Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: What am I in store for, vette noob here

vetteman741

Corvette
1998 blk/oak auto
My first, finally after 30 years of wanting a vette I plan to buy a 98 coupe this month blk/oak auto, has 100K+ miles, one owner (factory build pics/NCM delivery with pics) full service history with a "claimed :ugh" Chevy dealer replaced or rebuilt engine at 50K mark. Still waiting on doc that proves engine was replaced. Was claimed it was replaced because of oil usage was intollerable

I have been working on all my cars for 20+years but am new to vettes, not chevys

Stuff I noticed wrong:
both front signal bulbs are out, one floating around in lens
seller says steering gets stiff some times and PS system needs burped
pass side mirror glass is cracked
Balancer may be wobbling-cant tell-looks the same as other car with 59K miles on it and running-may be just shadows

I forgot to look at headlight operation:duh
has both tops
climate control
Mobile 1 dealer oil change records seem legit
seats are great condition-does the back recline via power like it slides or is recline a lever thing?
exhaust is original-what is expected mileage for this to last?
keep forgetting to look and see if it is a Z51-what else is susp codes?
tires are new Mich pilot sport A/S plus non run flat:thumb-what type of fix a flat should I carry?
looks like exhaust manifold shields are gone-is this common and are wires long enough to get burned?
car makes no valve noise or exhaust leaks when it is started cold
I have not seen any leaks yet
are the holes under the front signal lights in front facia supposed to be ducts for brakes?
looks like it still has red coolant, i will swap to green later based on my own experience
Is the fuel pump replacement process hard, just wondering if I have to drop more than the tank

paint is decent but far from perfect, one spider crack on upper rear pass side quarter panel

Should I change dexron3 from tranny when I get it if I see no history of fluid change;shrug

Anything very bad that I should be looking for-I have a code scanner to see if there are any codes stored and to watch live data while driving

Thanks in advance!!

Welcome.
You are buying a 100K auto. The items you list would not be uncommon for such a vehicle.
The front lights you mention not working, are they the DRL (daytime running lights)? If so, the previous driver may have pulled the fuse for them...many do this. If not, they are not that hard to change, just tedious...you have to remove the access panels on the underside of the bumper.
The steering issue sounds like it could be the rack & pinion unit...bad news, big bucks. If it's the power steering pump, that's only slightly better news...still pricey.
The balancer could be an issue too. OEM units last about 50K on the earlier C5s, and you have a lot of labor to change one. If the engine was rebuilt at 50k, I'd bet they replaced it with an OEM unit. Be prepared to pull the engine again.
I'd have these two big issues looked at before you buy.
The exhaust is probably going to need replacing, not a big deal. Lots of good aftermarket sets available.
As for the coolant, always use the DexCool (red) for the Vette.
Fuel pump replacement is a bitch...you have to drop the tanks. I had to have the sending unit replaced in my 99 a few years ago, and it was almost $1K ($650 was labor).
I have Michelins on mine and I only carry a plug kit & a small compressor. I also have a cell phone & AAA card. Don't use any flat fix stuff, or you will ruin the TPMS, and they are about $150-185 each for the 97-99 years.
The holes in the bumper are indeed for air circulation.
You probably should change the tranny oil, I doubt that it's been done.

I'm torn

mallett99-thanks for the reply

Are you saying the motor will need removed to change the balancer, Ive heard is sucks to change but not that bad.

I have not been able to find anything else in my price range and as I mentioned I am a quite capable mechanic so the steering parts are not a big deal as long as I do not have to remove the engine to change the rack and pinion.

Does anybody know if the steering rack can be dropped without major complications?:eek:hnoes

Thank you very much

I was told today from a vette mechanic at chevy dealer the rack is a 2.8 hour job which does not require dropping the cradle:beer

I hope this is the case

Vetteman,

I'm curious. Are you getting such a SUPER deal on this car that you've not considered buying one that doesn't need so much work?

C5s are going for pretty reasonable prices these days. Just bought Judy a VERY nice, 2002, 40k mile convertible for $23k that needs NOTHING.

You might want to consider looking around a bit. I know how it is when you have your heart set on something but you might just find an even better car for you. You know?

Just a thought.

Jim

Vetteman,

I'm curious. Are you getting such a SUPER deal on this car that you've not considered buying one that doesn't need so much work?

C5s are going for pretty reasonable prices these days. Just bought Judy a VERY nice, 2002, 40k mile convertible for $23k that needs NOTHING.

You might want to consider looking around a bit. I know how it is when you have your heart set on something but you might just find an even better car for you. You know?

Just a thought.

Jim

Without knowing any details of Vetteman's deal, I'd agree with what Jim wrote. It is a buyer's market now, BIG TIME! Here in northen Califrnia, low mileage Vettes are everywhere and very reasonably priced, so they may be elsewhere, too.

Or, maybe Vetteman likes working on cars and wants some fun working on a new-to-him Vette? There are worse ways to spend your time! ;shrug

What might you be paying for that car? I mean its not a bad car but I have to tell ya, there are a lotta very good condition ones out there for not a lot of money.

Before jumping into replacing the R&P, I'd be for sucking out as much PS fluid as you can and replace with Lucas PS Fluid and trying it. GMJunkie swears by it. I'll see if I can find the thread where he discusses the process. 100K is not that much on these cars. If it's the one you want and in your price range, I would not be afraid of it.

Before jumping into replacing the R&P, I'd be for sucking out as much PS fluid as you can and replace with Lucas PS Fluid and trying it. GMJunkie swears by it. I'll see if I can find the thread where he discusses the process. 100K is not that much on these cars. If it's the one you want and in your price range, I would not be afraid of it.

TOMS01--I would love to see that thread, please:thumb

Everyone else: buyers market is right, If I had 23K I could buy a Z06 around here (Chicago area), I got mine for half that.

To say I love working on my new-2-me Vette will be an understatement, buying parts will be the hard part (for my wallet).

I can't wait for the stupid rain to quit so I can drive with the Targa out

This car was babied and has dozens of GM service records so I am very happy with my purchase.

Thanks for all the info, people!! :beer

vetteman741, I didn't find the complete thread, but I found a quote from GMJunkie that he explains what to do.

Originally Posted by GMJunkie
With front of car raised,I remove the return line off the reservoir and plug reservoir with a rubber plug!
1. Put the end of the line in a bucket!!(Secure so it won't jump out of the bucket!!)
2.Have helper start car and turn wheels Lt to Rt several times while you pour fresh fluid through the reservoir!! (about 2-3 qt's!!)
3.Shut off car and re-connect return line!!
4. Add 6 oz (1/2 of 12 oz bottle) Lucas Power steering stop leak and conditioner, top off with fresh fluid to add line!!http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...tid=2&loc=show

5.Start car and turn wheels lock to lock several times to purge air out of system while adding fresh fluid!! (Do Not Over fill!!)
6.Lower vehicle,Check fluid and drive vehicle around the block each direction a couple times and recheck fluid level and top off if needed!!:thumb

Restored smooth power steering operation are usually Immediate,but can take a few miles depending on severity!!:thumb:thumb

Also, I wanted to say that you can expect a huge grin every time you drive it. :D

Your original question was "what should I expect?" My response is miles and miles of smiles... with an occasional shit eating grin!!!

:w

I had the pleasure of waving back to two other drivers of Corvettes on my way home, I had no idea Corvette owners did that, your secret is safe with me. Glad to wave to you all

I love it when the motorcycle riders give me a nod too.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D------This is ME! and I can't help it:beer

My wife is already jealous:duh

Look for my wave

Oh yeah, to the owner of the SRT8 Charger I passed (and then he got on my bumper), what's the matter, can't keep up in the twisty back roads?:boogie

There are no exhaust manifold shields on a '98. They have double walled stainless steel manifolds. Only the later cast manifolds have the GM shields.

There are no exhaust manifold shields on a '98. They have double walled stainless steel manifolds. Only the later cast manifolds have the GM shields.

All the ones I looked at, I was beginning to suspect as much, thank you for the verification.:beer

Double wall stainless....cool!:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom