Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Water Leak - 1968

Gary68

Corvette
1968 Coupe
Hi. I am currently restoring my 68. New carpeting and weatherstripping are just part of the restoration. I have had the car for 35 years. Before I had a garage to store it in it was stored outside in the driveway. However, when it rained, I ended up with water under both seats. Not the floor in front of the seats nor behind the seats, just under the seats. I am hoping that the new weatherstripping takes care of the problem but I would have thought I would have seen evidence of water elsewhere. Any ideas and/or thoughts? It was never in an accident.

Gary,

Welcome to the :CAC

While I don't have a C3, I can suggest the following for any C1-C2-or C3 that is stored outside for an extended period of time. Punch holes in the plastic/rubber floor plugs. I wouldn't remove them completely, as that might allow small pests to get in, but a tiny hole will allow water that gets in to drain out.

:beer

Gary,

Welcome to the :CAC

While I don't have a C3, I can suggest the following for any C1-C2-or C3 that is stored outside for an extended period of time. Punch holes in the plastic/rubber floor plugs. I wouldn't remove them completely, as that might allow small pests to get in, but a tiny hole will allow water that gets in to drain out.

:beer
Hi, do you have any idea of how the water is getting into the car and under the seats? No other evidence but the water under the seats. I have had a garage for it for the last 30 years.

Gary,

My experience is limited to C2 Corvettes, but I'd guess that checking under the windshield and around the kickpads might reveal some rust where water has been getting in. There is a metal birdcage, under the fibreglass, surrounding the passenger compartment.

Someone with C3 experience will be along soon.

:w

leaks

Hi Gary go to the very bottom, on a previous reply, the second paragraph
t top water leak solutions, 2nd line, from Heidi # 7, this may help. wayne. And Garson
# 10

Cowl or windshield area leaks would pool water in the footwells; leaks around the rear of the door glasses would pool water behind the seats, both places designated by the shape of the underbody.

Water under the seats could indicate a leak along the top of the door glasses (would also probably drip on your shoulder), or t-top weatherstripping.

:)

I know on the later C3 cars if you lift the hood and look on each side there are plastic mesh screens that fit between the firewall and the inside rear of the fenders near the windshield wiper posts . Now if you follow the gap between the fender and the door down to the under body of the car and look there you may find a black rubber nipple about ¾” in diameter and about 1 ½” in length. If your car is equipped with them this is the drain plug for the engine cowl area and they are most likely plugged up. Take a piece of coat hanger and punch out the center of the rubber plug, if equipped you will find that there was already a crosscut opening in the drain plug. It may be that this drain plug if equipped is full of trash or mud not allowing water to escape out and there is a seam in the body that allows water to run along the floor or follow under kick panel and then under the door sill plate to the floor area.
My car has always been covered when not driving it since I purchased it back in 1982. I pulled the plastic mesh screens one day and just for kicks put a small diameter vacuum cleaner hose down each side, I was very surprised what kind of debris came out of there. Old parts of leaves, pine needles, pieces of insulation, dirt etc.
Here is a link on e-bay of what the plastic mesh screens look like:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORV...oryZ6763QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
Hope this helps,
Brian

Tops are notorious for leaking. Dry it out, turn the heater blower on high with everything closed up, and spray it down with soapy water and watch for it to blow bubbles.

Or ignore it and if anyone asks, just tell them it's a 140 MPH swimming pool;LOL

on my 79 the water would puddle up in the kick panel area where the body mount is. it would channel down the side and exit further back under the seat. all you could see is a small drip on the side of the floor where it rises up where the seal plate goes. hope you understand my explanation, i reread it a couple of times and dont know if i understand it.:D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom