Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Waitin' for the tow truck blues

Sittin on the side of the road

Shouldn't be anythingb wrong with it. Good Luck.

Walter:mad

:upthumbs XKR8;Yes, starter was replaced.Glad to hear everything is ok and glad you get to drive your beauty. It is snow and ice here started mine up today let it run maybe 1/2 hour while I salted and plowed 1/2 mile driveway,keeps me busy.Would rather be in the Gulf Coast area,enjoy!

I still say it's low charge on the batt. Being that it's 5yrs old I would replace the batt. I would bet good money this will fix your problem.

Don't let your mech talk you in to a starter change just yet. After replacing your batt if you get the same thing later on, just tap the starter with a wrench on the end without the terminals while someone turn the ignitin key and you should be able to get to your local mech for repalcement at that time. Or if it's a 6 speed manual you could pop the clutch to get you going.

I'll bet a hamburger it's just the batt though.

Joy! Joy! I picked her up this afternoon. What a reunion - we missed each other! :D

Kevin replaced the Anti-theft relay which was what kept her from cranking and he dried out the relay box beneath the dash on the passenger side because it had moisture in it. He also replaced the battery for me and vacced and dried the passenger side carpet which was wet.

As for the wet carpet and leak... that remains to be seen. Brian removed, replaced silicon caulk backing, and then replaced gaskets in my presence a few weeks ago after I discovered leaks on the top he replaced last Fall. He told me if I had anymore problems with it to bring it back so I will, but I couldn't today.

I'm convinced the whole issue started in the wee hours Tuesday morning while my car was parked in the wide open parking lot at work broadsided to a horrible storm that blew in a horizontal rain and we were under tornado warning for several hours. Apparently Brian and I missed another spot and it migrated someplace under the dash and the relay box.

Just a matter of tracking it down.

I have to say that I'm really fortunate to have some great people working with me on my Corvette. Both men were highly recommended to me by a fellow Corvette enthusiast I know. Brian did what he promised for the amount promised in even less time than promised - and dropped everything to give it further attention when I returned with an issue. And in 7 years Kevin and Chris haven't steered me wrong yet.

Thanks for holding my hand through this y'all. ;)
:w Jane Ann

OK I see what he did.

He replaced the batt being that it was old and reading below a level at which it would under normal circumstances. He probably did quick load test and it either marginaly passed or marginally failed.

He then must have connected the scan tool into the diagnostic port. He then querried the various control modules namely the body control module. It came back with an open on the theft deterent relay. That relay does control power to the starter. If that relay doesn't make it will not start even if you have a good batt.

As far as labor charge the Batt is easy to take out and install and the relay is located in the footwell on the pax side jsut underneath the dash and is just a matter of taking out the floor matt and the relay cover (at least it is located there on a 2002 vette). Check on the labor charge if all seems reasonable then I'de say he did not rip you off and it was probably a good fix. Hope it works for you.

Matt

I reserve the right to be way the f**K off :D

Glad everything worked out well.

-Mac

Boy, you sure do have some good guys workin' on your Vette!

Nice to have a Happy Ending every now and then.

SAVE THE :w

When the battery is changed you'll have to reprogram the Fob so you won't know if the Fob could have been the problem, best put new batteries in that also.

I changed battery in my '04 yesterday the the fob worked fine without reprograming. The car had been sitting at least three weeks with no battery in it but the programing for the fob, seat, radio, etc. were all fine.

Kevin

Quick reply - waiting on a friend to pick me up to go after my Vette.

I neglected to mention there was water on passenger floorboard, but I had attributed it to a terrible storm wee hours Tuesday a.m. including horizontal rain and tornado warnings.

Kevin said the relay box under the passenger dash was wet and the Anti-theft relay was shorted out. He replaced it and dried the box.

At least it wasn't the wiring harness, which I was very nervous about given past battery leak issues from a couple years ago. I was afraid it had finally caught up with me - if there is such a possibility.

So I'm off to pick her up. New battery, new Anti-theft relay and labor for $260

oopps- gotta go.....

I have been following your post for the past few days and I’m glad it turns out to be as simple. I just want to bring something to your attention you may want to check. The passenger floorboard should not be wet for any kind of storm. What we have seen often is a clogged AC drain. I made a few search on Mississippi gulf weather and I found 53F so I do not think you are using AC. However, this is something you may have verified. I just find strange that heavy rain will have got into your car. This is not supposed to.

more info http://pages.infinit.net/vette747/ACDrain

I have been following your post for the past few days and I’m glad it turns out to be as simple. I just want to bring something to your attention you may want to check. The passenger floorboard should not be wet for any kind of storm. What we have seen often is a clogged AC drain. I made a few search on Mississippi gulf weather and I found 53F so I do not think you are using AC. However, this is something you may have verified. I just find strange that heavy rain will have got into your car. This is not supposed to.

more info [URL="http://pages.infinit.net/vette747/ACDrain"]http://pages.infinit.net/vette747/ACDrain[/URL]

Good point - I'll have that checked too.

Thanks!!
Jane Ann

I thought about the AC drain also, but I gotta tell ya, I have a 2001 coupe and if I parked in a bad storm with horizontal rain, mine would take water on the passenger side also. Looks to me as if the previous owner or dealer had the recommended silicone blob on the window clip done so I never played with it. Takes afew drops when I wash it (not enough to even make it down the inside of the window to the liner) and no water when you drive it (no matter how hard the rain is...just when parked).

I thought about the AC drain also, but I gotta tell ya, I have a 2001 coupe and if I parked in a bad storm with horizontal rain, mine would take water on the passenger side also.

I know in heavy rain, especially horizontal rain mine would have some water issues :confused as well; I got to think most if not all C-5's have some leaks.

Anyway Jane Ann I am glad it wasn't too serious and your back on the road. May you have no more problems and nothing but sun shine in your life.
Bill :w

I know in heavy rain, especially horizontal rain mine would have some water issues :confused as well; I got to think most if not all C-5's have some leaks.

Anyway Jane Ann I am glad it wasn't too serious and your back on the road. May you have no more problems and nothing but sun shine in your life.

Thanks, Bill... and the same to you!

Thanks, Bill... and the same to you!

Wish I could make it to the CAC Cruise Fest this year in Colorado but I am afraid I have about every day of my summer spoken for. The biggy this year is my daughters wedding, a trip to NYC, and another one to TN. Lot of work to do on the house to sell it, and plans to build the garage with a house attached. Sure would love driving :Steer the roads of Colorado but just not fiesible this year. Half the fun has to be the trip out there. Sure looking forward to the stories afterwards on the forum.

Take care,

..... a trip to NYC, and another one to TN. .... Sure would love driving :Steer the roads of Colorado but just not fiesible this year....

Bill, if you're planning a trip to TN... you HAVE to make a sidetrip for a Tail of the Dragon run! Talk about an awesome road! You can get more info about the section of Highway 129 referred to as the Dragon here in the SE region section click. And checkout www.tailofthedragon.com too.

Bill, if you're planning a trip to TN... you HAVE to make a sidetrip for a Tail of the Dragon run! Talk about an awesome road! You can get more info about the section of Highway 129 referred to as the Dragon here in the SE region section click. And checkout www.tailofthedragon.com too.

I won't be in TN until somtime late August, or even early September yet I am sorry to say. Would like to make "Tail of the Dragon" one of these days for sure. I will look at the web site anyway.

Thanks,

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom