "the competition." Now they're stablemates. ;)

I still subscribe to one of the vette magazines..Corvette fever and the information is kind of bogus..

Shame b/c for years I believed what they used to print as truth..

Now I sort of chuckle as I read them.

Nice photos though.

Hib Halverson said:
Actually, that's not really the case.
Vette and Corvette Fever are published by the same company but Corvette Enthusiast, Corvette Magazine and Vette Vues are all published by different companies. Four companies publishing five magazines is still a pretty competitive market place.
Hib-

What Corvette publication do you like?

I suscribe to four magazines. In my view, Corvette Magazine is by far the best. Corvette Enthusiast is next, then Vette and Corvette Fever come in last.

I have quite a few Corvette books, and the errors in those are amazing. I have one that is filled with errors. It even has captions on pictures that are clearly for some other shot. I don't remember the title for sure, maybe Encyclopedia of Corvette or Catalog of Corvette or similar. It presents itself as a compendium of accurate data. NOT!

What really aggravates me about this particular issue is when I see some journalists that frequently write for these magazines, state how much inaccuracy is on the internet and Corvette web sites.

Personally, I agree with Hib's comments. I'm really tired of seeing people publish that the 1990 ZR-1 came out with 385 hp. It is such a common inaccuracy, it's not even funny. It takes two seconds for a journalist to either hop on this web site, or the ZR-1 Net and quickly acquire the correct information.

Unfortunately, quality, accuracy and editorial review are not high priorities for some magazines.

If a magazine is going to downplay the quality of information found on Corvette web sites, then they damn well better make sure that the information they're publishing is gospel and not rubbish.

Kettle....black?

Hib, I have always enjoyed reading your stuff - esp. the 1990's Corvette articles you wrote :cool

I don't know you from a hole in the wall - but recognize your writings, Absolutely!

BTW, I am extremely partial to Corvette_Enthusiast ;)

Maybe they are purposely making these errors so people will buy their publications just to find the errors and then ***** about it!! ;) Inaccurate reporting gets alot more attention then accurate reporting. (If you don't believe that then ask Dan Rather about his report on Bush's Service time!!) I don't disagree that the facts should be accurate but Geez--we went to war with half the damn world at one time or another based on inaccurate information and sublime errors in statistics.

I would think that we as Corvette buyers don't purchase a new one based on a magazine article. I would think that we do our research from several sources and when there is a blatant error the truth is sought out and the truth is found. (Yes the Truth is out there!) It would be great if everytime we picked up a magazine or paper that every article is reported completely accurate and correct but I doubt that will ever happen. It is great to have a website such as this to inform everyone of these errors and correct the correctable. Sometimes though I wonder where the corrected info comes from and how accurate it is. Just a thought while I am digesting my turkey sandwich!!

Randy:w

warren s said:
Hib-

What Corvette publication do you like?
Right now, I like Corvette Enthusiast the best--that's based on looking at the three most recent issues, which I picked up at the SEMA Show. Of course, I'm also partial to Hemmings Muscle Machines, for which I do a monthly column, but, admittedly, HMM is not a Corvette Magazine per se because it covers the whole gambit of American performance cars including Corvette.

Hib Halverson said:
Right now, I like Corvette Enthusiast the best--that's based on looking at the three most recent issues, which I picked up at the SEMA Show. Of course, I'm also partial to Hemmings Muscle Machines, for which I do a monthly column, but, admittedly, HMM is not a Corvette Magazine per se because it covers the whole gambit of American performance cars including Corvfette.
Nice touch.......;LOL ;LOL

Hib Halverson said:

The new issue has two articles relating to ZR1s. In the first, a feature on a 92, incorrectly states the engine's rated power is 385-hp---it's actually 375. The same story says 94 ZR-1s were painted Turquoise in 90 and 91. Actually it was 110.

The second article on the 24-hr endurance Record Run set by a ZR-1 in 1990 states the test track where the Record was set was in Arizona. Not. It was hundreds of miles east of there in Texas---Ft. Stockton to be exact.

The reason I obtained the current issue of Vette, was I responded to one of those subscription promos offering a free issue, figuring that maybe the magazine had gotten better in the last year or so. Apparently it hasn't.

The article about the turquoise car had a ton of numbers/facts/statistics in the first 3 paragraphs. It is obvious they looked up the numbers because are all the others are correct. Even the 94 built number is obviously looked up, because that is the number built in 1991... so, it seems fairly obvious to me they just forgot to add 1990's numbers in.

To call a magazine a "pillar of inaccuracy", I would think at least a good portion of what they reported would be inaccurate... when in fact they seem to be doing a decent job. No one is perfect.

Will the real Hib please stand up? I just purchased some old vette magazines on ebay (1988-90 vintage) and just realized you are one of the article writers. Your sure have been involved with vettes for a long time. Sure glad you are an active member on this forum.

i always say, believe half of what you hear & three quarters of what you see, because of articles like these...unfortunatly.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom