Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What gas brand is favored for Vettes?

BulletTime

Corvette
2000 Sebring Silver 6-spd
Just as Mobil 1 is the preferred oil for C5s, I'm wondering if there is a frontrunner in gas brands among owners. I will only use the highest octane regardless, but is there a detergent (or otherwise beneficial) gasoline that keeps the engine at peak performance? Mobil-Shell-bp-Speedway-Clark-other?

Ever since I purchased my '79 new, I have used Shell, ARCO (no longer in our area) Mobil and Amoco (now BP-Amoco). Never had any trouble with any of them. I now use the new Shell V-Power premium. Also use Shell in my Saab 9-3 daily driver.

Nothing but Sunoco in my '71 LT-1. They had 94 octane a couple years back, but their highest rated octane seems to have dropped to 93.

I've tried Mobil (93 octane) before, but my car knocks on it, and sometimes it'll keep running for a few seconds after shut I it off.

I've been told recently that there's a couple of stations in my area that now carry racing fuel, so I'll be giving that a try this Spring.

I use Chevron premium in my Z06. Some of the brands (eg Sunoco) are not available in Boise.

Chevron mostly, Exxon occasionally, BP, and never Shell. Look up the class action suits filed against Shell. They blew it for me for at least a while. Could it have something to do with the "V Power" ad bombardment that Shell has been doing lately?

I don't really find my stock Z to favor any particular brand. It is only a high compression engine by today's standards. Certainly not when compared to the real muscle cars that became popular when I was just a young sprout.

My biggest gasoline problem right now is whether to burn it in the ZO6 or the Harley this weekend. Or maybe just do it in both....:D :D :D

BulletTime said:
Just as Mobil 1 is the preferred oil for C5s, I'm wondering if there is a frontrunner in gas brands among owners. I will only use the highest octane regardless, but is there a detergent (or otherwise beneficial) gasoline that keeps the engine at peak performance? Mobil-Shell-bp-Speedway-Clark-other?

BulletTime, HERE'S an article about gasoline from Hib Halverson that contains some useful information, although no specifics as to brand names.

The consensus opinion from Corvette owners comes to a few basics:

1. Look for brands that include Techron. Obviously, Chevron has it, but Chevron isn't available in all areas. (Here in Colorado, Chevron was bought out of the market by Amoco.) I use Shell (with V-power, their name for the Techron additive). I've heard that in various parts of the country, Sunnoco and Amoco will add Techron, too.

2. Don't go buying gas from a retailer like WalMart or Costco, or even this new trend of supermarkets which sell gas. They buy their gas from the lowest cost supplier at the time of purchase. Sometimes it may be Chevron, sometimes Citgo, sometimes others. Thus, the consitency and quality of the gasoline will vary.

3. If you see a truck delivering gas at station, even your regular "branded" gas station, don't buy it right then. Adding the gas to the storage tank from the trunk will stir up the dirt and sediments from the bottom of the tank, and that will be suspended in the gas for a time, meaning it will make it into your gas tank if you refuel right then. Wait about a half an hour to an hour to allow those sediments to settle back down to the bottom of the tank.

Hope this helps!
:w
-Patrick

I have always run amoco, or now BP. I haven't seen any problems arise with my car. I did find that when I had to fill up at a different station, the car ran worse. I think I had to stop at a mobile station once. Never do that again. However I use the chevron techron additive, probably once a year.

Craig

Fuels are formulated differently per region, so I think it really depends upon where you are. When I lived in New England, Sunoco was the preferred fuel. Since it isn't sold in CA, I use Chevron (or Arco, if I have to). Chevron is also reported to inhibit the infamous "C5 fuel gauge" problem (though I can't speak from first-hand experience on that, since I've never had a problem).

I have noticed that my Vette runs the best using Chevron. I have noticed it picks up better and runs better. Chevron is also a top tier gas tested by GM.

I've had the dreaded fuel gage problem and I don't want it back. It's Shell Premium for me and an occasional dose of Techron.

Using Chevron mostly ... if not available when I need to pump gas ... Shell. Also every 3 or 4 fillups, I put in a bottle of fuel injector cleaner. This is just my own ritual, ever since I had Sunshine ... she gets a bottler of injector cleaner on a regualr basis and also a doze of racing fuel mixed with 93 octane ... just once in a while because at $12.95 a gallon, it take it's toll :( ... but the engine just runs and performs so much better. My check engine light does come on when it detects the racing fuel in the intake system... but it goes away after the sensor gets used to it and acknowledged the new fuel. :D

Anyways ... I find Chevron, Shell and most name brands like Exxon, Mobil, BP, Texaco and Citgo works good on vettes ... to play it safe, use a gas treatment with techron once in a while to achieve optimum performance.

f2bf.jpg

Dan :w

Hi To All,
Here in NYS, the eco-fascists have banned Sunoco 94. That was my 1st favorite. I now use Sunoco-93. It was recommended by the dealer. I noticed the gas guage problem with Mobil-93. I have not had thet problem with Hess-93 nor Citgo-93. So I use , in this order, Sunoco, Hess, Citgo,...,...,...,...,...,...,..., Mobil.

Don't forget the StaBil if it is going to be parked for a while.

In NJ Sonoco Ultra is still 94 octane so that is my first choice,next is BP 93(American,still like this name better) and then Hess 93 and have used Wawa 93 too. If I am correct the car does require 91 octane but again in NJ it is 87-89-then the super. So far no problems at 5k

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom