Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Which is better Carfax or Autocheck

JoeB

Corvette
1994 Torch Red Hatchback
Before I shell out the money to check a VIN I was wondering which will provide the best information.

Hey Fast
I hope Iam not taking advantage of your offer. But if I give you mine could you do the same?

I'll be looking at a '96 tomorrow. Would it be possible to get this done as well? Thanks.

I'll be looking at a '96 tomorrow. Would it be possible to get this done as well? Thanks.

yes, but today (4-25-2007) is the last day of my 30 day usage period.....

anybody that wants reports , speak now and include a fax number as i can't email the reports.

Freddie my fax did not come thru
Fax # 303-987-6646
VIN 1G1YY2384L5105357

Thanks
Joe

Well Lately I have Little Confidence in Either!!!!
I bought a Nice 1 owner Vette at the local Manhiem Auction 3 week ago, CarFax picked up Nothing and Auto Check picked up a Mileage Discrepancy of 400 miles!!! After notifying the action house, to let them know I was bringing it back because I bought it with a Green Light and Guaranteed Miles,they refused because it was Only a 400 mile Discrepancy,so I got in contact with my State Inspector and he found it had had 4 owners and 2 Major Damage Clam's and Impounded once that CarFax or Auto Check never picked up!!!!!:eek:hnoes :eek:hnoes So Now I have to get a Attorney and Sue the Dealer that Sold it to me at the sale,Because the Auction House won't make him buy it back!!!:mad :mad The Heck of it is the car is Really Nice,and I've checked it Bumper to Bumper and can Find no evidence of Frame or Structural Damage, just a little paint work!!!;shrug So I've got $14,000 in a Car that I won't sell to a customer,and my $$$$ will be tied up for months!!!!:eyerole :eyerole

I was able to get a Dealer friend to run the CARFAX for me yesterday afternoon. Very interesting. What I was told was a 2 owner car that had never been damaged or repainted turned out to be with the 7th owner. It had also been in an accident involving a front impact or collision with Moderate/Severe Damage! I became a little suspicious of the owner not having the tool to remove the top and telling me he had never had it off. Possibly something bent or out of shape? Who knows, just glad I didn't drive 400 miles to look at it!

Hey gmjunkie, did you register for the Carfax guarantee? I've always wondered if that was worth anything. That's scary something like that would get throught he cracks. Makes you wonder just how accurate any of them are.

Hey gmjunkie, did you register for the Carfax guarantee? I've always wondered if that was worth anything. That's scary something like that would get throught he cracks. Makes you wonder just how accurate any of them are.
There is No Guarantee for a Dealer!!!! I have found that Auto Check is more accurate,but Not Carved in Stone!!! My personal car has showing 2 accidents the same day,but it was in only one very minor less than $800!! The reports are written by 2 Different law enforcement Agency's the same day same accident,Ga state Patrol,Gilmer County Ga Deputy!!!! Both State car had right side Impact with a ditch,Both are wrong,I was parked off the road waiting for them to clear the road from another accident and a Drunk slid into me on the Ice and barley bumped me in LT rear!!!:upthumbs

Well Lately I have Little Confidence in Either!!!!
I bought a Nice 1 owner Vette at the local Manhiem Auction 3 week ago, CarFax picked up Nothing and Auto Check picked up a Mileage Discrepancy of 400 miles!!! After notifying the action house, to let them know I was bringing it back because I bought it with a Green Light and Guaranteed Miles,they refused because it was Only a 400 mile Discrepancy,so I got in contact with my State Inspector and he found it had had 4 owners and 2 Major Damage Clam's and Impounded once that CarFax or Auto Check never picked up!!!!!:eek:hnoes :eek:hnoes So Now I have to get a Attorney and Sue the Dealer that Sold it to me at the sale,Because the Auction House won't make him buy it back!!!:mad :mad The Heck of it is the car is Really Nice,and I've checked it Bumper to Bumper and can Find no evidence of Frame or Structural Damage, just a little paint work!!!;shrug So I've got $14,000 in a Car that I won't sell to a customer,and my $$$$ will be tied up for months!!!!:eyerole :eyerole

I total agree. I don't think the carfax is not worth anything. Some one was kind enough to run one for me. It really didn't tell anything. I guess I thought if you run a vin number, you would get the total history of that car.

So this State Inspector might be the hot tip. So how does the average joe, get a true history of the car?

Maybe you can try it. VIN : 1G1YY22P0T5115764 / FAX: 406-222-6388 Thanks!

I don't know what I'm talking about but this seems to be the right time and place to be educated...

With the rising prices of collector cars being what they are, can a car's title be "laundered" to hide accidents? Do the laws in some states differ enough to allow it to happen? If so, how accurate would Carfax or Autocheck be if someone wanted to go through the trouble of hiding a car's history?

Just asking. ;shrug

I don't know what I'm talking about but this seems to be the right time and place to be educated...

With the rising prices of collector cars being what they are, can a car's title be "laundered" to hide accidents? Do the laws in some states differ enough to allow it to happen? If so, how accurate would Carfax or Autocheck be if someone wanted to go through the trouble of hiding a car's history?

Just asking. ;shrug
Yes it can be Done!!! I think there is only 2 states that the laws are laxe enough to pull it off!!! But then that is what Carfax and Auto Check is supposed to be all about!!! This perticuler car that I bought,the Crap happend between Florida and South Carolina back in 2001!!! Since then South Carolina and Florida have both changed the Law!!!I'm not sure what states it is able to be pulled off in,But every Dealer I know really watch out on West Virgina and Tennessee Titles!!

Just asking. ;shrug

I've learned that as long as the car's title is not branded (i.e., salvaged, etc.), the state has no obligation to tell you it's been in an accident, which leaves most consumers to rely on accurate reporting from AutoCheck or CarFax.

CarFax and Autocheck rely on their sources to provide accurate/timely reports. If it's never reported, no one else would ever know about it.

In CarFax's fine print, they suggest you take the car to be inspected...after they take your $25.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom