Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

What to use on the wheatherstrip?

Paul G

Corvette
96 CE LT4 Convertible
I need some ideas on what product is best to use on the wheatherstripping.

silicone

I use a tube of di-electric silicone (the kind used for plugs and connections). I put on rubber gloves and rub it onto the surface area, let it sit for a while then wipe off the excess.
Silver

Ok I was told NOT to use silicone because it was supposed to eat the seals. I was told to use a non silicone sealer but I havent yet because all my seals are brand new so I just clean and condition them. My problem is the damn leaks.

Im going to try bending down my tin flaps on the roof and repostion the seal but in the end I think Im going to have to replace to window motors (they're toast) but I have a 85 and the kit I need is for a 86 so I have to convert.

silicone vs petroleum

...are you sure it wasn't petroleum you were cautioned against?
Sil

Silicone...

I've heard the same thing about the silicone products like ArmorAll. They can draw the heat, for instance, on the dash, eventually perhaps causing it to dry out, crack, etc. I now use these products on my wheel wells! Got a lot to use up!!

Lemon Peel aka Elaine

Armor All

I wasn't aware it had silicone in it. I have also been disuaded from using Armor All on dashes and soft tops.
Sil

I'm still looking around, but all the weatherstrip lubricants I have seen or used are silicone based. Including 3-M products. I have used ArmorAll on weatherstripping for over 15 years with no adverse affects...soak a rag with it and apply to the weatherstrip...buff off the excess...keeps it off the paint. I would never use ArmorAll on dashboards, seats, convertible tops, etc...only tire sidewalls and weatherstrip, and occassionally on black rubber trim pieces when I want a quick cleanup. Sil's di-electric silicone is also excellent.

From my 2001 Corvette Owner's Manual, page 6-60:

Weatherstrips Silicone grease on weatherstrips will make them last longer, seal better, and not stick or squeak. Apply silicone grease with a clean cloth at least every six months. During very cold, damp weather more frequent application may be required. See "Recommended Fluids and Lubricants" in the Index.

GM recommends "Dielectric Silicone Grease (GM Part No. 12345579 or equivalent)."

I use the ArmorAll because, for me, it's easier to apply. I have to redo about every two months because it washes off easier, but it takes only a couple of minutes.

If you have applied aftermarket or special seals, the manufacturer may recommend some other lubricant. In that case, that is what I would use.

Dielectric grease

I used Dielectic grease on the weather strip on my 75 and it seems to work good. The only problem I see is make sure you wipe it off good around the door area, especially on the window pillar post at the rear of the window. If you don't it will get on your clothes when you get in and out of the car, as you may sometimes brush against it.

I forgot about my white shirt...

...with the permanant black streak on it! :L
Sil

When treating weatherstripping in order to add softness and prevent cracking, I use a product made by BMW. It's called BMW Gummi Phlege and the results are very nice.

If simply dressing the weatherstipping for show presentation, I like 303 Aerospace Protectant. The 303 also adds UV40, which is a plus.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom