Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Wheel weights won't clear calipers

Pac-man

Corvette
1999 triple black vert.
Anyone please help. I have a 99 Vert. I bought C5 Magnesium wheels, stock sizes. The dealer says that the first tire he mounted on the front wheel will not clear the calipers because of the 3oz weight that he has to stick to the inside of the wheel. He said he cannot balance the wheel any other way such as moving the weights inboard. Any help appreciated, thank you.

I have the exact same set-up

The balancer I use will place all the weights on the inside

option 1 , if his doesn't , get another shop to do it

option 2 is to buy the golden colored weights and put them on the outside edge of the wheel
this is how they come from the factory

option 3 , shave the weights down

option 4 , shave the caliper

I reccomend option 1

Anyone please help. I have a 99 Vert. I bought C5 Magnesium wheels, stock sizes. The dealer says that the first tire he mounted on the front wheel will not clear the calipers because of the 3oz weight that he has to stick to the inside of the wheel. He said he cannot balance the wheel any other way such as moving the weights inboard. Any help appreciated, thank you.
Find a shop with a Hunter GSP 9700 Road Force Balancer with a technician that knows how to use it!~!!If it still needs 3oz of weight in 1 place,The tire or wheel needs replaced!:thumb:thumb:thumb

Find a shop with a Hunter GSP 9700 Road Force Balancer with a technician that knows how to use it!~!!If it still needs 3oz of weight in 1 place,The tire or wheel needs replaced!:thumb:thumb:thumb
or rotate the tire on the rim 180 degrees

or rotate the tire on the rim 180 degrees
Thats the reason for the GSP 9700 and a Technician that really knows how to use it!~!!It'll apply approx 750lb Road Force rolling resistance to the tire and tell the man where to clock the tire on the wheel for Optimum Balance and Minimal wheel and tire run out!~!!Tires last Longer,Alignment lasts Longer,Shocks lasts Longer,Tie Rods and Ball Joints last Longer and the car will ride smooth as silk due to less vibration! :thumb:thumb:thumb
I don't have 5 oz of weight total on all 4 tires on either of my C5's!~!! :D

What tires are on these wheels?

Also, what happened when the shop tried to balance the other three? Were they as far out of balance as the first one?

3oz is a "ton" of weight for a passenger car tire.

Rather than consider some of the unusual ideas like shaving the weights or modifying the brake calipers, I'd be looking at either 1) a tire which is defective or 2) a wheel that might have a flaw.

Heck...maybe the reason the previous owner sold the wheels is one of them has a defect.

When I first read the post, I was thinking the same exact thing as gmjunkie.
I have a friend that owns an alignment/tire shop.
We've talked a lot about what he sees come in.
He has Hunter equipment that does the road force balancing.
He's talked about trying several orientations of the wheel and tire to get the best results and how he's had to tell customers to go buy a new rim or even to return tires for different ones.

Take your car to a different place.
Find a place that is proud of their equipment and quality of work.

Great info, thank you all. The tires are Hankook from Tire Rack.

3oz is a "ton" of weight for a passenger car tire.
naw.....

I put 1/2 lb on the fronts of my ex boss's vw rabbit pick up

let's just say , it scared him.....:happyanim:

Great info, thank you all. The tires are Hankook from Tire Rack.

Bingo!

You buy cheap tires, you have a higher chance of tire-related balance problems.

Take the advice of others who've posted earlier....try a different tire shop and have them try mounting the tire in a different position, but know that Hankook is a low-end tire brand and those who purchase them cannot expect the same quality as you've find in a major brand tire. It just might be that you've got one tire that's badly out of balance. If that's the case, I'd call Tire Rack and ask for a replacement.

naw.....

I put 1/2 lb on the fronts of my ex boss's vw rabbit pick up

let's just say , it scared him.....:happyanim:
I'm kinda partial to Giant Zip Ties on the drive-shaft my self!~!!!:boogie:boogie:boogie

Bingo!

You buy cheap tires, you have a higher chance of tire-related balance problems.

Take the advice of others who've posted earlier....try a different tire shop and have them try mounting the tire in a different position, but know that Hankook is a low-end tire brand and those who purchase them cannot expect the same quality as you've find in a major brand tire. It just might be that you've got one tire that's badly out of balance. If that's the case, I'd call Tire Rack and ask for a replacement.
What I found out that was strange is that they actually are well reviewed :confused

Buy American put an American to work

What an idea :happyanim:
Hankook Manufactured in S. Korea :ugh don't see any quality issues there

Are any tires still made in USA?
I know Cooper used to be, but I don't think so any more.

Goodyear has tire plants in the U.S. In fact, many of the Eagle F1 tries are made in Lawton OK.

Goodyear has tire plants in the U.S. In fact, many of the Eagle F1 tries are made in Lawton OK.
Good to know.
I'm not a big fan of Goodyear tires, but the next time I need them, I may go with them if the ones I want are made in the USA.

;LOL;LOL
I wonder why Car and Driver was so high on them ? advertising dollars?

I'd shop around for another shop. I've run inexpensive tires before and had no problems.

If you still have problems... could be the tire or the wheel as folks have already stated.

Good luck!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom