Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why buy a new Callaway?

CO GEEZER

Corvette
2011 OL' Yeller GS VERT
Okay, this is my situation ... what am I missing?

Car #1 is a new 09 Callaway SE Convertible, 4LT, Auto Convertible with the full Callaway $26k package including wheels, steering wheel, etc. I guess it is one of 29 for 09 and is priced at $91k (discounted about 6k from MSRP)

Pro's: Attractive, unique car but basicly standard Convertible with blower and really nice wheels.

Con's: Standard Corvette suspension, brakes, body (IE: needs all the
Z06 improvements that comes with the Grand Sport)

My gut feel is that resale value would not be much more than a standard used 09 Convertible with a blower addition after you drove it off the floor. Also, isn't this a limited relsale market?

Can probably buy a new or slightly used ZR-1 with 100k factory warranty for the same price this fall which will hold it's resale value much better (my assumption).

Car No.2: Simply order a new Grand Sport and add the new $9k Edelbrock supercharger kit.

Pro's: Total cost will be less... probably low to mid $70's total, assuming that the larger dealers will continue offerening the $8k or larger discount.

Resale will probably be equal to the Callaway except for the loyal buyers.

Performance shoud be superior due to Z06 elements of base car.

Con's: Not a Callaway.

Question: Why consider the Callaway????

Thoughts anyone?

Interesting arguments Oakley.
As you've laid it out here, I'd go for a Grand Sport.
It seems to me you'd be getting comparable performance with a lower pricetag.

Whatever you decide - post pix when you pull the trigger on it. :thumb

:wJane Ann

I like your idea of waiting until you can pick up a ZR1 in your price range. Doesn't sound like it will be long.

Cheers,
Scott

Another Option

Geezer.....your biggest problem is your concern around "resale". Take that out of the equation and purchase the most for the money. Think about buying a low milage C6/Z06 and sending it to Lingenfelter. In the end you'll have a Vette that will kick everyone's azz. Including those "girly" Callaways.:L
Remo:cool

Keep in mind for #2... Add the blower and kiss the warrantee goodbye! You seem to be considering everything else...;shrug

Just one man's opinion, but I would have to agree with Remo. If you're looking for an investment, buy a restored Hemi Cuda or Chevelle. If you want to have fun, buy the Z06. That's what I did.

:w

Hey Geezer - talk about serendipity! If you're looking for a used low mileage ZR1 with a cool history you can mention when talking about your monster 638 HP Vette at carshows... here's the one for you:

Tim Allen's ZR1 is For Sale

:thumb

<snip>
Can probably buy a new or slightly used ZR-1 with 100k factory warranty for the same price this fall which will hold it's resale value much better (my assumption).
<snip>

If that's the case (and I believe your assumption is accurate) I suggest considering changing up and going with the ZR-1.

If you can get the ZR-1 with the warranty, your re-sale value to purchase price ratio should be pretty decent.

:w Save the Wave :w

Geezer.....your biggest problem is your concern around "resale". Take that out of the equation and purchase the most for the money. Think about buying a low milage C6/Z06 and sending it to Lingenfelter. In the end you'll have a Vette that will kick everyone's azz. Including those "girly" Callaways.:L

Remo, that is about as ignorant of a statement as they get. Wow... No facts, just banter... :eyerole

Keep in mind for #2... Add the blower and kiss the warrantee goodbye! You seem to be considering everything else...;shrug

:werd: The Callaway has a powertrain warranty that is matchless is the performance aftermarket.

I know the car you are asking about - it is Reeves Callaway Signature Edition (RCSE) #02 and is the only 4LT convertible RCSE. Pretty neat. I saw the car at Purifoy a couple months ago. Again, pretty neat! :cool

If you have your heart set though on a wide body, make a deal on a 2010 Grand Sport Convertible and add the Callaway SC606 package - here is a pic of one that was just delivered through the Corvette Museum R8C program. Callaway is the only specialty manufacturer to be allowed to deliver cars in this manner :thumb

I hope this helps :beer

Cgs10007b.jpg

as a callaway owner remo has no clue what he is talking about.. none what so ever , he can say whatever he wants and he looks like the girly..all corvettes are cool and all have their own fan base..lingenfelter vettes are neat too,... I think its nice to own something different..i love getting comments on my callaway and thats what you pay for on top of all the performance, warranty, and especially just being part of the callaway family that comes along with buying a callaway...

Remo

I agree with clif, as a #01 of #029,2009 RCSE owner I'm a little taken back at you calling my callaway a girly car. I'm very proud of this crystal red 6 speed coupe. many thumbs up and people that seem to love her at shows so far. According to one of the vette mags, less than 1% of all cars made can beat it from 0 to 100 and back to 0. I could call your silver a fa--y car but i will not................................................Billy :boogie

Upon Further Review

You guys are right. I'm just an old, Cro-Magnon, knuckle dragging, ignorant, SOB. Perhaps I could have put that Lingenfelter Z06 "option" a little more delicately. I was just offering a more cost effective alternative. The Callaways are lovely cars. In the future I'll be more sensitive.

A few years back Callaway asked me why I chose them to modify my cars over other companys like Lingenfelter. I told them that if I still lived in Indiana, I would have my cars done at Lingenfelter.
Since I am living in Connecticut and they were near by (plus my cars had to pass Emissions testing) I chose Callaway Cars.

Cgs10007b.jpg
[/QUOTE]

WOW :drool: I think I may be hooked.Thanks for the good feed back everyone. I think this car shown above is awesome. I'm sold!

I now realize that I should have noted in my Pros vs Cons that I am really more interested in doing car shows and touring than competing on the track. Thus the desire for a unique car with bragging rights but not necessarly the highest performance.

I'd also like to move to an automatic in my old age and that pretty much rules out a Z06 or a ZR-1 although I still think they may hold their values better, Sorry that I didn't clarify that earlier Remo, maybe it would have kept you out of hot water.:bash

Does make me wonder however: If this Callaway is considered a Girley car, would driving a Z06 or ZR1 make me macho enough that people might ignore my man-boobs and liver spots? :ugh Nah, Probably not.. heavy sigh.

See ya all at the CruiseFest?:beer

Cgs10007b.jpg

WOW :drool: I think I may be hooked.Thanks for the good feed back everyone. I think this car shown above is awesome. I'm sold!

I now realize that I should have noted in my Pros vs Cons that I am really more interested in doing car shows and touring than competing on the track. Thus the desire for a unique car with bragging rights but not necessarly the highest performance.

I'd also like to move to an automatic in my old age and that pretty much rules out a Z06 or a ZR-1 although I still think they may hold their values better, Sorry that I didn't clarify that earlier Remo, maybe it would have kept you out of hot water.:bash

Does make me wonder however: If this Callaway is considered a Girley car, would driving a Z06 or ZR1 make me macho enough that people might ignore my man-boobs and liver spots? :ugh Nah, Probably not.. heavy sigh.

See ya all at the CruiseFest?:beer[/QUOTE]
Note; This car only has 606hp!
The Callaway Z06 has 652 girly hp!:W
What ever your choice; enjoy it!:thumb

You can't go wrong with Callaway and Lingenfelter is also a great product.:)

I

See ya all at the CruiseFest?:beer

Did you buy the original SE Callaway you were talking about?

I was talking with the folks at Purifoy about their 50th Anniversary show and they told me the car sold - they actually had three interested parties.

If you didn't buy this one, did you order a Callaway Grand Sport? The Corvette Manager said he has a few new ones in line...

Enjoy! :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom