Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What job do we C4 owners have?

I have NO idea of whence you speak. ;shrug

Thanks Ken

Ken said:
Now I make you look like you're the crazy one, eh Mike? :L

(I deleted the extra post.) ;)

Actually, I was trying to figure out how to delete the extra post with the misspelled word so I wouldn't look too illiterate. Oh well, thanks for the help.

CNC Machines & Programming

Vin357 said:
I run a CNC Machine shop, we make parts for short track race cars, aftermarket harley and tier 3 automotive.

Vin357, CNC was used to be my trade... I loved the technology when I was fresh from college. Still I adore CNC. I was used to program CNC lathes and machining centers (up to 5 axis) for single cylinder engine parts as well as for jet engine rotating / stationary parts. I did a lot of manual as well as APT (Automatic Tool Path) programming. This was back in 1980 - 1988 period.

Later I got promoted to management positions and had to leave the machine shop environment. I still miss the machines and parts business where I could walk to a CNC machine, program it, proof run the program, optimize it, and then just watch how the parts flow out of the machines... Oh good old days :)

Cheers,

Selim :w

I'm a Professional Firefighter-Paramedic for a City here in Florida. I also work part time as a NASCAR Firefighter. I'm usually in the pits. This last Bud Shootout I was in Joe Nemecheck's pit. I'll know Sunday morning who's pit I'll be in for the 500. :D I'm also working the IROC and Truck race.

Two photos of me at the office the first is 1971 the second 2001. What a difference 30 years makes! Or does it? In both photos the guy on the left has less hair than me and is much better at what we do than I am. Way back in Military school I learned to hang out with the best and hope some of it rubs off on.

5541A_day_at_the_office.jpg

SSTibet
Its fun when I see things we've made running around the race track, or on a custom harley. I've pointed out some of the parts we made on television shows to my kids, thats cool.
Dealing with employees is what stinks, absenteeism, and aditudes!
It was a lot easier when I just had to make things!

You might remember paper-tape and flex-writers, I don't miss the days of tape-readers and miles of punched tape!

Vin357 said:
SSTibet
Its fun when I see things we've made running around the race track, or on a custom harley. I've pointed out some of the parts we made on television shows to my kids, thats cool.

You might remember paper-tape and flex-writers, I don't miss the days of tape-readers and miles of punched tape!

Oh how can I forget the paper tapes; pale yellow tapes... Then came around the "Mylar" tape that did not break... That was a huge leap in itself :L . Well there was still no alternative to Mylar at the time I stopped programming. Now they have DNC connecting programmers to the machines without any intermediaries... And much more of course such as computer simulation and stuff. The only simulator I had at the time was an HP plotter, plotting hundreds of lines on an A3 size paper and me trying to figure if the cutter was doing the right thing :L . Hey, under such circumstances I programmed jet engine parts with 0.002" of tolerance and I am proud of what I have done.

Working with people is the same all around the world. Maybe you can offer them company shares or a bonus plan to draw their attention to improve attendance, work discipline, efficiency, creativity and therefore profits?

Vin357 said:
SSTibet

My first CNC job was WEDM when the Computer had only 64megs of ram and didnt even have a HDD ;LOL those tapes I remember well. I really enjoyed programming VMC's and operating them I miss that the most when I retired from GM.
The company I work for now has a small (10 man) toolroom and is very backwards the dies belong in a museam and the Supervisor and Engineer are stuck back in the 1940's . It is close to home and pays better then Walmart for an old retired guy like me.;LOL

I work in a small company that builds pan washers for bakerys. I program and opperate an old Monarc VMC [1977 vintage] and a Yang CNC lathe making inhouse parts. The VMC has an emulator PC on it so we don't have to use the tape reader. Had to learn it all on my own, no schooling. So that in mind my programs are quite simple. The pay isn't all that good but the cost of living in this area is much less than most place. Also jobs are at a preimum. I have a house that is paid for and no childeren at home so like my wife said "It is your turn." :) What a gal. We sold the 98 Rivera and bought the vet last summer. That is one of the great things about the C4 you don't have to be "rich" to own one.

:w

Folks, there are quite a few of us here that have CNC in their past. The best CNC equipment I have seen so far was a slant bed lathe with two turrets from Mazak (Japanese) with a Mazatrol controller / programmer. I could define part geometry rigth on the machine, select the tools and define sequence of operations. It would simulate on the controller exact cutting paths of the tools and once you were happy with it you could start cutting chips. We found it was a stupid thing we did not buy a chip conveyor, which was optional equipment. Poor operator had to clean the chips half the time... It was a very friendly piece of equipment with a lot of efficiency built into it. With no electronics experience I could troubleshoot and pin point a defective PCB just by following on-screen instructions.

One year after we comissioned the lathe a minute scratch appeared on its slideway. Believe it or not, Japs replaced the whole machine with a new one... No wonder the same company sold hundreds more CNC machines to Turkey. They are still among the best known here.

Cheers,

Selim

my job?

I drive a tractor trailer for Conway Central Express (CCX).
REMEMBER: Without trucks we'd all be naked, hungry and homless!

Telecine colorist. I transfer motion picture film to video tape. Now in High Defenition. Love the old movies the most. The new ones are all re-makes of the best old ones.

I've done everything from training horses to owning a construction company. Currently a Construction Superintendent specializing in financial and medical buildings with a sideline as a firearms instructor. And I won't bore you with my education.

Rob

TriTown said:
I drive a tractor trailer for Conway Central Express (CCX).
REMEMBER: Without trucks we'd all be naked, hungry and homless!

Not to mention most of us would be without our rides.:)

:w

Im a partner in an architectural firm,designing shopping centers and highrise apartments

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom