Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Who's got the best weather strip kit's?

gmjunkie

Corvette
03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe
I need all weather strips for a 86!! I need a complete Kit,who has the best Prices and Fit?????;shrug ;shrug

junk!!

Have you tried the Ecklers set? I think it's close to $800 or so but it's about as close to perfect fit, at least that's according to what I've read.

hey Junkie, I bought several pieces from LoneStar MuscleCar (they sell on ebay). I am very satisfied with the product, 15 year warranty and reasonably priced. The pieces that I bought were A & B pillar and doors. My rear glass and targa sides were in good shape so I didn't replace them.

Here's a link to their current auction. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-8...ategoryZ6755QQihZ009QQitemZ190047283588QQrdZ1

Thanks Edmond!!! I can get them from GM for about that my cost, thats probly what I will do!!! I just thought that somebody may have started making them now a little cheaper!!
How the hell ya been anyway??:upthumbs

junk!!

Junk,

Thing is, I don't know if I trust the aftermarket stuff to be spec'd as good as the GM stuff.

As for me, I'm doing good. Work is about all I'm doing these days.

Well, I can say that the stuff I bought is every bit as good as the junk I took off.

Tom, how would describe the process of changing out? any special tools or equipment needed? a real pain or ???

Thanks, Ted

A few years ago, I had to do the weather stripping on my old '92. After trying a couple of 'aftermarket' versions and getting no where, I ended up with the GM factory stuff. Glad I did. So is the guy that bought it. :)

Tom, how would describe the process of changing out? any special tools or equipment needed? a real pain or ???

Thanks, Ted

Ted, the anticipation of doing it was worse than the job. I didn't need any "special" tools, but needed putty knife, I used a sharp wood chisel, I had some lacquer thinner (weatherstrip adhesive remover would have probably been better), then some sockets to remove the screws that hold the w/s in place. From what I gathered researching this before I started, the biggest problem people encounter is they pull too hard and stretch the w/s until it is too long for the application. Make sure you don't overdo the adhesive, it really doesn't take that much.

I spent about hour doing the door w/s one day and spent about 3 hours another day doing the A and B pillar w/s. If you buy from LoneStar MuscleCar, make sure that you specify that you want the "higher priced" door weatherstrips, these have the same moulded ends as the factory. Which have the plastic reinforcement at the ends which the screws go through into the door.

I need all weather strips for a 86!! I need a complete Kit,who has the best Prices and Fit?????;shrug ;shrug

junk!!

Hey Junk,
I replaced my rear window, A & B pillar weatherstripping this summer. In retrospect, if I had to do it all over again, I'd get the OEM weatherstripping. Seriously.
The aftermarket stuff is cheaper, but the fit isn't dead-on perfect either. I bought LoneStar's product off of eBay. It wasn't bad, but it just missed on some of the finer points of contact. It also didn't have the internal wire running inside it like the stock w.s. does. That particular product also runs a bit thicker than stock. So, be prepared to take off your door panels to adjust your driver and passenger window fit.
A must-
Adhesive remover--the big can.
If you soak the old stuff right, most of it will pull out of the grooves. Then just use your weatherstripping tools--or screw driver, putty knives, etc..., to remove the excess. Get it all out. Make sure it's dry, then apply your adhesive. Good luck. :w

Hey Junk,
I replaced my rear window, A & B pillar weatherstripping this summer. In retrospect, if I had to do it all over again, I'd get the OEM weatherstripping. Seriously.
The aftermarket stuff is cheaper, but the fit isn't dead-on perfect either. I bought LoneStar's product off of eBay. It wasn't bad, but it just missed on some of the finer points of contact. It also didn't have the internal wire running inside it like the stock w.s. does. That particular product also runs a bit thicker than stock. So, be prepared to take off your door panels to adjust your driver and passenger window fit.
A must-
Adhesive remover--the big can.
If you soak the old stuff right, most of it will pull out of the grooves. Then just use your weatherstripping tools--or screw driver, putty knives, etc..., to remove the excess. Get it all out. Make sure it's dry, then apply your adhesive. Good luck. :w
Thanks!! I have no problem with the glue,I use KENT "Special Release Agent" spray them every 20-30 min and let soak a couple times, and pull them off glue and all!! Works good on Hood and Fuel door emblems too!! Makes the glue like rubber cement,roll it off and roll it up it Looks and Feels Like a Big Bugger!!:D
junk!!

Go for the original GM parts. I think http://www.artscorvetteparts.com had them some time ago. I replaced my front window strip with Ecklers and do not like it at all. Texture of the material and geometry is not the same as GM.

Cheers,

Selim

Thanks!! I have no problem with the glue,I use KENT "Special Release Agent" spray them every 20-30 min and let soak a couple times, and pull them off glue and all!! Works good on Hood and Fuel door emblems too!! Makes the glue like rubber cement,roll it off and roll it up it Looks and Feels Like a Big Bugger!!:D
junk!!

Where did you get Kent? Do they have a web sit? Thanks, Jack

That don't Look like the can!! Same Kent Insignia though!! Kent makes 100's of Body Shop and Dealership supply's!!! I get mine in Fla. from a buddy that has a Shop!!!
A salesman comes around once a month to the Shops and Dealerships!! It was the same when I lived in Mo.and Ill. But we don't have a man here!!(North Carolina is still in the Dark Ages!!there's alot of Great Products that no one has ever heard of here!!) Same with Snap-On and Mac!!! I have to go drive around a bigger city and find a Snap-On and Mac man making his Rounds here!!! 3M makes a stuff called "Release Agent" too, but it don't work as well!!!:upthumbs

junk!!

Junk,

Do you guys have indoor plumbing and/or electricity? :L

Junk,

Do you guys have indoor plumbing and/or electricity? :L
I do!! But I have 3 neighbors that don't!!!;LOL :L Bad thing is you probly Think I'm kidd'n,But I'm Not!!!;LOL ;LOL ;LOL :rotfl

junk!!

That don't Look like the can!! Same Kent Insignia though!! Kent makes 100's of Body Shop and Dealership supply's!!! I get mine in Fla. from a buddy that has a Shop!!!
A salesman comes around once a month to the Shops and Dealerships!! It was the same when I lived in Mo.and Ill. But we don't have a man here!!(North Carolina is still in the Dark Ages!!there's alot of Great Products that no one has ever heard of here!!) Same with Snap-On and Mac!!! I have to go drive around a bigger city and find a Snap-On and Mac man making his Rounds here!!! 3M makes a stuff called "Release Agent" too, but it don't work as well!!!:upthumbs

junk!!

I understand about the Snap on guy. Mine does not realize anyone out sided shops exist. I use www.snapon.com .

junk!!

A couple of years ago I bought the complete kit for my 92 from ecklers and it fit perfectly. It's listed in the summer catalog for 549.99....unless it's a convertable, then it's cheaper. I can't find a fall catalog and my puter here at work is being a pain, so they may have gone up some since summer but hopefully not too much...did you look up that price online Edmond?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom