Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Why Don't Production Numbers Add Up?

Wolverine

Corvette
1976 Bright yellow L82 4-speed
I have what may be a dumb question, but it has puzzled me for some time. I have a '76 Vette with a 4-speed. According to the production numbers, there were 46,558 Vettes built in '76. There were 2,088 built with the close ratio manual transmission and 36,625 with the turbo hydra-matic. That leaves 7,845 unaccounted for.

What else was there?

Brian

This is only my best guess

Brian,

At first glance it does seem to be a bit odd.. but I think the explaination for this is that the "Close Ratio" was an option along with the Automatic while the old standard 4-speed was the standard equipment. I am probably in error with the number here but it comes to mind that the Std. 4-speed was a "T-10" or as GM called them the "4-speed 83mm"

BudD
:w

BudD,

I thought of that as a possibility, and you're probably right. However, the cost of the close ratio manual and the turbo hydra-matic are both zero, as if one or the other come with the standard package.

Oh well, I guess this makes a good trivia question for a Friday afternoon.

Brian

You guys are on the right track.

There were 3 transmissions available at no extra cost as long as they were paired with the right engine.

The M20 wide ratio standard 4 speed (7845 made).
The M21 close ratio 4 speed (2088 made and only available on the L82 engine).
The M40 Turbo-Hydra-Matic (36,625 made. This one cost $134. extra if ordered with the L82).

I hope this clears things up.

Tom

See this a lot. People will total up the optional transmissions and forget about the standard trans.

tom...

Racer78 said:
. .. ... What are the odds of a 20 something year old Vette, I mean the tipical driver you fiond for sale for say $8000 or so, having all matching numbers? :)
Keith

;) Rare81 ;)

Keith,

I raised the question out of curiosity because I want to know everything I can about my own Vette. It's a hobby thing - I have no interest in selling it.

59Tom

Thanks for setting the record straight. This makes a lot of sense.

Brian

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom