Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Which Chip, Hypertech Or Tpis?

P

pauls

I'm wondering about the benefit of a performance chip on a 85 TPI. I've read that the 85's ECM has less memory than later models, and that aftermarket generic chip ( Hypertech , Jet, etc ) gains are minimal over stock GM chip on these. Is this so? Also wondering on this model if Hypertech Thermomaster, with a cooler t-stadt will give power you will FEEL, or should I look to a custom burned and are they REALLY worth the $$$? I understand TPIS supposedly has high quality custom burned chips. Has anyone tried one of theirs or any other custom burned chip and was it worth it? Also, where should base timing be set with these for max benefit? My ride is basically stock with the usual free/ low cost mods,etc.....Thanks all!

I couldn't agree more with Len. I did go with the Stage ll because of the heat down here in S. Florida. Now she runs at 190 tops in the heat and with a noticable difference in response. I too run the open air box with K&N and modified exhaust on my 85. I don't know about the TPIS product so I can't help you there. I did move my base timing back to factory specs to eliminate any detonation along with relocating the AIT sensor.
Go for it and enjoy the ride:dance

I also went with the thermomaster "cooler" chip with the 160 tstat and fan switch. Mine runs at 160 +-5 degrees and I can tell a difference, expecially at WOT. I now get tire chirps. I too can not speak about tpis as I have never had one.

HYPERTECH

I got the hypertech, KN filter and 160 F Thermostat. A big difference from take off to top speed. Go Hypertech!!!!

pauls said:
I'm wondering about the benefit of a performance chip on a 85 TPI. I've read that the 85's ECM has less memory than later models, and that aftermarket generic chip ( Hypertech , Jet, etc ) gains are minimal over stock GM chip on these. Is this so? Also wondering on this model if Hypertech Thermomaster, with a cooler t-stadt will give power you will FEEL, or should I look to a custom burned and are they REALLY worth the $$$? I understand TPIS supposedly has high quality custom burned chips. Has anyone tried one of theirs or any other custom burned chip and was it worth it? Also, where should base timing be set with these for max benefit? My ride is basically stock with the usual free/ low cost mods,etc.....Thanks all!

on an '85..... save your money! I had a hypertech when I bought my eprom programmer. Once I saw how little they changed in the '85 Thermomaster chip, I was upset. I began burning my own chips for my car and did a much better job.

You can just hook up a fan switch to turn your fans on anytime you want then add a 160 stat and bump your base timing up to 10 degrees and you'll accomplish pretty much everything a Hypertech chip does.

If you want a chip for your '85 I'll gladly make you one for less than half what you would spend elsewhere and give you a money back guarantee. I can be well trusted (I'm a moderator on another popular corvette forum) and I think you'll be happy with the chip.

Email me for more info. cmarcho@hotmail.com

What chip. Hypertech or Tpis

pauls,
My experience with this cold water system was that it was not too effective. Of course this was for a Fiero but my guess is that it works the same for a Vette.

The response from Marcho Polo sums of what my findings were. When we dumped the data from the chip we found that the only difference was a spark advance at WOT. Thats why the front end comes up when you nail it. If you aren't careful you will also get a lot of pre-ignition noise. The knock sensorwill not correct all of it. We partially solved the problem by advancing the spark but then we had to run premium gas to keep if from knocking at lower speeds.

The other point to remember when you start changing thermostats is that the thermostat only controls the lower temperature. In other words once it opens it has no more control. It will not hold your engine at 160 degrees unless that is where your engine runs normally. Most Vettes I have had do not run anywhere near 160, usually closer to 190 or higher, depending on the weather conditions.
The best advice is the manual fan switch. That will control the upper limit of the temperature quite well.

The thing Hypertech used to try to sell was that 160 degree water going through the throttle body would lower the temp of the throttle body thus providing denser air for the engine which would equate to more HP. I doubt you will notice this elusive HP in practice since it is doubtful that the water running through the throttle body has enough influence over the density of the air going through the TB, especially since the stat alone will have trouble maintaing the water at 160 without a manual fan switch.
This feature's purpose was to prevent TB icing in extremely cold temps. (where most Vettes are stored instead of driven) I would hazard a guess that the water through the TB could be disconnected with no visable effects on driveability.

Hope this helps...Good luck with it.....boblx2a

ummm...almost

maxrevs85 said:
Where is the ECM located on the 85?....I need to buy some manuals ,soon!
The location of the ecm is behind the breadbox on the passenger side. Not that big a deal to get to if you are limber. Disconnect the wireing (white and black connector) and remove the two bolts holding it in. Boom, take the ecm straight out.

I do have an issue with the previous post. I bought the fan switch (160 degree) because it was recommended if you want your car to run at 160. The stock fan switch turns the fan on at 190, which is where the fan will run if you don't change it out. Also, if you do choose a thermomaster, they CLEARLY state that the chip is formulated for premium gasoline (91 octane or higher).

--Drew:w

A couple of comments... my 2cents worth...
The 160deg thermostat just means it opens at a cooler temp and the whole cooling system is now flowing instead of it being trapped in the engine only. That is about all a thermostat does that I'm aware of. On the 84 I had I went with the Hypertech and 160 stat. I noticed a little improvement but didn't like the 160 stat. I know the C4s have a high thermostat, 190-195. That was apparently for emissions purposes as I understand it. However, once the thermostat opens it's done its job. It's not likely to close again until after you turn the car off. I could see dropping down to maybe 180 like some of the older Chevies but I had problems with 160 in cold weather.
If you want the TB to be cooler you can just use a bypass. I've done it. Not sure that I can say it did anything though.
As far as knocking because you weren't running premium. Well I find that to go against the GM recommendation. The car was designed to run on Premium with the GM chip. Also with Hypertech, TPIS, DRM, etc.. I have yet to see one designed for anything but Premium.
I'm interested in the TPIS one though. They seem to have a pretty healthy list of what they adjust for. They will take into account not only your engine mods but also any changes in rear gears, transmission, etc.. That seems like more than just messing with the timing like what you guys are saying with Hypertech.
Graham

Mostly...

The most noticeable thing I see from the chip is that it changed my shift points and at WOT it will tach higher than it used to. I am wondering though if GM made a hotter chip than standard. I have a few GM chips and one of them I got from a GM dealer. He said it was the "hot chip" from GM for this car. Any truth in that I wonder?
--Drew:w

Hey Drew,
Funny you should mention that. Someone had told me a while back to go and try find the GM hot chip. Never found one so I'm not sure if it's just folklore or not.
Since I've changed my rear gears I wonder what exactly TPIS would do with the custom prom.
My GM prom and the current setting for my trans is actually quite nice. If they bumped up the 1st gear shift point that would be bad. Since I swapped gears if I give it any amount of throttle from a standstill when turning a street corner forget it. The ASR kicks in as soon as the car shifts to 2nd...
Graham

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom