Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What tires are you running and why?

What tire are you running?

• Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Votes: 34 21.1%
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar

Votes: 30 18.6%
  • Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3

Votes: 19 11.8%
  • Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval

Votes: 18 11.2%
  • BF Goodrich gForce KDW-2

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Pirelli PZero Rosso

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Yokohama ADVAN Sport

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Kumho Ecsta MX

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Nitto 555RII

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Other Tire

Votes: 31 19.3%
  • Other Racing Tire

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters

toomuchtorque

Corvette
2002 Black Z06
Hey guys. I bought my 02 Z06 last November and am now looking for tires. This car has about 430 rwhp, so I'm thinking of running 275s in the front and 315/30/18s in the rear (on stock rims), to manage the extra power. My biggest concerns are tread life and cornering ability (for the canyons).

What tire do you think provides the best balance of treadwear, handling, and cost? Does anybody know if the larger tires will have any adverse effects on cornering? I'm willing to spend up to around 1,300, but I would prefer to spend less.

Also, has anybody tried the Firehawk Wide Ovals? Their super low price makes them so temping...

Thanks a lot!

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

Based on the recommendation of my tire dealer.

s'noJob

I've got the Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals on mine. The tires came with the car, so I can't offer a comparison comments, but I have no complaints about them either.

I run BFG's Comp T/A KDW's on all my cars, my Z has the KDW2's on it. I find that they are better on wet surfaces, they give better ride, grip better on corners and they are quieter. Of course this all my opinion. I drove the Z to California and back a couple years ago and loved it. :Steer:pat

Hey guys. I bought my 02 Z06 last November and am now looking for tires. This car has about 430 rwhp, so I'm thinking of running 275s in the front and 315/30/18s in the rear (on stock rims), to manage the extra power. My biggest concerns are tread life and cornering ability (for the canyons).

What tire do you think provides the best balance of treadwear, handling, and cost? Does anybody know if the larger tires will have any adverse effects on cornering? I'm willing to spend up to around 1,300, but I would prefer to spend less.

Also, has anybody tried the Firehawk Wide Ovals? They're super low price makes them so temping...

Thanks a lot!

I run Wide Ovals for everyday driving and road trips. I swith to GY SCs for autocross and track events. The Wide Ovals are much better in rain (and rare snow) and are quieter but definitely don't stick as well as the SCs. I wouldn't hesitate to buy Wide Ovals again but if you truly want to compete, you need a stickier tire. I run stock sizes.

I installed Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's. They ride alot quieter and smoother in my opinion than the OEM Good Year's. I upgraded my wheels to 18" and 19" running 275/35x18 front and 305/30x19 rear. No problems with clearance and I lowered mine using the stock bolts. Corners like a slot car.

I run the Kumho MX tires because a friend was selling his z06 repros with almost new Kumhos for $600. My Gy GS-D3s were all worn out and would have cost over $1200 to replace.:)

I've got the Firestone Firehawk Wide Ovals on mine. The tires came with the car, so I can't offer a comparison comments, but I have no complaints about them either.
Thats what I run on my Z06,I run Kumho ASX all-seasons on my 03 Z-51!! I have no complaints on either,They beat the Heck out of the stock Goodyear!! I have over 34,000 miles on the Kumho's on the 03 and it don't Rumble,Rides Smooth,Don't Hydroplane and I can hear the Stereo!!!:boogie:boogie:boogie:upthumbs

BF Goodrich g/Force KDW-2's

Hey guys,

I'm not a Z06 owner but mine is pretty fast just the same. I went with the KDW-2's for a variety of reasons. They're quieter than the Goodyears, they stick like crazy, they work very well in wet conditions, many sizes to choose from and they're priced right. I've got about 6k on them now and they're terrific.
Remo:cool

bfg_gforce_ta_kdw2_ci2_l.jpg

Hey guys,

I'm not a Z06 owner but mine is pretty fast just the same. I went with the KDW-2's for a variety of reasons. They're quieter than the Goodyears, they stick like crazy, they work very well in wet conditions, many sizes to choose from and they're priced right. I've got about 6k on them now and they're terrific.

Hey how wide are your rims and what size are the tires? With 450 to the wheels, I'm guessing you've got significantly wider rims and tires...

Hey how wide are your rims and what size are the tires? With 450 to the wheels, I'm guessing you've got significantly wider rims and tires...

Front wheels are 18x9.5 and rears are 18x10.5. Tires are 265/40 front and 285/40 rear.

Largest rubber

Front wheels are 18x9.5 and rears are 18x10.5. Tires are 265/40 front and 285/40 rear.

Whats the largest tires I can put on my 04 Z06 ?? Looking for a a little more height and definetly width !!!. Currently running an old set of Firestones that need to be replaced !!

Whats the largest tires I can put on my 04 Z06 ?? Looking for a a little more height and definetly width !!!. Currently running an old set of Firestones that need to be replaced !!

offshore241,

I'm not an authority on this subject, but I know that many C5 guys run 305's on 10.5" wide rims. Once you get wider than that you have to be careful about rubbing issues on the inside. But as I say there's lot's of guys running 305/35/18's without problems.

Wow Remo, and you have no traction problems in first or even second gear with stock size tires?

Actually they're a little wider than stock C5 sizes. 245 stock to now 265 on the front. And on the rear stock was 275 and I went with 285. The KDW's are so much softer than GY Runflats that it's actually a big improvement in terms of traction. And yes I can light up tires....but it's all matter of self control.:chuckle

I have used the Toyo T1S and the RA1's then switched to the GY D3's. Unless I change the wheels I plan to stay with the original SC's for now on. The SC's get a lot of crap about wet traction which is interesting. I did the high performance driving school by Proformance Racing at Pacific Raceways in the rain. Chief Instructor Don Kitch (Daytona 24hr winner) said learning to drive in the rain is the hardest and actually better learning environment. I did it with the SC's on and it was great. I bet I am one of the very few to even attempt it too. I love the SC's and think from the looks dept too no one comes close to them either.

ZR-1 size on my 93 LT1. I run BFG KD cause they are good, very good. And the other options for the rear 315/35/17 isnt very good.

Tires

I'm running the original type Goodyear runflat tires because they were on the car at the time of purchase. From the looks of them, the previous owner must have bought them fairly recently, but I really don't like them. Traction isn't really a problem for me but they're extremely loud at freeway speeds. This car is louder (from the tires) than my old C4 with a worn out 18 year old Borla exhaust sytem and non run-flat GY's. I'm thinking seriously about replacing the GY's with something quieter, but I really hate to give up the "run-flat" capability. This is a great thread.........thanks for the info guys.

Dennis

I have used the Toyo T1S and the RA1's then switched to the GY D3's. Unless I change the wheels I plan to stay with the original SC's for now on. The SC's get a lot of crap about wet traction which is interesting. I did the high performance driving school by Proformance Racing at Pacific Raceways in the rain. Chief Instructor Don Kitch (Daytona 24hr winner) said learning to drive in the rain is the hardest and actually better learning environment. I did it with the SC's on and it was great. I bet I am one of the very few to even attempt it too. I love the SC's and think from the looks dept too no one comes close to them either.

Hey Eric, I'm gonna be one of the folks that gives a big thumbs down to the SC's. Horrible in the rain, IMHO. I just got back from the C5/6 Bash and the car was an absolute handful on the wet roads:eek:hnoes. At 60 mph it hydroplaned so badly it lite up the Active Suspension message and people were passing me like I was standing still.:mad with no apparent problems. Glad you're having good luck with 'em but be careful. My C4 had 275's on the front and 315s in the rear and was way more stable in the wet than the Z16 with SCs.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom