Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: What's the best polish/wax out there for a newly-acquired C3?

dmdodd

Corvette
1979 L-48, Green-on-Green
Ladies and Gents, I am pleased to announce that I am the proud new owner of a '79 L48, bought last week from Reno, NV, and soon to be brought back down to Sacramento, CA.

Before anyone frets - the C3 should pass Cal SMOG just fine, as the car was originally from CA, and all the original equipment (especially the smog stuff) is still present. :thumb

Anyways, it looks like the paint is not original (as the small metal plate on the inside of the frame - visible when the driver's door is open - was covered with green paint, and there's some wierd man-made patterns in the paint (see pic below) I have to assume this was a respray).
The paint's in OK-poor condition, lots of watermarks and the paint displays small cracks when looking closely.
I don't really have the $2k++ for an original paint job, but I still want to get her gleaming - what is the best polish / wax for this car?

I was told by my father-in-law (who's a mechanic) to ask C3 owner's advice, as the glassfibre panels may require something different from the standard paint treatments.
I don't have any experience using mechanical buffers etc, so would prefer if all the work is by-hand (less to go wrong too!).

I look forward to hearing everyone's advice, and being an active 'Vette Fan.

~Dan

p.s. I know the wheels aren't the stock '79, but I'll get around to it some day :)

Dan :welcome and congrats on the new ride. :beer
You'll find that the "what is the best wax?" debate is in full swing here. ;LOL Check out our Care & Detailing foum, and more to the point, here is a link to a thread about the various waxes out there: What Wax Are You Using.

Be sure to post pics of your new ride when it shows up.

Jason

First you want to pick up half a dozen micro-fiber towels. Here is the process I used on mine and I was amazed by the result. Its all wipe on wipe off, no buffing. I used all Meguiars products just to keep it all the same. Each step is just as important as the rest.

1. wash your car with dawn. That will get off all the old wax that may be on there.
2. Use a clay bar. That will get out any grit that may be embedded in your paint.
3. I use meguiars deep crystal paint cleaner. Picks up some of the stuff the clay bar didn't and helps remove oxidation.
4. I use deep crystal polish. Gets out light scratches and swirl marks.
5. NXT tek wax. puts on the mirror finish and protects the paint.

I did the whole car in two days and it was a night and day difference.

I've had absolutly fantastic results using 'Black Magic Liquid wax. Easy on and using a microfiber cloth it comes off right away leaving a brilliant deep shine that lasts a good six months. it was the consumers reports best pick for waxes and paint protection.

I'm a fan of Liquid Glass....

41RCDA4P90L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom