Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Where to start? And some pics

PokerJoker

Corvette
Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the welcomes, I am brand new to all this. I thought I'd attach some pictures to show what I'm starting with.

I bought this 1981 a week ago Saturday, I was told it ran and was original, and the only thing they had done to it was new brakes and calipers all around. It had sat outside under a tree for a couple of years and the guy decided he wasn't ever going to have the time to fix it up so he decided to sell it...this is where I come in. I've always wanted a vette and the C3 is the body I grew up loving.

I payed $5000 for it (hope I didn't get taken--what do you think?). I know it needs a lot of work, but I think she has a lot of potential. I'm not interested in building a show car, I just want everything to work and run dependable. Something for my Wife and I to run around in on pretty weekends.

Here's what I know needs attention:
1. Headlights open, but lights don't come on
2. A/C doesn't work
3. Cruise doesn't work
4. Horn doesn't work
5. Windshield wipers don't work
6. Power steering leaks
7. Temp gauge doesn't work
8. Oil looks "thin"...not milky or foamy, but dark gray and thin. (I've not changed it yet, but its first thing on my list once I figure out how to get under it...lol, I'm building ramps for my ramps!
9. Need a paint job really bad, but that will come later

I was planning on starting with a basic tune-up, oil, filters, flush cooling system, plugs and wires, etc. and see how things are running after that. My daughter (16 year old) and I have been cleaning the dirt off of it since we got it home. If nothing else it's something we're doing together and that has been great.

It fires right up and runs pretty good...a little rough though. Any suggestions?

P.S. I did find the stamped numbers on the block, (right side, front --by the waterpump) and they do match my VIN! That's a good thing right?

Jeff

...I was planning on starting with a basic tune-up, oil, filters, flush cooling system, plugs and wires, etc. and see how things are running after that....

That's a step in the right direction. Tune her up and get her safely drivable, then see what else she needs. Resist the urge to want to do everything right away.

..I did find the stamped numbers on the block, (right side, front --by the waterpump) and they do match my VIN! That's a good thing right?...

A very good thing. She has her original engine.

Good luck.

:)

Here's what I know needs attention:
1. Headlights open, but lights don't come on
2. A/C doesn't work
3. Cruise doesn't work
4. Horn doesn't work
5. Windshield wipers don't work
6. Power steering leaks
7. Temp gauge doesn't work
8. Oil looks "thin"...not milky or foamy, but dark gray and thin. (I've not changed it yet, but its first thing on my list once I figure out how to get under it...lol, I'm building ramps for my ramps!
9. Need a paint job really bad, but that will come later

Jeff

First of all, you got a good deal for that car. Headlights are an easy fix. I haven't had A/C for a while now and never notice (ride with the windows down). I had to fix my horn ($50 and an hour of time). Windshield wipers definitely look rough. The thing that's going to cost you the most is obviously the paint job. You have the right idea by giving your car a tune up first then do the paint later. I'm glad to hear that the engine matches the VIN. Congrats on your new purchase and welcome to the forum. :upthumbs

Troy

Congrats on your purchase. Change all the fluids before you do any driving just to make sure you have good lubrication and cooling. Do plugs as well (ours were pretty rusted)
The headlights is probably the switch and should be an easy/cheap fix. Not sure about the wipers but shouldn't be too bad.
The horn is easy and might just need some cleaning. If not just use your finger.:finger
Who needs AC and Cruise. Top off motoring is the way to go :upthumbs
Power steering leaks are pretty normal and is a relatively easy fix (but it is messy)

Your interior looks in pretty good condition, maybe a carpet replacement is in order which luckily is not too expensive or hard and there are lots of supporting vendors to help you out.
As was said before, the paint will be the most expensive thing but take your time and work through all the other stuff to get it mechanically up to par.
Get yourself the AIM (assembly instruction manual) for your car. It will be your bestest friend in the whole world when it comes to your car.
Good luck and get to work on it so you can enjoy it this spring!

Also, get the shop manual for your year. You can find them on eBay. As you look over the manuals and do your own work you'll figure out what's missing and what does or does not function. The most important thing is to be patient. The expenses with these vettes can start adding up quickly. When you have questions just ask. Definitley, start with the obvious right now which has already been mentioned...

Congratulations on your "new" vette. You are on the right track. Clean her up, replace all fluids, including the brake fluid, tune her up and drive her.

There is nothing that you will have to do to that car that hasn't been done before and documented on this forum or one of many others on the WWW. Use the search function here, google it, and you will find much written on each and every subject. It is important that you learn before you leap.

I don't know your mechanical abilities or desire but even if you intend to ship out the work you need to get educated because half the mechanics out there will not know how to work on your car. You will need to guide them or be prepared to pay for their education by the hour. The AIM (assembly instruction manual) is invaluable and is available from all the vendors.

If you are inclined to do a lot of work yourself it is not brain surgery and can be very rewarding. Don't hesitate to post questions on the boards as there is a wealth of knowledge at your finger tips. Good luck and welcome to the hobby.

The engine and interior look good. Under the hood you are missing an air intake duct (real cheap) which I think makes the engine compartment look good. After you get it running good and the mechanics ironed out, you can get deal with the cosmetics later. Wouldnt hurt to check the u-joints and replace the rear end fluid too (with GM fluid and additive). Any idea on mileage?

Thanks for all the encouraging comments!:) I'm very excited about this project. To answer a couple of questions...

...it had painted (black) t-tops and they look decent, not great...the red plastic liner seems to be warped around the edge on one of them, and they need the weatherstripping replaced.

...mileage, the odometer doesn't work at the moment, it says 99k. I don't know how long it hasn't worked. Can you just fix the odometer or is it a part of the speedometer...speaking of the speedometer, mine works, but the needle is irratic and "clicks". Any thoughts?

I just finished changing the oil, that went pretty good. While I was under there took a look at the sparkplugs. Man! they're going to be fun to change, lol. They look very rusty, I hope they come out ok.

I pulled it up on some ramps, but it was still pretty low. Is it ok to jack it up one side at a time and put jackstands under it? Would that get it higher off the ground? My ramps are only like 8.5 inches high.

One other thing...the CCC is still there and plugged in...I plan on keeping it.

Thanks for all the help.

Jeff

Jeff,
first off: Congrats and Thanks for getting a beauty restored and back for what she was intended to do. Sounds like a Father-Daughter project and i think thats brilliant! :thumbs

Welcome to the CAC too !

Re the spark plugs: They can all be got to from above, no need to crawl under, like i did. :eyerole Just need to get your hands in between and/or loose up some parts, but you should be able to get all 8 out from above. A tip: Dont use a "flexible" wrench, use one that doesnt move the head, else you run the risk of breaking off the ceramic or the body of the spark plug (Dont ask how i know). ;)

Re raising it: Yes, you can jack her up one side, put a jackstand under that side, then go over to the other side and do the same. Go a little at a time, left-right and back again until you have the car up. Please use a jack with casters/wheels as the car will move during this and you want the jack to move with it. Also, make sure you jack up the front, use the handbrake AND put something behind the rear wheels to stop them from going anywhere.

Good luck and keeps us in the loop. It's always fun to watch (by proxy).. :)

:w
-Stefan

Let me start by saying" congratulations on your new Vette" welcome to the Corvette Cult.

sounds as if you've got your work cut out for you.It looks like you got a good deal for that vette!!!!
everything can be repaired it takes time, lots of patience,a few bloody knuckles and of course $$$$$$
but it is well worth it in the end.

good luck as you start your new adventure trying to get everything working again. we will be here if you need any help or get stuck on something.and be sure to keep posting as to your progress...

Good Luck!!!
be sure to check out the L-81 registry and register your '81 if you haven't done so already....

..mileage, the odometer doesn't work at the moment, it says 99k. I don't know how long it hasn't worked. Can you just fix the odometer or is it a part of the speedometer...speaking of the speedometer, mine works, but the needle is irratic and "clicks". Any thoughts?
cable is probably hanging up on something. Will need to be inspected. Could be broken/breaking where it goes into the speedo.

pulled it up on some ramps, but it was still pretty low. Is it ok to jack it up one side at a time and put jackstands under it? Would that get it higher off the ground? My ramps are only like 8.5 inches high.
Yeah, jacking up one side at a time is OK, but usually we use the jack plate in the front of the car, then from the sides towards the back. Some people suggest (and I do it now myself) is that when jacking up the car, release the hood and doors. I guess there's stress that gets placed on the doors & hood and they have been known to stress crack when fully latched. ;shrug That being true or not, I don't know. But it can't hurt, so I do it.

Over the life of the car, expect to drop at minimum another $10K-$15K in to it. The paint will be the biggest expense, but that usually is your last thing to do. Besides paint, you'll just find it's all nickels & dimes that start to add up rather quickly. Especially if the wife is finicky about what she's driving.

:welcome

The engine and interior look good. Under the hood you are missing an air intake duct (real cheap)
From the looks of it, he's missing the entire air intake ductwork. There should be ducts above the radiator. I don't see them. Check here. If you can't find the proper pieces, make a phone call.

That's what I thought. Or was told by the wife. I've easily doubled that number. :ugh
Yeah, notice that I specified minimum. We're never happy and never stop at the minimum... :L

Hey Jeff...I was just looking over your pics again. I see that you are in Georgia. Does it snow in GA? I'm asking because I noticed that the car has winter wiper blades on it, which would seem to indicate the car has seen snow. And if that's the case, then you'll want to do further inspections (if you haven't already) of the frame and other rust-prone areas.
Also, I'm not sure what hose that is that has duct tape on it, but be sure to fix that properly, i.e. "replace the hose", don't 'Bubba' it with tape. :thumb

(I'm still curious as to why they removed the air intake ductwork...:confused)

A few steps in the right direction.

Hi Evoloution,

We don't get much (if any) snow here in GA. The guy I bought the car from lives near me, just across the TN line. But he told me he bought the car from a man in Atlanta...they get less snow than I do here in North GA. Before that I don't know where the car lived.

I inspected the frame and it looks pretty good, looks like just some surface rust, but everything seems pretty solid. I'll post some pics soon...I've got some engine questions too. I'll take a picture of the engine and circle a few things for you guys to identify (I'm such a beginner...lol).

The oil change went well, I changed the spark plugs, my new wires are on order and should be here Monday.

I think this car has been in the hands of a "bubba" in the past. There was a zip tie holding the choke linkage open, I don't know why, I cut it off and it seems to work ok, although I've not been out driving it a lot yet...basically just test drives around the block. Why do you think someone would do that?

I think they (at one time) were working on the air conditioner condenser, because it had a very bad "kink" in the tubing near the bottom. I think it actually had a hole in it. I believe that might be why the ductwork is missing.

I had to unhook and remove the condenser to clean all the leaves, sticks and pine needles out from the front grill of the radiator. There was no way to get in there without removing the condenser...(I hope). Because I took it out, cleaned and flushed the radiator...it looks pretty good now!

Still having fun...two weeks in. The only gauge that worked was the fuel gauge, and no check engine light comes on...ever. So I pulled the center console out and sure enough the check engine light is gone...socket too. That circuit board looking thing is in pretty rough shape also.

I guess I should replace that and the check engine light, before I can determine if my ECM is working...right?

I'll take a few pics and post them...thanks for all the help.

Jeff

Jeff, a lot of these questions can probably be answered by the people in the L81 group forum. (The L81 is the only engine option for your and only used in 1981, hence the naming convention.)
Many of the question pertaining to the ECM and other engine controls are usually easily answered by them.
This main C3 forum is good for total visibility, but if you haven't done so yet, you might want to make a "cross promotion" of sorts in the L81 forum where you also posted your spark plug gap question.

All in all, you won't come across many things that you can't get answered in the CAC forums. It's usually pretty quick too, but once in awhile it may take a week or two. So be patient whenever possible. :thumb
And again, welcome aboard! :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom